1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Styleforum Gives 2015 - Our annual holiday charity auctions for the Ronald McDonald House.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LA Guy, Nov 19, 2015.

1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Well, looks like @Michigan Planner takes this that with a bid of $1600. Winnar! Really generous and that brings ou total to $1825 + $1600 = $3425. I'm proud of us. but let's get some more people involved. Get your friends stoked. Another longer auction to take us into Sunday next.

2. LA Guy

Auction 5: A Suitable Wardrobe Russian Reindeer Passport Holder or Pocket wallet
    Ends Sunday, Dec 6, 2015.5 p.m. PST​

Let's start the bidding... now. The following auction will be a 48 hour auction and will end Sunday at 5 pm PST.

As some of you may know, A Suitable Wardrobe was recently acquired by @kirbya , of The Hanger Project, probably the original business born on the forum. Kirby tells me that he is committed to the same extremely high quality accessories for which A Suitable Wardrobe has always been known. It's probably one of the few places I knew of that stocked an Astrakan. Not sure what I'd do with it, but it was cool.

This auction is for one Russian Reindeer Passport Holder OR Pocket Wallet, winner's choice (https://www.asuitablewardrobe.com/russian-reindeer-passport-cover.html or https://www.asuitablewardrobe.com/russian-reindeer-pocket-wallet.html)

What is "Russian reindeer"? So glad you asked.

From A Suitable Wardrobe:

Due to its rarity and uniqueness, G. J. Cleverly 1786 Russian Reindeer leather is normally only available through our bespoke service... except what you see here on A Suitable Wardrobe. On December 10th 1786 a storm forced the Metta Catharina to seek shelter in Plymouth Sound. She had been bound for the Mediterranean with a cargo of hemp and leather from the Russian Port of St. Petersburg. The Catherina broke free and was blown towards Mount Edgecumbe before sinking. The crew were able to get ashore but the ship and its cargo were lost - until almost 200 years later divers found a ship’s bell on the sea floor. Further investigation revealed bundles of hides littering the sea bed. They were remarkably well preserved after two centuries of immersion in black mud.

Since those hides were retrieved, many hundreds have been brought to the surface. They have been tanned the traditional Russian way, which involves soaking in pits of willow bark and currying with birch oil. The process gives them a very distinct aroma. Most of the hides have been cross hatched in the grain embossed by hand. The famous ‘Russia’ leather is renowned for it’s ability to resist water and repel insects.

What we have here, then, are items of extreme rarity and historical value. Ain't no small timer carryng their passport through security in leather from the Metta Catharine.

Retail: $720

Let's start the bidding at $350. The minimum increment on a bid will be $20. Please announce bids on this thread. If you wish to be anonymous, you may PM me, and I will proxy the bid for you.

Important note: The bidding will not end if there has been a bid in the last 10 minutes, regardless of time. So, for example, if there is a bid at 2:59 Monday morning, the bidding will go on until 3:09, and if there is a bid before or at that time, the bidding will continue. Essentially, sniping is not going to be effective. It's for charity, y'all.

Here are some pictures to make you all weep and bid generously and often:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Wallet Passport holder.

3. wklq76a

wklq76a Well-Known Member

Nice wallet. $500

4. LA Guy

Okay, I'll start off the bidding at $350.

My only question would be whether it would more baller to impress some TSA drone or to be able to whip out this ridiculously unnecessary and yet cool wallet and pull out three $1 bills to pay for my morning Americano. Suggestions welcome.

5. LA Guy

Well, looks like I got outbid before I stopped trying to be funny.

Lesson learned.

6. wklq76a

wklq76a Well-Known Member

Ha! I'm really curious how the leather smells [​IMG]

7. LA Guy

So many jokes. So easy. Must... resist.

1 person likes this.
  8. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

$550 though I assume @MoosicPa will be beating that

9. PASstudy

PASstudy Well-Known Member

10. zissou

zissou Well-Known Member

$600

1 person likes this.
  11. coldinboston

coldinboston Well-Known Member

I have the credit card wallet they also have and think it smells like beef jerky, or i suppose like reindeer jerky in this case. Who wouldnt like that smell for a passport holder?

1 person likes this.
  12. 997CTSurg

997CTSurg Well-Known Member

When is the Reeves auction going to be?
    I'm late to this party.

1 person likes this.
  13. LA Guy

Probably next weekend!

14. Handcuffed

Handcuffed Well-Known Member

$670

1 person likes this.
  15. LA Guy

So awesome. Let's keep this thing rolling.

16. zissou

zissou Well-Known Member

17. LA Guy

nice nice. Let's see if we can't do just qa bit better.

18. zissou

zissou Well-Known Member

19. LA Guy

Excellent, excellent! Does anyone want to go more baller than this? I know that you do!

Cheers,

Fok.

20. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

Cannot believe @MoosicPa is silent. This is majorly in his wheelhouse