1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Sports

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by forwardpleated, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Ranjeev

Ranjeev Well-Known Member

Soccer, hockey, football and now that I'll be working in a law firm, golf, squash and tennis [​IMG]

2. Looking to improve

Looking to improve Well-Known Member

I regularly umpire field-hockey games for the Dutch field hockey association.

MtB

3. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Well-Known Member

Golf is a sport not just a game or past time, and do you play?

Do you think Tiger any less an athlete than say, a kicker for the NFL, or a relieve pitcher in baseball...please give me a break, walk 4 miles a day 5 to 6 days a week, swing a club on average 350 times a week not counting practice on the range, duel within ones mind the ideological path of the ball, being one man one mind against 160 other players, earning only your winnings, with no guarantees to pay, especially for the first year players with no endorsements. Until you have lived under the driven pressures of competitive golf, endured 6 hour rounds in the driving heat of summer when all is not going as planned, forced yourself to embrace the idea of loosing with no chance but to finish, then tell me it is not a sport but a past time or a game.

4. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

I think that is definitely the fate of the average pro player. However, this is not the experience of the vast majority that play golf. Yes it can be a physically grueling game, but for most people I don't think it is. Â I think if you're playing something like hockey, basketball or skiing, mountain biking, etc. it's going to challenge you a lot more physically (perhaps not mentally, small balls do funny things to the male psyche) than a round of golf on a Sunday morning. A.

5. nightowl6261a

But the subject is, does anyone play a sport, well I do, it is golf, it is not your average "Sunday morning Outing"...it is a serious game for serious players, maybe more grueling mentaly than any other game an amatuer can play only because it is you against everyone else....try a game where there are more rules, more thinking, more walking, and more physical endurance of the upper body muscle system than any other, and yet it is not a team effort. Give me a break, those who do not consider golf a sport, truly are the unpriviledged group who cannot understand the demands the sport incurrs upon the body, or they just don't get it because they are not talented enough to master it....which that seems to be the general truth.

6. VMan

VMan Well-Known Member

I'll also second racquetball. Fun as hell, and you get a real workout if you play for a few hours.

7. VMan

VMan Well-Known Member

What about bear-hunting with a 3" knife and your fists as your only weapons?

8. nightowl6261a

do you not think it would be more sporting with a steak knife and a rope, no fists.

9. VMan

VMan Well-Known Member

(VersaceMan @ Feb. 14 2005,15:10) What about bear-hunting with a 3" knife and your fists as your only weapons?
    do you not think it would be more sporting with a steak knife and a rope, no fists.
    You're right - the knife is rather unsportsman-like. New rule - you're allowed to grow your nails out in lieu of the knife.