1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Stylish, Functional and Durable Winter Boots - Too much to ask?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by korce, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Well-Known Member

Alright all you Katahdin guys, whats the final word on sizing. Normal shoe/sneaker size, or size down like RW?

2. otc

otc Well-Known Member

I'm in an 11 which is around my normal size in most things. It may not be a "true" 11 whatever that means but it worked out well for me...sizing down would definately be a problem.

Keep in mind that you will want room for thicker socks (if you want to wool it up for the cold days) and that they will definately break in and stretch in the width

3. stephenyi

stephenyi Active Member

This is what I'm kickin through Chicago winter:
    [​IMG]

4. raginberriodoom

raginberriodoom Well-Known Member

Alright, I'm about to pull the trigger on the Katahdins. If I wear 9 in JPs, should I get 9 in Katahdins too? Thanks alot for all the help.

5. changed

changed Well-Known Member

I just treated my Katahdins with 2 coats of Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP, then 2 coats of Obenauf's Water Shield... quite the difference: [​IMG] [​IMG] My shitty camera can't replicate the color properly, but it is something in between these two pictures. It is a really nice deep red/brown. quite the difference from this: [​IMG]

6. Racove

Racove Well-Known Member

looks good. but i liked it before too.

7. raginberriodoom

raginberriodoom Well-Known Member

I ordered some Katahdins a few days ago on the LLBean website and just received them today! The leather has quite a bit of character already with a few scuffs, and I agree with a previous poster that they feel a bit like suede. The sizing was true to size, since I wear a 9 in most shoes, and I purchased these boots in 9. I can't wait to start breaking them in!

8. korce

korce Well-Known Member

Well, I took a trip to the Dayton factory/showroom/store in Vancouver yesterday, and grabbed a pair of the grey suede boots I posted a while back.

They are identical to the "matte black" boots Dayton produced for Wings + Horns last fall (and this spring too?), minus the distressing (so no upturned toe). They even have the Wings + Horns stamp on the bottom. I'm pretty excited about them... especially considering I paid significantly less than the retail on the Wings + Horns "distressed" version.

Pics to come when I get back to TO.

9. Jekyll

Jekyll Well-Known Member

Bump for F/W 09.

Probably gonna get a pair of Katahdins to double as work boots and snow boots.

Also, someone should buy my awesome GTs.

10. ethanlee29

ethanlee29 Well-Known Member

did anyone else pick up the dayton boots?

11. Crane's

Crane's Well-Known Member

Once again I will recommend this TimberlandPro boot to anyone who needs a warm waterproof boot for the Winter. I have worn these in mud, muck, and icy slop all day long for days on end for years. I owned a lot of boots in my time and the TimberlandPros are definitely ones I would buy again. BTW my list of boots that I would buy another pair of is very very short for what it's worth.

12. Razele

Razele Well-Known Member

did anyone else pick up the dayton boots?
    Yes people have. Apparently, they will make them for you. As most of thier shoes are MTO. I already have both pairs but want more, a oiled black leather would be good, and a brown nubuck. I'm going to send them an email in a few days, asking what could be done.

13. stylesmurf

stylesmurf Well-Known Member

I wish someone would make a boot with special soft sole compounds for snow and ice traction. Like snow tires for humans. Yaktraks are not the greatest option. Obviously boots that look nice are great, so you can showcase them when you've slipped and have your legs up in the air, but it would be even better if one could keep their feet planted on the ground.... ? [​IMG]

14. hboogz

hboogz Well-Known Member

Looking to cop Katahdins today or tomorrow but wanted to confirm fit here first. I recently found, to my surprise, that i'm a 10.5 in RW ranger boots. But normally, i'm a 11.5D in AE park avenue's; 11 in Converse and 11 in Timberland... Should i do 11 or 11.5 in the Katahdins ? Thanks.

15. wannabeagiant

wannabeagiant Well-Known Member

Looking to cop Katahdins today or tomorrow but wanted to confirm fit here first. I recently found, to my surprise, that i'm a 10.5 in RW ranger boots. But normally, i'm a 11.5D in AE park avenue's; 11 in Converse and 11 in Timberland... Should i do 11 or 11.5 in the Katahdins ? Thanks.

I would go with your converse size. The katahdin is on the Munson last which is supposed to fit 1/2 size larger than regular boots. You should probably just order both sizes to try them out. You're in the US so return shipping won't cost much.

16. hboogz

hboogz Well-Known Member

This is what I'm kickin through Chicago winter:
    [​IMG]

Forgive me, but what kind of boots are those ?

17. hboogz

hboogz Well-Known Member

I would go with your converse size. The katahdin is on the Munson last which is supposed to fit 1/2 size larger than regular boots. You should probably just order both sizes to try them out. You're in the US so return shipping won't cost much.

Thanks, I'm going to shoot for an 11 and see how that goes.

18. wmmk

wmmk Well-Known Member

Red Wing GT's in black cherry are looking really nice to me right now. I can get them for about $200. Can I get them any cheaper and/or and there any good alternatives, other than Katahdin's?

19. ethanlee29

ethanlee29 Well-Known Member

20. hboogz

hboogz Well-Known Member