• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You know, that is one of those shoes (where I think there are many in this category) that is very beautiful as a standalone piece. Shows the craft, beauty of the materials and finishing, however is just that, a standalone piece. All of the contrast and such between the sole edge, piping, laces I just can't see it working well in many outfits. Certainly not a suit as it just grabs your eye and looks incongruent. Furthermore, it is a wholecut, technically a more formal piece of footwear.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I were to have it made, I would do so with dark sole/stitching. I never go with natural. Also no contract piping/liner.

I mostly like the last and leather in that shot, and obviously switching to dark details is piece-of-cake.

As for formality, idunno. Wholecut is appropriate for formal, but not innapropriate for informal, in my mind.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been doing a good job of not buying shoes for the last year. I certainly have no need for any more. Shouldn't be reading shoe threads...

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How many shoes do you have? I just find I wear out my shoes pretty fast so I am constantly catching up.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About 10 in the work rotation, 5 of which get worn twice as often as the rest. 2 of which are rubber soled for rain appropriateness.

I have type/color/formality spectrum well covered, to the point that additional shoes add little additional diversity. I have yet to need a resole (since going EG level in 2009).

Clothing is a hobby but I have many other uses for cash, and the utility of an extra shoe is much less than the utility of a flight to Vegas or any other social activity.

Do you replace rather than resole?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No, I resole my shoes, but my shoes seem to suffer from cracked uppers at an alarming rate. Each shoe that has cracked I have replaced with a slightly better shoe in hopes of a longer life.

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@chogall - I have considered bespoke but I find that I generally fit pretty well into most lasts and I'm not a shoe designer...with MTO's I can get pretty much anything. I plan to start some work with Bestetti in a week or two on his Novecento line which is pretty close to bespoke...you send him measurements and photos of your feet and in shoes as well as info about shoes and lasts of other brands that fit you well...he sends you a trial shoe based one of his 4 lasts...and you take photos of your foot in the trial shoe...and then he makes further adjustments to the last and builds the shoe based on that. And in terms of style and design you can do pretty much anything you want.

@patrickBOOTH - I have that wholecut and agree that it is not suitable for suits.
I wear mine casually with jeans and chinos and dressed up with grey/blue trousers and odd sport coats.
It doesn't look right with suits...but I am also a believer that with conservative suits only black shoes should be worn.

@SoGent - As far as the riva last goes...I agree with PB that it does look very similar to the classic...especially at a distance or when being worn it is hard to tell the difference between the two. Photos of the riva below..

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No, I resole my shoes, but my shoes seem to suffer from cracked uppers at an alarming rate. Each shoe that has cracked I have replaced with a slightly better shoe in hopes of a longer life.

That's strange. Maybe you put weird stresses on your shoes, or maybe you're unlucky. Store them near heat? Squish/stretch them when sitting? Fit is off?

I use Saphir reno, which you disavow, and have not had any issues with uppers.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No, I store them fine, don't put unnecessary stress on them. I'm actually probably much more conscious of my shoes than most in normal everyday life. I do walk a lot though.

Stirling

Reaction score

No, I store them fine, don't put unnecessary stress on them. I'm actually probably much more conscious of my shoes than most in normal everyday life. I do walk a lot though.

Given the quality of footwear you are using the amount you walk should not result in cracked leather. It makes me quite sad whenever I read about your shoes, do you have pics btw?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not really on hand. It is quite annoying and I have basically just adopted it as normal at this point. They just become rain shoes until they look homeless.

Last edited:

forseti6

Reaction score

@patrickBOOTH
- I have that wholecut and agree that it is not suitable for suits.
I wear mine casually with jeans and chinos and dressed up with grey/blue trousers and odd sport coats.
It doesn't look right with suits...but I am also a believer that with conservative suits only black shoes should be worn.

I dunno. I wear A LOT of plaids. Of my seven or eight suits I normally wear, all but two are plaids / windowpane. So I'm not dressing conservatively to begin with. I think these shoes will go perfect with some of my darker grey plaid suits or even navy plaid suits.

Then again I'll also wear green shoes with my suits and dark blue shoes with my greys. My shoe closet is about 80% non-black. Not the biggest fan of black.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I just feel that that slightly lighter shade of brown contrast is jarring with anything.

Last edited:

forseti6

Reaction score
I can see that. But ironically, that's what I found so attractive about it. I've just never seen another wholecut so stunning before. Personally, I don't mind drawing attention to my feet, so the light brown contrast is perfect in my eyes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads