1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Subway and Public Transportation Etiquette - The People We Encounter

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by patrickBOOTH, Nov 18, 2011.

1. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

Darwin alert
    [​IMG]
    ]

1 person likes this.
  2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Call me crazy, but I am kinda jealous.

3. Hayward

Hayward Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Passenger pigeons

1 person likes this.
  4. Gruntle

Gruntle Well-Known Member

Back in the 90's there was this black British lady who rode the A/C. she would walk thru the cars saying "Change to spare" over and over again. she was well known, me and the boys named her the change to spare lady. She had hit rock bottom, clothes were in taters, speech slurred, and she was drunk half the time. One day after school I get on the C at Lafeyette going towards the Broadway junction.The train is packed.when I get to Nostrand she hops on and starts her little act walking through asking for change to spare. She must of had a bad week, cause on that day she smelled like the bottom of a dumpster. The whole second car cleared out to the 1st and 3rd. I run to the first and I'm standing by the sliding door between cars and everyone is yelling not to let her walk through. I' m laughing my ass off until we get to the Junction so I can run out. I have never seen so many NYers on a train react like that.

5. gomestar

trains have been awful for the past two mornings. Nothing like a chilly Monday morning met by swarms of people affected by dodgy trains to ruin your inevitably crappy morning.

6. patrickBOOTH

I've been ok so far this week.

7. deepitm

deepitm Well-Known Member

I found the comment entertaining, and this typo was particularly endearing.

2 people like this.
  8. patrickBOOTH

Today was an awful day on the subway. Train was late and there was this couple with three kids in this giant fucking spaceship of a stroller taking up basically half of the car. A million irritated people and these two idiots looking into space like that don't see the problem.

9. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

That always drives me nuts.

Also drives me nuts when people have on huge backpacks on a crowded subway. Not only are they taking up the space of basically two people, but they are always slamming into people every time they turn around or the car jostles. Just take it off and put it on the ground between your legs, folks. Not that hard.

I swear, there needs to be like a license before people are allowed to ride the subway.

10. patrickBOOTH

Have you read my first page of this thread? It is well documented.

11. aravenel

Yep, but it's annoying enough that it's worth bitching about again :D Also, happened to me this AM...

12. patrickBOOTH

I feel your pain, buddy.

13. gomestar

i had a good trip this moring.

people with giant strollers should make an effort to occupy either the front car or the rear car during rush hour at all times

14. gomestar

it's something about "is the train far enough into the station?", which the gif suggests. Apparently after any incident in the station, the operators are asked if they pointed, meaning was the train fully into the station.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  15. aravenel

16. MRMan

MRMan Well-Known Member

Not sure if this category of rider has been discussed, but they are my new nemesis on my daily subway commute. They lack a rudimentary understanding of momentum/Newton's laws and have ruined a nice shine on several pairs of shoes in the past month.

Normally it's a Doc Martin's-wearing, lost in space tween or teen on a not too crowded train. Train is moving, said tween/teen is facing forward with feet together instead of a more logical sideways with feet slightly spread stance to brace for sudden acceleration/deceleration. As train comes to complete stop or accelerates quickly, person takes enormous 5-10 foot step forward/backward to brace themselves from falling, twice now landing on my newly polished shoes. I have learned my lesson and purposely watch for them now.

17. aravenel

Some dude stepped on my suede shoes like 4 times the other day. It was a crowded train, so I couldn't just move. It was super annoying.

18. texas_jack

texas_jack Well-Known Member

tell them to watch the fuck out.

19. patrickBOOTH

I hate sneaker douchebags.