1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Stylish way to carry an SLR?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Renault78law, Oct 19, 2008.

1. milosz

milosz Well-Known Member

There's a lot to say for digital (I certainly don't miss spotting prints or trying to flatten them), and my Lightroom/D700 combo gets close to the feel of the old days...

But there's nothing in a digital workflow that compares to seeing a print come up in Dektol for the first time.

2. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Well-Known Member

meaning that what you see through the viewfinder is exactly what you see in the final image. entry-level SLRs don't have that and would be missing the area around the edges of the frame, so their coverage might only be 90 or 95% of the frame. The viewfinder on my last camera was terrible, but the e-3 is a huge improvement.

In my experience, 95% of the frame is enough. The Nikon F and F2 show 100%. Not sure about the Leicaflex's coverage. Probably about 95%. My point was that the Leicaflex viewfinder is BRIGHT! By comparison, a friend's Nikon D80's viewfinder seemed dim and muddy.

3. Nantucket Red

There's a lot to say for digital (I certainly don't miss spotting prints or trying to flatten them), and my Lightroom/D700 combo gets close to the feel of the old days...

But there's nothing in a digital workflow that compares to seeing a print come up in Dektol for the first time.

I really miss darkroom work, but there's just no way for me to do it at this point. Fortunately, I have an excellent local lab.

4. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Wait, what were you talking about?

5. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

In my experience, 95% of the frame is enough. The Nikon F and F2 show 100%. Not sure about the Leicaflex's coverage. Probably about 95%. My point was that the Leicaflex viewfinder is BRIGHT! By comparison, a friend's Nikon D80's viewfinder seemed dim and muddy.

You should really be comparing to the d200/300 or d3 class if you're going to compare to leica. The viewfinders are generally bigger and brighter in the semi-pro and pro dSLRs, as opposed to the prosumer stuff like the d80. I know it's that way for Olympus and I'm pretty sure Canikon do the same thing. My e-3 has more coverage than my older olympus, but it's also much brighter. The d300 seemed similar when i was testing it out, although i didn't pay a huge amount of attention to it since it was good enough.

6. milosh

milosh Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that the viewfinders in the d200 and the d80 are very simmilar. On the other hand D3/D700 versus anything aps-c is a much bigger difference. The key differences in DSLR viewfinders are because of sensor size and wether it uses a pentamirror or a pentaprism system.

7. Nantucket Red

I can easily enough do this comparison if the local Nikon showroom has a D3 or D700. However, I think the exercise for any of us is purely academic, since I'm not in the market for a Nikon DSLR and you're probably not in the market for a '70s era film camera that weighs as much as a panzer tank. (When Slim accused me of just being nostalgic, he was basically right when it comes to the Leicaflex. In any case, I can use the lenses for it if I get the digital R10 when it finally comes out.)

The brightness of the Leicaflex viewfinder was achieved by dispensing with the conventional fresnel lens, using a full glass lens instead, and substituting a very fine microprism field for the groundglass field around the central focusing spot. The only thing I've seen come close for brightness is dropping an H focusing screen (full field microprism) into my Nikon F2, but the performance doesn't compare if you try to preview dof.

Anyway, this is all just for whatever it's worth at this point.

8. mps23

mps23 Well-Known Member

I usually sling it on my shoulder as I only use one lens, usually a 50mm Summitar.

My photography is done furtively as I don't like people to be aware I am photographing them.

this is usually the best way to carry around a camera, unless you enjoy wasting 2-5 seconds ripping the camera out of your bag & trying to snap a fleeting moment on the street.

just get a comfortable strap & don't worry about your camera getting beaten up unless it's a fragile piece like a brownie.

9. milosz

milosz Well-Known Member

If it's a Brownie, don't worry about it getting beaten up because you can find another for $20.

10. Serg

Serg Well-Known Member

[​IMG] fixed Olympus micro four thirds concept. rumor is lecia is working on one as well. no viewfinder though =(

11. Southern-Nupe

Southern-Nupe Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Olympus micro four thirds concept. rumor is lecia is working on one as well. no viewfinder though =(
    I couldn't see the pic you provided, but I was wondering if the Olympus cam you referenced is the identical model to the Panasonic G1?

If so, I was interested in looking into one for my wife when available, however I was shocked to see the price-tag, given it's priced directly in the middle of the starter DSLR territory.

12. Serg

Serg Well-Known Member

fixed above. the Olympis concept is very compact and reminiscent of rangefinders like the Lecia in style and size.

13. Southern-Nupe

fixed above. the Olympis concept is very compact and reminiscent of rangefinders like the Lecia in style and size.
    It's obvious I was thinking of something else, but the camera you posted looks quite nice from an aesthetic point. I can't wait to see price and reviews.

.....I just wish it had a viewfinder.

14. Nantucket Red

Nice looking camera. Very similar in design to the Leica D-Lux 3 & 4. Adding a viewfinder would probably make the camera too large to be pocketable.

15. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

Nice looking camera. Very similar in design to the Leica D-Lux 3 & 4. Adding a viewfinder would probably make the camera too large to be pocketable.

Yep, although some will have an evf. They could be a very interesting selection in a couple of years time, but right now, the glass isn't good enough. That is a very attractive camera though. I'd love to have one that I would always keep on me.

16. Southern-Nupe

It would be nice if they went the route of a small optical viewfinder like the Canon SD powershots, if not optical, atleast an EVF would've made a nice compliment.

17. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

It would be nice if they went the route of a small optical viewfinder like the Canon SD powershots, if not optical, atleast an EVF would've made a nice compliment.

I'm sure you'll see EVF on something besides the g1.

18. The Wayfarer

The Wayfarer Well-Known Member

My setup right now is relatively small, so it's all just thrown in my 17" Freitag bag. Got my camera body, one lens, external flash, softbox, off-camera shoe chord, and I'm good to go.

19. paradoxbox

paradoxbox Member

nikon has you all fooled anyway, the 95% viewfinder is from corner to corner. you're still losing a whole whack of viewable space on the edges. who cares though, all of the pro camera bodies have viewfinders far better than "good enough". i have a d2x and its viewfinder is fantastic.

p.s. the most stylish way to carry an slr is bandolier style over one of your shoulders (i.e. it hangs off your shoulder, not around your neck).

20. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

p.s. the most stylish way to carry an slr is bandolier style over one of your shoulders (i.e. it hangs off your shoulder, not around your neck).

This I agree with!