1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

style/confidence advice

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by suitantie, Oct 14, 2012.

1. add911_11

add911_11 Well-Known Member

I will find strippers more user friendly.

2. ajmanouk

ajmanouk Well-Known Member

Hey man just my own bit of advice...

Dress with whatever you are comfortable with. It is really great that you want to improve your look, and it can be expected that you're a bit nervous about family and friend reactions. Don't let that get in the way of who you want to be.

I might also suggest easing into things. For a start, replace your baggy jeans with some classic fits. 2-3 pairs of dark blue Levi's 501s and maybe a black pair would do you great for years. Ease up on t-shirts and go to polos and casual shirts. Don't forget about footwear, which is a huge component a lot of guys overlook. Clark's desert boots are some great casual shoes, as well as suede bucks (for summer), and boat shoes (sperrys maybe) for spring/summer/early fall, and maybe some leather loafers if you are really feeling it. If you don't see yourself wearing a sport coat casually, don't push it!

Also, don't be afraid to try things and make mistakes. I've spent quite a bit of money over the last 2 years learning from mistakes, but I am grateful for it. You will eventually develop a taste for what you like, even if it costs you a bit of money here and there (and also having a few clothes that dont fit :p)

3. mcbrown

mcbrown Well-Known Member

In a professional capacity, yes. In dating, not so much.

4. add911_11

I have no experience with dating strippers, I guess they are normal in real life?
    Feel free to explain your own experience.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  5. add911_11

That is extremely useful for starters, well done Mr.A

6. mcbrown

mcbrown Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

7. suitantie

suitantie Member

Thanks for this great advice. I'm already replacing t-shirts with casual shirts. I've got a couple like this only in grey/blue:
    [​IMG]

Is there any particular styles of shirt that would be good to go for? I've not got any polos so thats a complete blank page for me. Do you know of anywhere online that has good advice re shirts and shoes, I have no dressy shoes apart from a cheap pair of leather slip ons I bought for a wedding a while back.

8. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

....but riddle me this doctor...which one was I bitter about? The young preppy girl of my youth or the 40-something yr old preppy has-been?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  9. Gauss17

Gauss17 Well-Known Member

I like a white OCBD shirt with tweed, but then again, I think I nearly always disproportionately favor white shirts. Never-the-less, the above advice is solid as well.

White is a formal color, true, but without a tie is gives it a more casual feel. Nearly everything can be dressed up or down.

Perhaps I should have been clearer here. The above is true (in my opinion) that most women know little about men's style and more so care that you simply have one that is not described as "I do not care". That said, women do have an excellent eye for fit (again my opinion), and this is more what I was getting at.

In defense of strippers (queue internet white knight meme), they can be, in fact, normal people. I have been to one strip club in my time for a friend's birthday in college. Long story short, at the end of the night when we asked one of the strippers to rank the "sketchyness" of the men who normally come into the club (1-10), her answer was "10".

For shirt styles, there is a line of thought that it should be cued off your facial type:

http://www.fitcustomshirts.com/how-to-select-shirt-collar-based-on-face-shape.html

Polos: Can't do much better than KW: http://www.kentwang.com/polos

Shoes: Most everyone on this forum will recommend you start here: http://www.allenedmonds.com/

Good shoes/colors to start with are:

1. Park Avenue - Black Calfskin
    2. Something in merlot/burgundy (My pick here would be the McAllister)
    3. Something in dark brown

Admittedly, I favor lace-up shoes, but here is where you should pick the ones you like.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  10. Lord Mulberry

Lord Mulberry Well-Known Member

Not to worry, help is at hand. Whatever you want to do, the choice is up to you. The biggest piece of advice I could give you is not to rush out and buy everything all at once. Putting clothes together takes time and experience, it's not something you rush. Keep checking back on these forums, other Internet pages, magazines, TV, people in the street and see what they're wearing. Look at the cut of their clothes, look at their colour matching, look at the textures of material they use/combine. You'll get the hang of it, but it just takes time.