1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Style icon

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Brian SD, Sep 12, 2004.

1. arvi

arvi Well-Known Member

i agree cuff'..ralph started with a great sense of classic style and continues to this day..like me his roots are the middleclass bronx of the 1950s and 1960s..i guess we watched the same movies growing up because few people dressed this way on those streets [​IMG]

2. gorgekko

gorgekko Well-Known Member

Good selection. I love his tie in that first picture. I used to pine for those ties when I was in university ten years ago or so (I think Dior had a line that looked like that) but was unable to afford them.

3. ROT

ROT Well-Known Member

I cast my votes for the full pantheon of style greats: The Duke of Windsor, Michael Douglas by Flusser in "Wall Street" (I have a closet full of Thurston's braces thanks to that movie), Fred Astaire, William Powell, B. Wooster (as played by Hugh Laurie), and Mr. Cary Grant.

It's a sad day in a young man's life when he awakens to discover he will never be Cary Grant. But that doesn't mean we should stop trying.

"Everybody wants to be Cary Grant. I want to be Cary Grant" -- Cary Grant.

4. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

5. ROT

ROT Well-Known Member

One could only fault his gentleman's personal gentleman. Notoriously hidebound about legwear, but not a peep about the 6 to 2 to 1 issue. Hmmm. Who can you trust?

6. Baz

Baz Member

Anybody here remember George Peppard as Banacek (c. 1972-74)? [​IMG] Only GP could pull off the look of that era with such panache. [​IMG]

7. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Don't remember him in Banacek, but he was great in The Blue Max (and Ursula Andress was also very fun to watch.)

1 person likes this.
  8. Baz

Baz Member

Great show. Loosely based on, or influenced by, The Thomas Crown Affair. Banacek is a wealthy insurance investigator who receives 10 percent of the insured value of the item he recovers (which he always does.) He has a taste for the finer things in life, and an affinity for Polish proverbs. He lives in the ritzy Beacon Hill area in Boston. And when he's not being chaffeured in his '73 Fleetwood he's tooling around in his '41 Packard Darrin.

From a fansite:

Why the hell is Banacek so damn cool?

Let me count the ways. First of all he's wealthy and works for himself. Next, he's a snappy dresser with his turtlenecks and contrasting checked sportcoats. He's unflappable and extremely self confident. Also, he smokes really long cigars. He always gets the women. Lastly, he is always right.

9. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Well-Known Member

i don't know if anyone's mentioned charlie watts yet: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Well-Known Member

11. ernest

ernest Well-Known Member

12. Kaga

Kaga Well-Known Member

Yes, who wouldn't want to be an unemployed Frenchman living at home with a penchant for stuffed animals and tiger-print wallpaper?

Sorry ernie, just taking <<le pipi>> as we might say across the Channel. Ask your English teacher.

13. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Well-Known Member

I agree with George Peppard but preferably in "Breakfast at Tiffany's" (1961) [​IMG] where he played a kept man whose "interior decorator" lady friend had provided him with the most amazing wardrobe. All these early 60s narrow lapels, narrow ties and slightly short, boxy coats.

14. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

15. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

16. Kaga

Kaga Well-Known Member

(Kaga @ 07 Oct. 2004, 3:34)
    ME
    Yes, who wouldn't want to be an unemployed Frenchman living at home with a penchant for stuffed animals and tiger-print wallpaper? Sorry ernie, just taking <<le pipi>> as we might say across the Channel. Ask your English teacher.
    Don't you dare hijack my thread. Not after five successful pages. I don't want this locked.
    Shimatta. I am sorry. On-topic notes: re Sunset Blvd -- the immortal line when Norma Desmond takes Bill Holden's character shopping -- "If the lady is paying, sir, may I suggest the vicuna?" I'd also volunteer Bryan Ferry as a style icon. He's still got it. Then there's JFK, who took the American sack-suit style and made it something both dodgier and more sumptuous with Hermes alligator briefcases and shoes from Lobb and Berluti...

17. Baz

Baz Member

Definitely. Check him out in the ad for The Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group on page 43 of the new Departures.

18. Kaga

Kaga Well-Known Member

Or the inner cover of the Economist, for the wonky working stiffs among us. &lt;ahem&gt;

Also the late John Morgan, resident fop at British GQ. A beacon of bespoke.

Ronald Reagan, hero to brown-suit-wearers everywhere.

Takeshi Kaga (ahem), for proving that a yellow pepper is the perfect accessory to an ensemble Elton John wouldn't dare wear.

19. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Well-Known Member

Kaga is one crazy dude. What do you suppose they are talking about: [​IMG]

20. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member