1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Standard damage discount

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by amirrorcrackd, Feb 18, 2005.

1. amirrorcrackd

amirrorcrackd Well-Known Member

So, when I bought this: http://66.170.193.77/cgi-bin....;t=8753 (APC overcoat), i asked the salesman to break open the pockets for me, that way I wouldn't be held responsible in case any damage was done. So, while doing this, he found (or made) a small tear (about half an inch in one of the pocket linings). Unfortunately, this was the last coat in my size, so I got a 5% discount on it. They offered to fix the hole, but I opted for the discount thinking I could fix it or get it fixed on my own. Was that a fair discount? Should it have been more? Thanks, Dan

2. stache

stache Well-Known Member

Sounds fair to me.

3. itzamazing

itzamazing Well-Known Member

I usually get 10% at the department stores. I don't think 5% is that great. Did you ask for the discount or did they offer it after you declined to have them repair the item?

4. kabert

kabert Well-Known Member

The tear was in the lining right, not the outer fabric? If that's the case, so the tear isn't at all visible on the outside, IMO 5% is very fair.

5. ernest

ernest Well-Known Member

But the tear will get bigger with time if nobody fix it. And this is work. 10% is the minimum

6. Carlo

Carlo Well-Known Member

How much money was the 5%? It's a question of your time really but a hole in the pocket seam is a 30 second sewing job.

7. amirrorcrackd

The tear was in the lining of the pocket (no one will ever see it). The discount amounted to $20. I sewed it up myself last night. It's not pretty, but it's not getting any bigger, that's for sure. Took me about five minutes.

Dan

8. amirrorcrackd

She basically offered me three options. They could fix it, she could give me 5% off, or I could return the item. I opted for the discount. They were very pleasant and accomodating about it. And the coat fits AMAZINGLY.

All you 36s, go buy that APC coat in XS. (It's not on the website for some reason.)

Dan

9. dietcookie

dietcookie Well-Known Member

10. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Well-Known Member

I almost always will do at least 10%, and if the damage is really noticeable but not on a dres shoe, I will even make it closer to 20%, just to save the hassle of returing the item, but I still try to pull a bit of a profit out if possible. 5% to me sounds almost ridiculous, not incentive to buy a damaged good unless considerably more expensive a product.

11. amirrorcrackd

Incidentally, what is the reason that manufacturers/tailors tack the pockets closed in the first place?

dietcookie, my roomie has a digital camera, maybe i can use it when i get home from work.

Dan