1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Storing you shoes: Bags or no bags?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by hopkins_student, Dec 1, 2006.

1. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Well-Known Member

Do you put shoe trees even in unworn pairs?

No. I found that newsprint paper (not the newspaper, just stock brown paper), does wonders for maintaining a creaseless leather plane.

2. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

trees + bags. My more expensive shoes, such as John Lobbs and Edward Greens, I store in their original boxes. Everything else I have on racks.

My hope is that someday I can build some sort of racks that will protect them all from dust plus let me keep them out of their bags and boxes so that I can look at them whenever I want.

3. lee_44106

lee_44106 Well-Known Member

Unworn (yes, I know) and seasonal shoes are stored in bags with trees until the appropriate season. My regular rotation is shoved into every nook, cranny, and storage area of my studio apartment (armoir-6 pairs, underneath the futon-7 pairs, hanging shoe organizer- 5 pairs).

LOL, looks like you sure got your priorities straight!
    More shoes, more shoes, I'd give up square footage for shoes.

4. grimslade

grimslade Well-Known Member

I'd like to see what norcaltransplant's apartment would look like filled with aportnoy's shoes...

5. jmonroestyle

jmonroestyle Well-Known Member

I keep all my lace-up ankle boots and western boots out on shelves all around my bedroom.

At one point someone poked their head in, saw all my boots and remarked, "It looks like you are living in your closet."

I can't think of anything more interesting to decorate one's walls with than one's footwear collection. Can you?

6. luk-cha

luk-cha Well-Known Member

Of course [​IMG]

though mostly only the cheap plastic ones, I'm working my way towards replacing them with wooden ones but it's difficult to get to that particular shop that sells them cheap.

dude you must have some serious amount of shoes![​IMG]

so i have heard! hehe[​IMG] i need to get some more too also customized to, but norm i just put the on the rack with shoe tree's in

7. hossoso

hossoso Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

@ Tomasso: Uh-oh, did I say something stupid or pretentious? Let me know quickly so I can delete it and no one else can quote it. I'll do my best to curtail the eye-roll worthy comments from here on though my best is typically quite poor as I normally check this forum after the bar and before bed.

8. Pink22m

Pink22m Well-Known Member

From what I understand, aportnoy would need a mansion to fit all of his shoes.[​IMG]

9. pkincy

pkincy Well-Known Member

I keep my on shelves. The bags in a pile next to my 3 piles of garment bags from various retailers.

Perry

10. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Well-Known Member

I use the bags to line Container Store shoeboxes.

11. Tomasso

Tomasso Well-Known Member

@ Tomasso: Uh-oh, did I say something stupid or pretentious?
    I've grown weary of the Black Shoe Bias that has permeated these MB's. Its mantra is nauseating.

12. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

No. I found that newsprint paper (not the newspaper, just stock brown paper), does wonders for maintaining a creaseless leather plane.

Do you wad the paper into a ball and stuff it in?

13. Leaveitothexperts

Leaveitothexperts Well-Known Member

Do you wad the paper into a ball and stuff it in?

I put shoe trees in immediately after taking them off and in the bags, then straight into the box. What am I doing wrong? The shoes trees immediately, in the bag after that, or in the box?

14. StevenRocks

StevenRocks Well-Known Member

I store my shoes in a variety of ways. All the shoes that came with shoe bags are placed in those when they're not being worn and placed back in their original boxes. The others are in Container Store clear boxes and in over-door shoe racks.

The former (those in boxes) have shoe trees inserted, while the latter have shoe trees inserted for moisture absorption during the first 24 hours, then they're removed (keeping them in all the over-door shoes places too much weight and pressure on the shoe racks, I tried this and it didn't work out)

15. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

I put shoe trees in immediately after taking them off and in the bags, then straight into the box. What am I doing wrong? The shoes trees immediately, in the bag after that, or in the box?

I would let them air at least overnight with shoe trees in before I put them in the bags and box.

The wad and stuff method under discussion is for unworn shoes, or perhaps shoes being seasonally stored.

16. Will

Will Well-Known Member

Like Tomasso I store the active rotation on shoe shelves with trees inserted.

Out of season shoes are in another closet, in bags. Sets of bags are also stored in each suitcase, for packing purposes.

17. hossoso

hossoso Well-Known Member

I've grown weary of the Black Shoe Bias that has permeated these MB's. Its mantra is nauseating.

Noted, especially as the one black pair of shoes I did buy are incredibly beautiful. The black has very subtle undertones of blue and gold which make for a much more pleasing aesthetic than I can possibly describe. I would still choose a brown over a matte/flat black anyday though. But I'll try to lay off the black shoe bashing in general, I know when done right they can hold their own with any color in the spectrum.

18. pemazel

pemazel Active Member

OK, we all do it our own way. Perfect. But I suppose there must be someone around who knows - or thinks he knows - what really is best for precious shoes.

Who dares?

Paul

19. grimslade

grimslade Well-Known Member

What you want to do is, put them in the box first. Then, once they're in the box, put them in the bags. Once you've got them in the bags inside the boxes, put the shoe trees in. It takes a certain amount of practice to do it in this order, but it's worth it.

OK, we all do it our own way. Perfect. But I suppose there must be someone around who knows - or thinks he knows - what really is best for precious shoes.

Who dares?

Seriously, there's no right answer (aside from trees, which are a must). It depends on where you store your shoes, how liable they are to damage between wearings, etc. I think though that even those who use boxes or boxes and bags or bags would acknowledge that these measures do not rise to the same level of necessity as trees.

20. Leaveitothexperts

Leaveitothexperts Well-Known Member

What you want to do is, put them in the box first. Then, once they're in the box, put them in the bags. Once you've got them in the bags inside the boxes, put the shoe trees in. It takes a certain amount of practice to do it in this order, but it's worth it.

[​IMG]

Seriously, there's no right answer (aside from trees, which are a must). It depends on where you store your shoes, how liable they are to damage between wearings, etc. I think though that even those who use boxes or boxes and bags or bags would acknowledge that these measures do not rise to the same level of necessity as trees.

+1