1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Styleforum Success Stories

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by APK, Dec 27, 2010.

1. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

Everything you know is a culmination of what's around you. Sounds obvious but it seems it isn't to some. Kunk didn't know he wanted to wear RO and Ann D etc. out of the womb, he had to learn it somewhere. Forums such as this one just make it easier to get a wide array of influences regardless of your geographical location.

^+a million

2. softy

softy Well-Known Member

Everything you know is a culmination of what's around you. Sounds obvious but it seems it isn't to some. Kunk didn't know he wanted to wear RO and Ann D etc. out of the womb, he had to learn it somewhere. Forums such as this one just make it easier to get a wide array of influences regardless of your geographical location.

great succinct post

3. thekunk07

thekunk07 Well-Known Member

no i ultimately agree with this but some of the transformations just feel a bit poseur like when they are framed this way

4. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial

well said, uncontrol. I think what Kunk is reacting to (maybe?) is that there are posters (and obviously WAYWT is the only way, limited and imperfect as it is, to judge this) who seem to be stuck in the "what should I do" phase, and don't necessarily learn or think, but just react to every criticism, whether it's valid or not. Basing your purchases off of what a bunch of strangers on the internet tell you looks good (familiarity with sizing, construction, etc. is a different boat, I think), is pretty stupid. That doesn't mean that someone posting a picture and getting responses like "doesn't fit," "silhouette is wrong," and that sort of thing, isn't valuable.

Ultimately, we're all in this to become responsible "readers" of fashion - like everything else, it's intimately tied to and infinitely removed from its context. That's why people "rag on Old Navy wearers," or whatever was said - if, after experimentation, you decide that all you want is to own a JCrew store, or six pairs of STF Levi's, more power to you, I guess. But I do think that SoCal was right, to an extent, about clothes vs. fashion - and again, that's dependent on the person - but for me, there's no (or at least, less) fantasy involved in wearing flannel and raw denim. It's not about blending in versus not blending in or anything like that, it's more about the really cerebral aspects of why you wear what you wear. I realize I'm meandering now, but it's early, so I'll stop.

tl;dr: fashion is basically dungeons and dragons.

5. thekunk07

it's true

well said, uncontrol. I think what Kunk is reacting to (maybe?) is that there are posters (and obviously WAYWT is the only way, limited and imperfect as it is, to judge this) who seem to be stuck in the "what should I do" phase, and don't necessarily learn or think, but just react to every criticism, whether it's valid or not. Basing your purchases off of what a bunch of strangers on the internet tell you looks good (familiarity with sizing, construction, etc. is a different boat, I think), is pretty stupid. That doesn't mean that someone posting a picture and getting responses like "doesn't fit," "silhouette is wrong," and that sort of thing, isn't valuable.

Ultimately, we're all in this to become responsible "readers" of fashion - like everything else, it's intimately tied to and infinitely removed from its context. That's why people "rag on Old Navy wearers," or whatever was said - if, after experimentation, you decide that all you want is to own a JCrew store, or six pairs of STF Levi's, more power to you, I guess. But I do think that SoCal was right, to an extent, about clothes vs. fashion - and again, that's dependent on the person - but for me, there's no (or at least, less) fantasy involved in wearing flannel and raw denim. It's not about blending in versus not blending in or anything like that, it's more about the really cerebral aspects of why you wear what you wear. I realize I'm meandering now, but it's early, so I'll stop.

tl;dr: fashion is basically dungeons and dragons.

6. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

Really good post Synthese. I think pretty much all fashion is "poseur". Kunk has children for fuck's sake.

7. thekunk07

^what does having kids have to do with it?

8. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

^what does having kids have to do with it?

you look like you eat children, not raise them

2 people like this.
  9. Lane

Lane Well-Known Member

hay, really nice post synthese.

also, wtf is 10char

anyways, the internet is a medium for information. So, its good to use it for any hobby/interest. However, depending on one source of information is when it becomes counterproductive. That's why I said internet and not "fashion forum."

10. Nil

Nil Well-Known Member

What item to kop to add 1d4 to my charisma?

11. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial

Kevlar suit is plus 6 to defense with a chance to roll for stealth, plus 4 to charisma.

12. phoenixrecon

phoenixrecon Well-Known Member

can i equip that if im a paladin class?

13. mordecai

mordecai Well-Known Member

LOL

14. thekunk07

need more sf meet ups, i am not nearly as scary irl

15. Lane

Lane Well-Known Member

why so frowny?

16. AR_Six

AR_Six Well-Known Member

Kunk actually breeds dogs for pet stores, and has a large number of litters delivered weekly by breeding stock. As a result of one of the greatest coincidences in cosmic history every fitpic ever taken of him is taken precisely 17.7 seconds after someone kills his puppy.

17. thenanyu

thenanyu Well-Known Member

You're a monster.

18. shibbel

shibbel Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

19. APK

APK Well-Known Member

Volume III: Less AZN, No Leather, Stop Menstruating All Over My Thread Edition

Ga-vroche

No doubt you've spent at a few minutes wondering how to pronounce his user name. "Is "˜vroche' pronounced like Jim "˜Croce,' but with a V instead of a C? Man, how great was Bad, Bad, Leroy Brown?" some of you have probably asked yourselves at least once.

Well never mind that, because you should have been focusing on more important things, such as how Ga-vroche-croce managed to make a subtle, but effective stylistic transition with fewer than 100 posts in three years. In this instance, we can attribute this transformation to ga-vroche learning how to work with textures and also apparently buying stock in APC.

March 2008:

[​IMG]

"Hmph, where oh where has my swag gone?"

October 2010:

[​IMG]

And bam, a successful transformation without completely revamping aesthetic, killing a cow or moving to Asia. Yes, Ga, you're right. A salute IS in order.

whodini

Today, a lot of whodini's posts can be paraphrased like "Lulz newbie, you have NO idea how the fashion industry works. *I* do, because I've had lunch and imported beers with some mid-tier designers and shop owners. But I'm not actually going to give you any details to show why you have no idea."

But in simpler times, Mr. Dini put together some pretty mediocre fits, presumably before those high-powered luncheons and brewski sessions.

May 2008:

[​IMG]

October 2009:

[​IMG]

whodini is still prone to some drab fits, but he's found some gold while experimenting with different silhouettes and footwear that aren't Chucks. Just don't misspeak about the inner-workings of the fashion biz around him.

Augusto86

He doesn't post around these parts anymore, which is a shame, because his "˜net activity dropped off right after he made some significant aesthetic changes. My sources are unable to confirm why this is, but my expert analytical conclusion is: He started getting mad ass from the ladies and didn't have time to post pictures of himself for other dudes on the interwebz.

November 2007:

[​IMG]

November 2008:

[​IMG]

Now, Augusto86 had a leg-up in his transformation, since his "before" wasn't an abomination. Sambas and cafÃ[​IMG] racers aren't advisable, especially as a tandem, but the ensemble is still more visually pleasing than the average person you see at a mall food court. Also, not everyone can simply trim their hair and do away with child molester facial hair to reveal a dashingly handsome face.

But the moral of this story is that the nuances such as hair and facial hair can make a world of difference. You don't need to run to your local barber/hairstylist with a fistful of Synthese pictures. However, if you're one of the people suffering from nosteezeitis, then you may want to consider if details such as your hair are playing a factor. Your smacked-ass haircut may be the only thing holding you back.

Adam24

So initially, I had this entry reserved for user West24 after seeing some of his old WAYWT entries and then thinking about how good some of his more recent ones were. But then I realized that Batman had subconsciously caused me to waste time, because I was really thinking of Adam24.

Thankfully, all was not lost, because Adam24 used to be pretty terrible, too!

November 2008:

[​IMG]

December 2009:

[​IMG]

So how did Adam24 distance himself from the child molester comparisons?

Well, he stopped molesting children for one (I kid). But he also went for a cleaner palette. And as Adam(not West)24 shows, cleaner doesn't have to equal boring. A lot of his fits utilize muted colors, but in a manner where they compliment the other.

He won't win any awards for boldness, but he's come a ways from running the risk of being arrested on sight any time he's near a playground.

20. bows1

bows1 Well-Known Member

Im down for this as well, this nyc meet up in late jan could have quite a few people attending.