• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steak Dinner

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
If filet is your favorite cut ( not you in particular) then of course you want a bunch of crap on it, it's flavorless and boring. I eat a lot of beef, more than most people, and that's not bragging that's just that I am a meat and potatoes guy. If a piece of steak that's properly salted is still flavorless, then you are eating a cheap piece of meat. Most steakhouses/butchers serve crap meat and try to hide it in loads of good butter or sauces. The owner of Florence meat here in NYC had the best response when people ask him what sauce to serve with his steaks, "I don't sell steaks that need sauces".

Yes, he's saying that to fat americans for whom a steak is like the epitome of something tastes good. These are people who eat like 10 things maximum. I've eaten at every steak house you've ever eaten at more times than I can count. My first job as a cook was in a high end steak house with great dry aged meat (think Loebl's).

You admit that you're a meat and potatos guy, so I'm guessing that flavor besides beef and starch aren't terribly important to you. Obviously you're going to have this opinion, and once again, this is an apples to oranges discussion. There are obviously a lot of people who are satisfied with a hunk of dry aged beef. Sure it tastes good, but it isn't terribly exciting. The best steak I've had recently was at Primehouse (David Burke) in Chicago. The 72 day aged ribeye. It was a nice piece of meat but there are about 500 other things I'd rather eat than that.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Yes, he's saying that to fat americans for whom a steak is like the epitome of something tastes good. These are people who eat like 10 things maximum. I've eaten at every steak house you've ever eaten at more times than I can count. My first job as a cook was in a high end steak house with great dry aged meat (think Loebl's).

You admit that you're a meat and potatos guy, so I'm guessing that flavor besides beef and starch aren't terribly important to you. Obviously you're going to have this opinion, and once again, this is an apples to oranges discussion. There are obviously a lot of people who are satisfied with a hunk of dry aged beef. Sure it tastes good, but it isn't terribly exciting. The best steak I've had recently was at Primehouse (David Burke) in Chicago. The 72 day aged ribeye. It was a nice piece of meat but there are about 500 other things I'd rather eat than that.

Yes, a piece of beef, at the end of the day, is still pretty singular in flavor. That doesn't make it any less desirable as a food. Sometimes, I don't want a plate of food that took 14 different ingredients with a sauce that was reduced down by 80%; sometimes a simple piece of beef is what it takes to hit the spot.

At the end of the day, different strokes...

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vaclava krishna
Have you been to the, Euro Market on 31st ?
Must've driven past it a hundred times. I need to go in there one of these days, at least for some of the beers they carry. What should I get, beer or otherwise?
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Merlot?
frown.gif

You've been hating a lot lately. Having trouble with teh love life again?

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Yes, a piece of beef, at the end of the day, is still pretty singular in flavor. That doesn't make it any less desirable as a food. Sometimes, I don't want a plate of food that took 14 different ingredients with a sauce that was reduced down by 80%; sometimes a simple piece of beef is what it takes to hit the spot.

At the end of the day, different strokes...

Different strokes absolutely. But, something doesn't need that many components to be flavorful. To me something like a fresh fig or urchin or something as simple as good salami or jamon on fresh bred with a single slize of good tomato with salt and pepper has a lot more flavor than a steak.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Different strokes absolutely. But, something doesn't need that many components to be flavorful. To me something like a fresh fig or urchin or something as simple as good salami or jamon on fresh bred with a single slize of good tomato with salt and pepper has a lot more flavor than a steak.

Hmmm...were you put on steak duty for so long that you've been scarred for life?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

You are obviously very bitter (are you overweight/parents obese?) and you lost any credibilty when you mentioned Lobels. That's like mentioning Gucci in a clothing discussion.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
You are obviously very bitter (are you overweight/parents obese?) and you lost any credibilty when you mentioned Lobels. That's like mentioning Gucci in a clothing discussion.

No it isn't and you know it. For the average consumer it's quite overpriced but it's a fairly good benchmark for quality. Yes, can I get better beef from small operations throughout the United States, France, Kobe, and patagonia, but equating Lobels to something as plastic and badly mass produced as most of what Gucci puts out is a little bit sensationalist. It's also a name that most people recognize and that's why I use it. Keep in mind that good restaurants usually don't use something like that for their supply, and the trend is to go straight to the farmers.

Whatever, you love steak, I get it. If you seriously think eating that **** tastes good then all the power to you and your weber grill. I actually don't know why I just got into an argument about flavor and food with a man who spends a great deal of time licking a part of the body that is quite often covered in feces.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I actually don't know why I just got into an argument about flavor and food with a man who spends a great deal of time licking a part of the body that is quite often covered in feces.

crackup[1].gif

Cavalier

Reaction score

I have to agree.... there's tons of things I'd rather eat besides steak...

In fact, it's incredibly rare for me to go out to a steak house any more.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
According to the book "Heat," there are not many Chianini cows left in Italy, and the best butchers and restaurants use Spanish beef to make the Bistecca Fiorentina.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No it isn't and you know it. For the average consumer it's quite overpriced but it's a fairly good benchmark for quality. Yes, can I get better beef from small operations throughout the United States, France, Kobe, and patagonia, but equating Lobels to something as plastic and badly mass produced as most of what Gucci puts out is a little bit sensationalist. It's also a name that most people recognize and that's why I use it. Keep in mind that good restaurants usually don't use something like that for their supply, and the trend is to go straight to the farmers.

Whatever, you love steak, I get it. If you seriously think eating that **** tastes good then all the power to you and your weber grill. I actually don't know why I just got into an argument about flavor and food with a man who spends a great deal of time licking a part of the body that is quite often covered in feces.

rolleyes.gif
I get it, your palate us uber sophisticated and there are no unloving fat people in your family. Ducaise and Dufresne shiver at the thought if you walking into one of their establishments. I'll just sit here with my weber grill and costco meat, happy in my ignorance.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
one of the best culinary discoveries Ive ever made was cooking a steak indoors on a cast iron skillet. Our apartment has a communal grill and its such a crap shoot. Indoors, cook for 3 minutes on each side and its perfect.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
According to the book "Heat," there are not many Chianini cows left in Italy, and the best butchers and restaurants use Spanish beef to make the Bistecca Fiorentina.

Originally Posted by Aspire2Style
Yes, I did read that as well. When I was in Santa Margherita Ligure two summers ago, the local butcher did have Chianina beef in their display case, as did a local restaurant. I hope that truth in advertising and indignant locals would prevent them from misleading their public.

Cesare Cassella (the chef @ Maremma in the W. Village, now closed) invested in a small herd of Chianina which he keeps upstate and uses for his beef dishes - not sure of his new venture....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads