1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Stefanobi Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kabert, Nov 23, 2004.

1. kabert

kabert Well-Known Member

2. AJL

AJL Well-Known Member

3. kabert

kabert Well-Known Member

Note that the auctions have a sentence saying more info (and pictures perhaps?) on the shoes will be added to the auction descriptions.

Now that I've looked at all 7, I find it interesting that the ugliest ones (OK, the most "unique") IMO are also by far the most expensive. I guess it's the expensive fancy stitching that does it.

4. A Harris

A Harris Well-Known Member

Taste aside, those are Norvegese (handmade.) There is a whole heckuva lot more work involved in making those shoes as opposed to the whole-cuts which are likely Blake stitched. More labor means a higher retail price. I'm pretty sure the Norvegese shoes cost around $1500 a pair at retail.

5. kabert

kabert Well-Known Member

How does Stefanobi compare quality-wise to Sutor Mantellasi? Does anyone have an opinion? Yoox has a huge selection of the latter, some of which are very nice looking.

6. tiger02

tiger02 Well-Known Member

Saw these last night, but didn't recognize the brand. To what other RTW maker's quality would Stefanobi compare?

Tom

7. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

StefanoBi I believe produces the R-T-W secotr of Berluti.

8. naturlaut

naturlaut Well-Known Member

Stefano-Bi was founded by Stefano Branchini and later sold (in part or in whole) to LVMH.  It now produces the high-end shoes for any of the LVMH labels: Berluti, Loewe, and maybe others (I don't visit designer boutiques often).  StefanoBi also made some of Borrelli's shoes at one time.  It has a narrow distribution channel, and in my opinion, getting their shoes outside Europe just doesn't make sense as the prices are marked up so high.  Vacca sells them at $1000/pair, the Japanese list them at $1500/pair (at least).  I have seen StefanoBi in Paris for about 500 Euro.  The only special orders the StefanoBi factory takes are through Berluti (and of course they will be labelled as such).

Those shoes on eBay are very nice, but nothing jaw-dropping.  However, the leather they use is very supple, more so than any others I have tried.  StefanoBi should fit close to Mantellassi (in my experience), ie, if you wear Mantellassi 10, then StefanoBi 10.  For further reference, I wear Lobb 7000 size 9, Mantellassi/StefanoBi 9.5.  Hope that helps.

9. A Harris

A Harris Well-Known Member

They are generally very comparable, though it depends on which exact shoe you are referring to. Some of the Mantellassi's are Blake stitched, as are some of the Stefanobi's. More of the Mantellassi line is handmade than the Stefanobi line though.

Mantellassi has recently gone a similar direction with the multicolored antiquing. I think Stefanobi might still have an edge there though.

If you like the Mantellassi's on Yoox, I would not hesitate to buy a pair. You are going to require a size 13 though.

10. naturlaut

naturlaut Well-Known Member

Those Mantellassi on Yoox are from the lower line of Mantellassi. They are entirely machine-made --- doesn't mean they are bad. However, having own both lines of Mantellassi, the higher line ages better. A pair of loafers I have from this lower line (reaching its third birthday now) is not in very good conditions: leather has turned a bit stiff, lining has cracks. The other pairs from the higher line of about the same age and mileage are in great conditions, and they are actually some of my favourites.

StefanoBi offers both Goodyear and blake.

11. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

Is elongating something we are supposed to want in a shoe? It's an honest question. I suppose it's the more modern look, but I just like the more traditional round toe. Am I weird for liking the look of the EG 202 last the best? I suppose I'm just asking, style-wise, is it ok not to like these new "sleek" lasts?

12. tattersall

tattersall Well-Known Member

I was at Wilkes Bashford a couple of weeks ago and they have a good selection of Stefano-Bi's. Prices started at around $650 (if I remember correctly) and went quickly northwards. Most were very elegant but I had my heart set on the JM Weston demi-chasse in dark brown ... which are at this moment on my feet.

13. j

j Well-Known Member

(AJL @ 23 Nov. 2004, 5:50) It's hard to get a good read on these from the one camera angle. They don't appear very elongating. I wonder how similar they are to these in last shape and color (from souliers): Â http://www.souliers.net/php/dossier/...nobi/doge1.jpg
    Is elongating something we are supposed to want in a shoe? Â It's an honest question. Â I suppose it's the more modern look, but I just like the more traditional round toe. Â Am I weird for liking the look of the EG 202 last the best? Â I suppose I'm just asking, style-wise, is it ok not to like these new "sleek" lasts?
    Do you consider the shoes shown in this picture too elongating? This is about the outer limit of what I'd wear. I'm with you to some extent; some of these are too much for me, especially considering the clothes I have available to wear with them.

14. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Well-Known Member

I think the elongated shoes would like just fine with a narrow, tapered trouser w/o cuffs but would look out of place with a fuller cut, pleated, and more traditional trouser.

15. AJL

AJL Well-Known Member

I'm actually more of a traditionalist myself, although I think a slightly elongated last looks good with these type of Italian wholecuts. And yes, I was thinking of them being paired with slim cut pants, possibly even jeans (egads.), being the mostly casual fellow that I am. Traditionally casual, w/ a twist  [​IMG]

16. TYKOSHIRO

TYKOSHIRO Active Member

17. Ed13

Ed13 Well-Known Member

I recently got lucky and bought a pair of the Stefeno-Bi Norvegese on ebay. Since they have a complex antiquing, is it better to polish with a neutral cream or match the basic light tan colour of the shoe? I would hate to screw up the finish on the shoes.