1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Striped Tie with Striped Shirt?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by aleksandr, Mar 18, 2008.

1. mt_spiffy

mt_spiffy Well-Known Member

Those links are very interesting, I've never seen anything like that before. I didnt know there was a science. I put stuff together and look at it. If I like it, it works [​IMG]

Conflicting patterns is very popular right now. That includes striped shirt with a differently-striped tie, striped shirt with an alternative pattern tie, etc etc. Plenty of people stretch the boundaries, i.e. "match by not matching". I do it from time to time and it drives my female fashion consultant (girlfriend) mad, but I get plenty of compliments.

About 5 years ago I bought some shirt and tie sets, very bold stripes, very bold colors, with the shirt and ties each made of the exact same material. I havent worn them in recent years.

2. S. Ferguson Morse

S. Ferguson Morse New Member

Do you think that by having a striped tie in an unconventional tie fabric such as cashmere, one could great a nicely textured/eccentric look? i found some striped cashmere ties from a UK website : http://www.black.co.uk/Browse/ViewProductRange.cfm?I=15

Ask Andy About Clothes is an absolute, old-school font of knowledge.

3. mt_spiffy

The link isnt working.

4. petitnoblesse

petitnoblesse Well-Known Member

Awesome shirt, I like the pale colors with contrasting collar.

[​IMG]

From a few days ago.

5. sammywaslow

sammywaslow Member

Not a great photo but this navy suit had very fine red and green stripes and would always elicit favourable comments when teamed with the bold, striped Hilditch & Key shirt shown. The exception was from a girl in a bar who came up to me and said, "You know, you should never wear stripes with polka dots."
    If I was Oscar Wilde I would have immediately shot back something like, "Well, that statement says as much about you as it does me." If I was George Costanza I would have waited outside and blurted it out in her general direction as she was being carried out by her friends.
    [​IMG]

6. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

From a few days ago.

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about... I like striped suit, tie and shirt as well.[​IMG]

7. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Well-Known Member

Not a great photo but this navy suit had very fine red and green stripes and would always elicit favourable comments when teamed with the bold, striped Hilditch & Key shirt shown. The exception was from a girl in a bar who came up to me and said, "You know, you should never wear stripes with polka dots."
    If I was Oscar Wilde I would have immediately shot back something like, "Well, that statement says as much about you as it does me." If I was George Costanza I would have waited outside and blurted it out in her general direction as she was being carried out by her friends.

Sounds like she wanted to talk to you. Good thing you're neither of those chaps and hopefully you got along with her.

A woman at my office said she didnt like spots and stripes. Interesting because I dont know why that would be or where it comes from; must be a female fashion rule. I told her to get used to it because the only relief would be stripes on stripes.[​IMG]

8. mt_spiffy

Now I LIKE that combination!

Was the girl cute?

9. Douglas

Douglas Well-Known Member

The exception was from a girl in a bar who came up to me and said, "You know, you should never wear stripes with polka dots."

She should have said "You know, unless you're Tim Robbins in a horrible 90s movie, you should never wear a 6x1 double-breasted suit."

whodini shows how pattern matching is done here...

[​IMG]

I'm sorry, but this looks as though "Whodini" is a new "Italian" menswear fashion line with distribution at the Burlington Coat Factory. The shirt and tie look like they were sold together with a pair of matching fabric cufflinks in a plastic bag.

10. mt_spiffy

She should have said "You know, unless you're Tim Robbins in a horrible 90s movie, you should never wear a 6x1 double-breasted suit."

Or if you're David Letterma--- wait, nevermind.

11. sonlegoman

sonlegoman Well-Known Member

He's thinking: I wish my tie looked different so I could go outside.
    Hahaha. I was always told that the only three things that should match absolutely identically are your socks, cuff links, and the fabric of your suit, pants, and vest (if present).

12. sammywaslow

sammywaslow Member

Or maybe "... unless you're a style icon".
    [​IMG]

13. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

...At work I asked a couple of co-workers if the combination worked and sadly, they all said 'No, not really.'

Having learned from my sartorial mistake...

The mistake was in asking their opinion.

14. davecoat

davecoat New Member

What do we think of this????

[​IMG]

15. mt_spiffy

16. davecoat

davecoat New Member

I thank you for your response, oh, wait, just read the disclaimer. ;-)

17. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

Heavens, I was just yesterday pairing a boldly striped red and blue tie with a blue and white Bengal-striped shirt. I thought I looked pretty good, anyway, and the female security guard at the local market complimented me on my attire, not that I rate the approval of female security guards as being worth much, "hateful snob" that I am. I conjoin striped ties with striped shirts with great frequency.

18. embowafa

embowafa Well-Known Member

What do we think of this????

[​IMG]

In terms of raw pattern matching, I guess it works.

However, the two items themselves, [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. unjung

unjung Well-Known Member

In terms of raw pattern matching, I guess it works.

However, the two items themselves, [​IMG] [​IMG]

+1. Yuck.