1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Sports jacket with cuffed sleeves

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by PTWilliams, Feb 18, 2011.

1. PTWilliams

PTWilliams Well-Known Member

I was considering this sports jacket but would appreciate some opinions. I liked the pattern, but the cuffed sleeves are something I have not seen before. Opinions appreciated. Thanks

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2. TRINI

TRINI Well-Known Member

I can't comment on the sleeves but RUSSELL PLAID!!!

3. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Well-Known Member

Assuming it fits well, I think the fabric looks nice and I would imagine that the cuffed sleeves would make it a rather unique piece to own.

4. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

5. Fred H.

Fred H. Well-Known Member

No X 2. Plus, the vertical/horizontal patterns seem distorted. While that may be a function of the fabric, IRL you'll come to do a slow burn about how it looks down the road a bit.

6. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Well-Known Member

I strongly dislike both the fabric pattern and the cuffed sleeves.

I do like the besom ticket pocket, however, and the pattern matching is excellent.

7. PTWilliams

PTWilliams Well-Known Member

I tend to dress too conservatively and thought this could nudge me out of my shell.

Your negative comments will help me maintain my no-purchases-until-March pledge

Thanks.

8. Matt S

Matt S Well-Known Member

I really like the turn-back cuffs. The fabric is okay, I don't love it or hate it. But I'd get it just for the turn-back cuffs.

9. dragon8

dragon8 Well-Known Member

10. Kslim

Kslim Well-Known Member

How..unique...

11. Simon Radash

Simon Radash Active Member

How..unique...

Well even though unique doesn't mean nice, I must say in this case it is pretty OK in my opinion and it's uniqueness could be one of it's strongest points.

12. comrade

comrade Well-Known Member

I was considering this sports jacket but would appreciate some opinions. I liked the pattern, but the cuffed sleeves are something I have not seen before. Opinions appreciated. Thanks

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Cuffed sleeves are very old line Savile Row. See the photos of Ian Fleming.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...w=1521&bih=846

As for the jacket, probably no.

13. Lightbringer

Lightbringer Well-Known Member

14. Sator

Sator Well-Known Member

Cuffed sleeves are very old line Savile Row. See the photos of Ian Fleming.

[​IMG]

Cuffed sleeves are a very traditional bespoke detail. They are often considered an Edwardian touch but they made a comeback around the 1950-60s. I like the look myself. I have spotted them on Sean Connery era James Bond coats.

The reason you don't see it outside of bespoke tailoring is that it can make sleeve alterations fiddly. The cuffs are usually cut-on rather than grown on.

BTW there is nothing wrong with the pattern matching. As for whether you like the cloth design - that is up to you. The check is unusually large.

15. Svenn

Svenn Well-Known Member

^I like them too, I don't think the average observer would think they are out of the ordinary either, they might just think the jacket was an overcoat or something. Jackets had cuffs on them for hundreds of years until the 19th century. I'd prefer a cuff that went all the way around the sleeve though, rather than the curved abbreviated one above.... it should be longer too, maybe 4 inches, those 1 or 2 inch ones look kinda weak and I think that might be part of the aversion people have with the OP pic. I thought it would look nice if 2 of the 4 cuff buttons went through a 360 degree turnback.

16. Metlin

Metlin Well-Known Member

Great pattern, ugly cuffs (and pockets).

17. Matt S

Matt S Well-Known Member

^I like them too, I don't think the average observer would think they are out of the ordinary either, they might just think the jacket was an overcoat or something. Jackets had cuffs on them for hundreds of years until the 19th century. I'd prefer a cuff that went all the way around the sleeve though, rather than the curved abbreviated one above.... it should be longer too, maybe 4 inches, those 1 or 2 inch ones look kinda weak and I think that might be part of the aversion people have with the OP pic. I thought it would look nice if 2 of the 4 cuff buttons went through a 360 degree turnback.

I prefer Fleming's cuffs, though it's what I'm most used to seeing. Roger Moore had them on many suits in the colour episodes of The Saint, but his only had one button. I don't think I'd like cuffs that go all the way around, it would look too much like a trouser leg. I find Fleming's cuffs aesthetically pleasing yet effective enough to protect the end of the sleeve.

18. IsteRed

IsteRed Well-Known Member

I think that pattern had a potential for becoming a great sj.But it's not,so no i don't like it.