1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Streamlined Shoe Wardrobe

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Mar 5, 2013.

1. chogall

chogall Well-Known Member

Black + Khaki.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Ivar

Ivar Well-Known Member

I don't agree with everything recondite writes, but I like that he brings an informed and well-reasoned point of view, and I think the forum -- any forum -- benefits greatly from having guys like him come in and rock the boat, snapping people out of their mental torpor. In this case, he's right on the money in questioning the antipathy so many internet dwellers seem to nurse toward black shoes. It's silly, and many of them dress much the worse for it.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
    2 people like this.
  3. YRR92

YRR92 Well-Known Member

Recondite, you're like the opposite of SF groupthink. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing.

Tan trousers with black shoes = WW2 uniform, for me. I don't have to worry very much about black sweaters because I don't like how I look in black. That said, I've taken to wearing black shoes whenever I don't have a reason not to (very rarely, admittedly).

Even with a gray-ish tweed jacket, I prefer burg shoes. I haven't got plain brown shoes I'd wear with tweed, at the moment, but it probably wouldn't drive me crazy to do so.

4. mymil

mymil Well-Known Member

The shoe I want to wear more than any other is this one:

[​IMG]

Always with odd jacket/trousers. They're darker than in the photo.

4 people like this.
  5. recondite

recondite Well-Known Member

LOL!

You reading comprehension is poor. None of the shoes I purchased to attract paramours is black. Espresso suede, navy suede, midnight calf, but not black.

Just because one is an author, published or not, do not make one an authority.

My experience is unique, which is why I detailed it. It was my experience. You cannot deny my experience although you may choose to revile it.

Anyone, such as the author in question, that would recommend the purchase of a non-standard shoe such as a tan monk strap shoe of any configuration is by definition a dilettante.

If I recommended universal application of a black calf tassel loafers, you would be right to label me a dilettante.

This is true for all self proclaimed experts that would recommend any such non-standard affectations such as; claiming that every fly fisherman needs a hexagina imitation in his flybox, that best solution for wingshooting is a 28 gauge loaded with 3/4 an ounce of number seven tungsten shot, that one could never do better than to take all African game with a 6.5x54 Mannlicher-Schönauer, that the best motorcycle ever created is a 1967 Triumph Bonneville, or other such non-sense.

Anyone making non-standard recommendations is by definition; a dilettante.

I didn't recommend black tassel loafers to everyone. I explained why they worked for me.

1. Elegant
    2. Useful/functional

I also explained the other choices I later made, unlike our resident dilettante that would recommend tan monks and brown captoes as universal solutions to the problem of footwear, despite the fact that they are nearly universally UNACCEPTABLE in polite company or observed in the wild. And when they are observed in the wild, it is when they are displayed by one dilettante seeking the approval of other dilettantes, as opposed to the approval of the balance of their audience who willingly remain ignorant as to the real and imagined virtues of brown captoes and tan monkstraps.

In fact, someone that would even consider wearing monkstraps is nearly always; "THAT GUY". You know, THAT GUY, that would tell all who might listen about why blue shirts are the bomb, why patch pockets are superior to besom pockets on odd jackets despite their lack of elegance, or why black shoes should never be worn with navy; LOL. He is the guy standing alone by the crudités trying to find a drop of ranch dressing in which to dip his carrot stick, at the end of a long evening entertaining himself while surrounded by a houseful of most interesting people.

No doubt took the time to flog his book once or twice before his audience evaporated to seek out more fulfilling activities.

FYI; my fondness for black shoes is limited to the understanding of which shoes look best with the balance of my wardrobe. That is my aesthetic and not the one you propose.

Cheers!

6. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

7. recondite

recondite Well-Known Member

Looks fine to me and I am wondering how brown would look better here.

But then it would help to see the shoes in context with the balance of the outfit and the conformation of the wearer, no?

For example, if someone has short legs, they might be better to match their shoes to pants especially if their top is much darker such as a navy shirt. Then tan shoes would be an acceptable look and make their legs appear longer than they might otherwise with the above very high contrast looks. If their top was light in color and near the tone of the khaki pants such that their outfit was near monochromatic such as when wearing a tan or pink university stripe OCBD, then black shoes would look fine and not foreshorten their legs as much and they could probably even wear a black belt successfully.

8. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

so we have a guy recommending gray odd jackets with khaki jackets and black shoes?

Knock yourselves out boys, but please try to stay out of my field of vision.

9. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

What Vass last is that? Looks comfy. Could work with a suit too

10. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

I think he's gone off the reservation here. I do agree that the forum disdain towards black shoes is a bit silly (heck, I'm a fan of black shoes in many cases). The guy gets into trouble and seems way over his head when he goes and says things like brown shoes are some of the ugliest shoes around, wearing monkstraps will make you "that guy," that [in his imaginary world] certain shoes are rejected by polite society and never worn (walking around NYC or Chicago would quickly confirm that is not the case), and wearing white bucks makes one a dilettante. He's certainly entitled to his opinion, but I don't see any logic or reasoning behind it.

Most of his posts in this thread (I cannot speak for other threads) are long, badly structured and tend to ramble. I attempted to respond to one but then ended up feeling like it would be :brick:. It's tough to have a meaningful dialogue with that.

1 person likes this.
  11. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

^ There's nothing disdainful about black shoes per se. There's just a time and place for them.

12. Beach Bum

Beach Bum Well-Known Member

Great thread. Recondite brings a nice touch to the thread. My shoe-drobe is smaller than many on here and will say I'm so far from getting some of these ridiculously fluffed shoes that SF preaches. Monks included. Can't help but chuckle.

That said I'm more in the middle with black shoes. While I like them a lot, and have been perplexed as to the hatred they incur here, I acknowledge that brown shoes suit many wardrobes better.

I am also convinced that since browns offer way more colors, hence options, as their black counterparts, most of the black shoe haters here have probably over spent and overbought browns to the point they have way too many shoes that they need to rag on black shoes. Not sure if that made sense!

13. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

Extremely strong preference for brown shoes over black outside of formalwear, funerals and maybe job interviews might be a better way to phrase it. The word "disdain" without qualification may have been a bit much.

14. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

I remain perplexed at the black shoe hatred here.

1 person likes this.
  15. tobiasj

tobiasj Well-Known Member

Absolutely dreadful.

1 person likes this.
  16. Sonny58

Sonny58 Well-Known Member

I find recondite's viewpoints as well thought out as any. I'm curious though about wearing a gray odd jacket with a khaki jacket, sounds tricky. Is this demonstrated somewhere?

17. Ivar

Ivar Well-Known Member

I agree. He went a bit off the rails there for a while. :)

Just to make myself clear: I'm not that huge a fan of black shoes, but I do think they're preferable to brown shoes in:

1. Formal and semi-formal ensembles (duh)
    2. Monochromatic ensembles in tints and shades of grey (think Cary Grant in North by Northwest)
    3. Ensembles featuring black neckwear.
    4. Many SW&D ensembles

In pretty much all other instances, however, I would go brown.

1 person likes this.
  18. rikod

rikod Well-Known Member

-

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  19. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Well-Known Member

One rebuttle: shell cordo looks more plasticy in any colour than calf does. That said, I thank Manton for compiling a concise guidline.

20. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

Of necessity, I have a pair of burgundy calf shoes. I polish them with black meltoninian shoe cream, occasionally black wax and less occasionally cordovan (burgundy) wax. I think this has given them a nice depth of color, but I admit that without this effort, they would look like crap.