1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Steven Alan

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by edubs01, Sep 9, 2009.

1. mistewacko

mistewacko Well-Known Member

Where was the option for a 38S (Short)? Or did you mean 38R (Regular)?

2. DC Office Hack

DC Office Hack Well-Known Member

There's a nice sale going on right now.

Anyone have any experience with Steve Alan dress pants?

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Well-Known Member

I've got two fenton suits that the jacket sleeves are too long (functional cuffs, don't really want to get them tailored)

Jackets size 36 and 38
    Pants size 29 and 30

Pants are very nice I kind of want to keep the 30 if someone wants only a jacket.

Will put up a b&s listing in a bit but if anyone is interested PM me.

4. DC Office Hack

DC Office Hack Well-Known Member

How would you describe the pant fit?

I'm very reluctant to pull the trigger when there's no return possibility.

5. mcdecker1

mcdecker1 Well-Known Member

i know it says final sale, but I've brought in "final sale" items to return in-store for the last 2 years. Was always able to get store credit.

6. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Well-Known Member

Anybody have any experience with the cashmere beanies/watch caps from this season?
    I like the look of a lot of the Steven Alan product, but I've only ever bought one thing and I was really disappointed (Esteban Henley if anybody cares). I want a cashmere beanie for the winter and it doesn't look like J Crew is bringing theirs back.
    Any help on quality would be really appreciated.

7. brianoh

brianoh Well-Known Member

I'm going to try that. Their sizing is all over the place. Which store in particular did you return to, and did you show them your online receipt?

8. mcdecker1

mcdecker1 Well-Known Member

Returned to the Steven Alan on Fillmore in San Francisco, first time I showed online receipt, second time I just had them pull it up on my credit card history

9. drugstoreblonde

drugstoreblonde Member

I picked up a few Steven Alan shirts on deep discount at East Dane.

Here are my thoughts (YMMV):

Single Needle Shirt:

The size small fits about true to size, market-wise, with a chest circumference of 40 inches. The fabric and construction are excellent. The shirt has a few of the nice touches you don't see in much OTR shirting: fold-over hemming to name one. The only issue I had is with the buttons, which are of the dime-thin plastic variety. If I were a more of a fussbudget, I would likely replace the buttons. Alas, I am not and they will remain. Still: if I were to buy another Steven Alan shirt, I believe it would be in the Single Needle style.

Classic Collegiate Shirt:

This style of shirt has a slimmer fit, with a chest circumference of 38 inches (size small). The neck is comically undersized, and there is no button above the cuffs at the sleeve vent. The fabric and construction I praised in the Single Needle shirt aren't to be found here (granted, this is comparing one single apple to one single orange), but the prints seem to be, by and large, far livelier in this collection than that of the Single Needle variety. Nevertheless, I just don't understand how there can be such a disparity in fits between one collection and another. If you are on the cusp between small and medium (think: a 37-inch chest) you may want to opt for a medium, as this doesn't give you much wiggle room in the chest.

Like I mentioned, YMMV, but I think Steven Alan shirts are worth the (highly reduced) price I paid for them.

1 person likes this.
  10. Peter1

Peter1 Well-Known Member

^^i still have some SA shirts from the early 2000. The buttons are really substantial and the fabrics held up really well. They were 170 or so then so not cheap. In ht e past few years I've hit up the sample sales and noticed a slight drop in quality, esp. The buttons.

Regarding the twisted placket: you know you can untwist them with an iron?

Sizing is Tts, with the twisted seam being slimmer than the oxfords. A SA medium is the same as a Gitman vintage m, believe it or not.

The suiting pants are a nice pickup on sale, too.

I've also bought my wife a bunch of women's clothes from SA and she loves them..

11. drugstoreblonde

drugstoreblonde Member

I actually don't think either the Single Needle or Classic Collegiate collection features a twisted placket (from what I understand, that is a feature of the Reverse Seam collection). Or perhaps I just don't have a keen understanding of what a twisted placket entails (it is simply a rakish misalignment between button and corresponding buttonhole, nicht wahr?).

At any rate, I can certainly see the value and appeal of Steven Alan from the Single Needle shirt I purchased, and will definitely keep my eyes open for other items that bear the man's name.

I haven't looked at much of the Steven Alan women's apparel. For my girlfriend's sake, I will check it out.

Thanks.

12. Peter1

Peter1 Well-Known Member

^^Sorry, wasn't clear, yes the "reverse seam" shirts have the twisted placket and interior pockets.

However, I have a very early SA shirt that only has the twisted placket -- the seams are normal and the pocket is on the exterior. It also has much larger diameter buttons than the later/current ones.

After about 2002 or so they added the other details -- I don't particularly like the interior pocket, too gimmicky, but the placket and reverse seam are kind of cool and not really noticeable. The single needle shirts are pretty nice; have never tried the collegiate cut.

13. irbe

irbe Well-Known Member

remember when i first joined SF, SA were the rave...now a days there are better options.

14. drugstoreblonde

drugstoreblonde Member

I remember first hearing of Steven Alan in, I guess, 2008 (when I was an impoverished student trying to convince friends in NYC to take pity and purchase sample sale items for me).

Strange that it took nearly another 6 years for me to take a risk on a few shirts.

At any rate, I agree that there are better options. I am curious to know what shirt makers you have been paying attention to these days.

15. absolem

absolem Member

could anyone tell me whether their shoes are decent quality? Couldn't figure out where they're made. The one I'm looking at is ~half off.