1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Styleforum - What should a young man buy that will last him a lifetime?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Stilig, Dec 21, 2012.

1. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Well-Known Member

Meh. Personally I just never wear a watch. Nor do I understand the desire to pay thousands for something that doesn't function as well as a quartz watch. But it that's what you want, by all means. Personally if I were going to spend a few thousand I'd rather get a really nice briefcase and then have money left over for a nice pair of shoes or two.

2. SimonC

SimonC Well-Known Member

I'm not starting a fight, but my oldest SAB is at least 40 years old and still going strong with no loose threads.

3. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Well-Known Member

and just what character will this be developing?

4. mr monty

mr monty Well-Known Member

5. Stilig

Stilig Well-Known Member

6. div25sec9

div25sec9 Well-Known Member

This is an argument I hear all the time, but sometimes things are better because they aren't prefect..It's about the craftsmanship and the esthetic. Why buy a sports car when there are much more fuel efficient methods of transport? Whenever someone questions my watch and why I paid so much for it I simply let them look at it closely. A see-though case back tells the whole story.

1 person likes this.
  7. dddrees

dddrees Well-Known Member

Well said.

8. colubrid

colubrid Member

A duffel bag by kakadu traders out of Australia.

if you like denim, that is :)

[​IMG]

9. D M B

D M B Well-Known Member

How about a well made pocket knife. I don't mean some tactical folding knife with a pocket clip. I'm talking a small, classy gentleman's pen knife. Years later you can give it to a grandson.

10. OrionTX

OrionTX Member

In the early 70s I gave my father a Datejust. He wore it for the rest of his life. I had it re-worked and gave it to my son for high school graduation. Although he is deeply bonded to his iPhone, he is seldom without his Rolex. Feels a little like “You never actually own a Patek Philippe. You merely look after it for the next generation.” I guess i will have to get one.

My son also wears a pea coat. I wore it when I was younger and my father before that. It was given to him by the U S Navy in WWII.

11. Frankie22

Frankie22 Well-Known Member

A good tie clip.
    I own several of my grandfathers clips that were given to me by my father last year. Two of the clips are over 70 years old. They look great.

12. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Well-Known Member

unbelragazzo , the umbrella I was thinking of was a hand-me-down of my fathers from the 1960's.The umbrella completely disintegrated in a bad storm. I am certainly happy that others fair better with their umbrellas. Thank you for the link.

Quadcammer, ever see an old TV series called Columbo? Older trench or raincoats that are well worn can attain a charming rumpled look to them.

SimonC, I am sure your old SAB was using a different guage of thread than my old umbrella. By the way, have you checked your stitching all around? I would love to see a photo. I love vintage.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  13. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

I have a pea coat that I found in the trash when I was 15. it has been my casual winter coat for 30 years

I have a loden overcoat I bought about 25 years ago and is in great shape

I have a tux I had made 15 years ago

I have a tiffany belt buckle my wife got me 15 years ago

I have a fountain pen from 15 years ago, a gift from my mother in law

I have a pair of 70 year old silver cufflinks

I used ot have my father army shoe brush, but that got lost

nothing else I have has lasted longer

14. Cedric

Cedric Well-Known Member

Watch.
    Rolex, Panerai, used Patek Phillippe

15. acridsheep

acridsheep Well-Known Member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members
    A house. If you have enough to where you're asking the Internet what other clothing accessories you should buy, you don't need anything.

Save, invest in a home.

Unless you already have one, in which case, a nice briefcase.

1 person likes this.
  16. McPryon

McPryon Well-Known Member

And a Fleshlight. Can't forget the Fleshlight.

1 person likes this.
  17. mr monty

mr monty Well-Known Member

Will that allow you to see thru clothing or thru flesh like an xray?

18. acridsheep

acridsheep Well-Known Member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members
    I think I am getting one of those in my stocking this year. After all, I have been very good this year.

19. Godot

Godot Well-Known Member

Great watch, something that you've spent at at least a few months studying and researching. It's got to be something that you envision handing down to your son.
    A good pen. Not just a piece of jewelry, but something you like to write with, In addition a decent fountain pen (vintage?) to use for sighing letters and documents.
    A good pocket knife you can use to open letters,cut string or whatever.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    People say that you if you invest in classic clothing items you can wear them forever. This is not true. An item can only be worn so many times before showing use. You will also gain/lose weight. Styles will change. You may need to convey a different message with your clothing at 40 than at 22. I'd say look at clothing as having a 3 year life span. Now sometimes, your going to find a leather jacket or a trench coat that you can wear for 20 years, but consider that as a lucky exception rather than the rule.
    Just my 2$

20. Thanks SF (a new me)

Thanks SF (a new me) Well-Known Member

one of my biggest regret was passing on a SAB bag similar to this back in 2001; asking price was $400-450 and I have no clue :brick:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012