1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by medtech_expat, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  2. sdfzs

sdfzs Well-Known Member

Shearling lining just in time for loafer season?

3. Leaves

Leaves Well-Known Member

Indeed correct! I just had to, after getting my first fully shearling lined boots. It's just sooooo comfy. And it's 3 degrees centigrade and it's gonna snow on Saturday, so no loafer season in Sweden yet!

1 person likes this.
  4. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Well-Known Member

+1 on shearling. Good eye if that's it.

5. sdfzs

sdfzs Well-Known Member

Well, i'm picking up my 601 balmoral boots in ALP 074 / JAN Maraca tomorrow so i can go with that outlook some time still

6. Leaves

Leaves Well-Known Member

Varmt välkommen!

7. sdfzs

sdfzs Well-Known Member

Poor lighting disclaimer but with that being said these came out beyond great. Some natural light images coming...

Back in late autumn at the StC trunk show i looked at the Alpine Grain leather (now referred to as Mountain Calf if i understand it correctly) and while the leather really caught my eye my mind was already set on something else. With heavy inspiration from another gentleman's pair around Christmas i placed the order on these in Feb and picked them up today. These alone make me manage some delays in warmer weather

The grain texture in the ALP leather is very subtle, very similar to the TCK leather in my view. At distance looking similar to crust but up closes the grain structure kicks in adding an element to it.

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  8. ericgereghty

Can folks possibly expound upon the differences between the ANI (aniline?) and the standard CRU? Pros and cons? Preferences for either?

9. cypi2

cypi2 Well-Known Member

This is what I remember from a discussion with a retailer:
    ANI (for aniline as you pointed out) calf leather is colored during the tanning process which gives this leather a much more uniform color.
    CRU (for crust), on the other hand, is dyed by hand once the shoes are finished, and as a result, the color of this leather is more subtle and nuanced.

Some people point out that crust can get scuffed easier than aniline, and, that creases are sometimes more visible on crust than on aniline.
    Crust also requires more maintenance to retain its aspect. With no or little maintenance, dryness may be more apparent (these little white lines) on crust than on aniline leather.

I have heard that from a maker's perspective working with crust can be a real ordeal because some leather imperfections may only be revealed during the dying process once the shoes are finished.
    While aniline leather can hide some minor leather imperfections.
    This could mean that makers will tend to select leather freer of imperfections to make crust leather shoes than they select to make aniline leather shoes..

This is personal, but, I usually prefer crust leather because of the nuances in the color.
    And, I also find that the patina that builds on crust has a little more 'depth' and is richer than on aniline (I truly enjoy maintaining my shoes, by the way).

1 person likes this.
  10. chifromdachi

chifromdachi Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    A brisk spring day in LA, today.

9 people like this.
  11. TtownMD

TtownMD Well-Known Member

^^^looking sharp man love the kudu color & pant combo sir !!

12. benyslookbook

benyslookbook Member

13. ericgereghty

@cypi2 thanks for the expansive summary, sir.

@chifromdachi excellent get up. Really enjoy seeing the ghillies out in the wild. Great day as well...catching a beautiful breeze on the streets today!

14. chifromdachi

Thank you kindly, my guys.

15. chifromdachi

Effin' WOW.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  16. Meyboom

Meyboom Well-Known Member

Those boots look terrific! On a side note, I find it rather funny how some of the world's most expensive and exquisite shoes are packed in a box that looks like it's been put together by an 11 year old with secondhand cardboard and a stapler :)

17. sdfzs

sdfzs Well-Known Member

Interesting coincidence! I had a discussion with Mr Car about th boxes and the special character of them. If I recall correctly they are put together per something silimar to a just-in-time principle due to space constraints. Material stored flat until needed basically. To me it's very fitting that the MTO shoes comes in MTO boxes :D

We drifted into Carmina in that discussion and they got their boxes shipped in pre-made if I recall correctly, must be massive light packages coming in given their significant production volume

18. chifromdachi

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Happy Easter from me and The Queen Bee.

2 people like this.
  19. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Well-Known Member

What's the detail?

20. Leaves

Leaves Well-Known Member

Fur lined. Now you might think, who gets a pair of shearling lined derbies? Obviously you have not been Stockholm. It snowed the other day. :)