1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Streetwear Brogues

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by NorthCoast, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Inks

Inks Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I picked them up on ebay a couple of years back from a fella who had bought them and never worn 'em (That's the sellers original pic) I think I paid £20 plus £5 postage.
    Leather soles, leather lined. I just gave them a parade-shine and they were good as gold.
    Two years of wear and they're holding up nicely. They took bloody ages to break-in though.

2 people like this.
  2. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Well-Known Member

In response to a request by Clouseau, here's a pair of brogues I bought a few years ago from Jones the Bootmaker, Buchanan St, Glasgow. I bought them because they are the same colour as my A1 jacket.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Clouseau

Clouseau Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Florsheim Lexington. They are a good option and not expensive (A tad cheaper than the Loake Royals, and not as chunky) . I saw them 'in the flesh' and they look really good. Exist in black too.

4. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Well-Known Member

Cheaney do some very nice brogues and this pair called the 'James Finch' made for my local shoe shop (now gone) are typical of their more rustic offerings. They have a Dainite sole, are supremely comfortable and work well with flannel trou, jeans and cords. But they fail the @covskin test!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  5. Mr Knightley

These Oxford shortwing brogues date from c. 1987 and are made by once-great John White of Northamptonshire. Not as versatile as the Cheaney above, being an Oxford, but close. Better with flannel and POW than jeans:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Mr Knightley

Closest to the Look and still available from John Simons in London are these burgundy Florsheim Imperial longwings:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. Clouseau

Great stuff. I think Imperial is the (old) name of the range, while this model is/was called Kenmoor.

http://sabotagetimes.com/style/the-florsheim-imperial-wing-tip-kenmoor-brogue

Speaking of your John White brogues, the colour is lovely. They really look like the Church's Burwood, and are of the same quality. (And BTW are more or less the same age than mine !)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  8. covskin

covskin Well-Known Member

My first and only pair of brogues were John White, longwing derby in black. Wore them until unrepairable around 1987, should have got another pair but by early/mid-20s you feel like leaving the things of your youth behind.

9. Man-of-Mystery

I know this is heresy, but I always did prefer shortwing over longwing.

10. Clouseau

I always liked both. About Longwings, the first pair i had were Dexter (a US brand now extinct) that were, like Loakes Royals, real gunboats, massive chunky shoes. i must confess than now i prefer narrower brogues, like my Church's. That's why i am interested by the Florsheim Lexington longwings, they are thinner so smarter i think.

11. Man-of-Mystery

Historical note:

When brogues became de rigeur in N W England, second half of 1967 and early 1968, no longwings appeared, perhaps due to the simple fact of what was available to us from the local retail outlets. The toe outline could be quite round, even blunt; but I would have been more than satisfied if I could have got my hands on a pair like my current browns from Jones the Bootmaker.

One thing I can say is that I didn't see any footwear in burgundy / ox-blood until later, several months after moving to London.

12. Mr Knightley

Mais oui Monsieur, c'est vrai!

Mine date from around 2007.

John White shoes today are a very poor reflection on the brand. Mine, the 'Midhurst' have been worn off and on for over 25 years and with only one refurb they are still in great shape.

13. Jimmy Balantyne

Jimmy Balantyne Well-Known Member

Got my first pair of what we then termed 'American Brogues' in 1970, from a shp called Greens on Chapel St 'Up the Angel'. I was eleven years of age and my love for the longwing has never waivered. Alan Edmonds 'Macneil' is probably my favourite for shape, though I've got the Alden in Shell and it's a more substancial shoe. I've no doubt C&J along with numerous others, produce a beautiful Longwing but the two mentioned are the only ones I own.

1 person likes this.
  14. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Well-Known Member

My love for Brogues ( Longwing and 'English' ) began in 1970 too,although my first pair were black from Lennards and had no punching on the toe.

I have several pairs of Brogues (shoes and boots,longwing,English and Half brogues )now,I do like the look of the Allen Edmonds Macneil but no chance to buy them here.

My favourites are the Barker Grassington with dainite sole in Cherry grain and the Alfred Sargent Stepney longwing in dark tan with dainite sole and a pair of Tan brogue boots made by Loake for Herring shoes.

I do like the look of (but not the price) of the Crockett and Jones brogue boots that Cleav put up a picture of in 'the Look goes on' superb, on a lower level quality wise I like the Charles Tyrwitt Boyton in tan with dainite sole,I think it might be a re-badged Loake Sovereign.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017