1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Stuff your dad or trusted older male taught you

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Markus Aurelius, Feb 5, 2010.

1. rjakapeanut

rjakapeanut Well-Known Member

best thing my dad ever taught me is this:

"no matter how right you are, people don't like to be told they're wrong. sometimes its better to let a fool do his own thing."

helped me out alot

2. steviecakes

steviecakes Well-Known Member

subtle details (or even lack thereof) speak worlds more than bold statements
    time is greater than or equal to money
    never pay retail
    never ride bareback (though this is the reason my sister and myself were born)
    being smart can have little to do with being successful
    never drive with anger
    when in a different state obey all traffic laws
    double check that all screws are flush
    various household repairs/car maintenance
    how to drive manual
    thin multiple coats of paint > few thick coats of paint. always.

3. rjmaiorano

rjmaiorano Well-Known Member

My dad taught me many things - both verbally and through his actions.

- Do not let anyone have control over how you feel. A corollary of this that he frequently told me was that the person who loses their temper has allowed the other person to take control of the situation at hand, so never lose control of the situation which you're in.

- Everyone you meet, at all class levels, are human - just like me. To him, they all should be treated with equal dignity.

- Never assume "no" is the final answer and that the person telling you so has the authority or competency to make that decision.

Your dad new some shit. While the lesson of never letting someone else control or effect how I feel didn't come from my dad (I think I stumbled upon it myself through lots of trial and error) ... It is one of the greatest life lessons I'll ever know.

of greatest note from my father is to take care of oneself first. Because if you can't take care of yourself, you will never be able to take care of others.

4. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

Your dad new some shit. While the lesson of never letting someone else control or effect how I feel didn't come from my dad (I think I stumbled upon it myself through lots of trial and error) ... It is one of the greatest life lessons I'll ever know.

of greatest note from my father is to take care of oneself first. Because if you can't take care of yourself, you will never be able to take care of others.

Thank you. My dad was a school administrator (superintendent) and was always dealing with issues between parents and teachers, teachers and teachers, students and students - they all were very emotional situations where people invariably lost their composure. My dad told me that it was essential for him to be the calm one by listening to what people had to say and then never losing focus of what the laws and rules of the school were. I believe he learned pretty quickly through trial and error as well.

5. Korben

Korben Well-Known Member

He Taught me:

How to hold a rifle
    How to aim a Shotgun
    How to tie a tie
    Always wear a pocket square (although he rarely wore suits)
    How to properly Shine shoes
    How to effectively curse

Philosophy:
    Treat everyone with respect even if you know they are full of shit.
    Never let anyone make you doubt yourself and your abilities.
    Sometimes you have to give people a nice kick in the ass to get them to do things right.

6. JimyThng420

JimyThng420 New Member

"Never judge a book by the cover"

7. Smartalox

Smartalox Well-Known Member

My Dad hasn't always been the best role model, but he has taught me a few things:
    - That in boxing, power comes from the legs
    - What a proper handshake feels like
    - The importance of good shoes, and how to take care of them
    - Buy the best quality that you can afford
    - That there is no substitute for having the right tool for the job.
    - 'Don't bring me your problems... bring me your solutions'
    - That if you're selling a product, you're always asking the buyer to do you a favor. If you sell a service, you're always doing them a favor.
    - He taught me to memorize 'If' by Rudyard Kipling, and to appreciate the power of language

I also learned to NOT do much of what he's done:
    - Don't ignore depression. If you're not happy, get help; psychology helped me immensely, even if only to get an objective opinion about what I felt. My father never sought help for his depression, and in many ways felt he was a failure all his life.
    - Forgiveness is something you do for your benefit, not for the benefit of others

8. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Well-Known Member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    Forgiveness is something you do for your benefit, not for the benefit of others

This is really good.
    (So was the rest of your list, but this is particularly.)

9. Ibrock

Ibrock Well-Known Member

If she doesn't have a ring on her finger, she's always looking for something better

10. SField

SField Well-Known Member

If she doesn't have a ring on her finger, she's always looking for something better

And your dad thought that it stops with a ring?

11. Flambeur

Flambeur Well-Known Member

12. cerfvolant

cerfvolant Well-Known Member

- He taught me to memorize 'If' by Rudyard Kipling, and to appreciate the power of language

Great poem. If has been a guiding factor in my life for the past year or so. It's absolutely brilliant, both in and out of context.

13. InsBrokerTX

InsBrokerTX Well-Known Member

If the person with whom you are speaking says "trust me" grab your wallet and run.

If a politicians lips are moving, he is lying.

If someone shows up at your work place and says they are from corporate and they are here to help you, you are in big trouble and something bad is about to happen.

Whining is for losers.

plus much more.

RIP Dad.

14. crazyquik

crazyquik Well-Known Member

Sometime in college he told me something to the effect of " 'D' stands for diploma, except in your major, then you need a 'C'". Looking back, it reminds me of Brideshead Revisited where older cousin Jasper tells freshman Charles that the only grades worth getting are a first, or a forth; that a good second is time wasted. Either apply maximum effort and get a top grade, or just do enough to get by.

15. designprofessor

designprofessor Well-Known Member

1. don't spill the spaghetti sauce on the kitchen carpet!

2. and while you're at it -don't ever put carpet in the damn kitchen!!

16. pseudonym

pseudonym Well-Known Member

I remember a member posted something along these lines:

"Tell a smart woman she is beautiful. Tell a beautiful woman she is smart."

17. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Stuff my dad taught me. Well ... one thing was not to talk about my clothing. Obviously I didn't listen ... but maybe I should make amends.

18. Strombollii

Strombollii Well-Known Member

"Don't fall in love"