1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by medtech_expat, Jul 22, 2011.

1. SoGent

SoGent Well-Known Member

yep . . . . put some horns on it and you're there.

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I mean that in the best possible way, though.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  3. SoGent

SoGent Well-Known Member

wish I had the time to photochop

4. patrickBOOTH

5. cgo

cgo Well-Known Member

I agree on the pics the novello looks more elegant than chisel....wish I can see it myself

6. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

For the 205 would you take it on classic or chisel? Pretty sure that is going to be my next pair but can't decide on last

7. SoGent

SoGent Well-Known Member

me . . . . i'm going chiseled on that one just to shake the look up a lil bit

8. patrickBOOTH

9. SoGent

SoGent Well-Known Member

10. patrickBOOTH

Classic. I don't like the chiseled at all. Novello over chiseled, but I think that kind of brogue looks best with the classic. Nice almond shape to show off all of the lines and punches. Chiseling just makes it look slightly too busy.

11. stevent

Yeah tried on on yesterday and chisel looked solid. Usually prefer round toes though

Full brogue. Thinking Cru 609 or 619 or the dark purple one right now with croc facing

Leathersoul chisel
    [​IMG]

Ethan / Amoury classic
    [​IMG]

edit: I took too long to upload pictures haha

12. stevent

Yeah I prefer the round toes generally but have so many round toe wingtips already, probably going to just see what Phillip says

13. patrickBOOTH

My guess is he would say classic. I know he's not fond of the chiseled toe. I think I recall him saying all of his shoes are round toes except for one, because it was a mistake. I am curious on his thoughts on the not often seen novello.

14. stevent

[​IMG]

Hoping he brings this shoe to Trunk Show, though I find Novello a bit too long for me

15. SoGent

SoGent Well-Known Member

I would agree with a forego of the novello for that particular shoe. in real life novello would be too extreme for that style
    I luv the novello look but that last isn't for every style AT ALL, the waist is super tapered & the length is what it is and it doesn't apologize

16. patrickBOOTH

Meh, I like it. Certainly better than the chiseled.

17. Shouldaville

Shouldaville Well-Known Member

Regarding the LS Last Pairs, if you want them perfect (no signs of shop wear), you may want to ask about the condition or for a photo. I've had a few Last Pairs that looked 100% new and fresh out of the box, but some of the Saint Crispin's have been around for nearly three years now. The pair I received had creasing and the highly polished areas had some checking in the finish. With the deal, they were fine with me, and would look similar after a few wears anyway. I just hit them with conditioner/polish and they are already one of my favorites.

18. PCK1

PCK1 Well-Known Member

I've said this before...but I'll say it again.

StC's chiseled last does not impress me. It looks chubby and unrefined compared to the chiseled lasts of many of the english makers (i.e., G&G, EG)...and the italians (i.e., Bestetti, Meccariello).

I think StC's best shapes are the classic and riva. I have not seen the novello in person, but it looks very similar to G&G's deco last...which I do like...when used appropriately.

19. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Well-Known Member

Can someone provide input on how the heel cup (unfortunately I do not know the correct term) fit of SC is like? I tend to favor higher cups such as G&G and EG because they prevent slippage from lower heel cups such as C&J and the JL 8K last.

Anyone have opinions about this detail? Thanks.

I assume general proportions are within standard ranges when it comes to sizes (meaning not specific lasts are not REALLY long or REALLY wide)? I think the standard round toe and the chiseled one are the ones I am looking at. Thanks!

20. patrickBOOTH

The heel cups are higher and more shapely. They contour to the heel and around just kind of low and wide like on C&J and AE and the like.