1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by spiermackay, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Mr Clemson

Mr Clemson Well-Known Member

Does anyone happen to own a S&M suit in the slim fit and also a SuSu suit in the Lazio, Sienna, or Havana that could compare the slimness of the pants? Per the measurements, it looks like the SuSu pants are more tapered below the thigh, which I actually like given my slim legs, but I would love to get feedback from someone who owns both.

2. KWang94

KWang94 Well-Known Member

I own a SM 34R and a SS Lazio 34R.

My experience is that the SM is much more tapered than the Lazio.

3. Mr Clemson

4. Mr Clemson

Oh wow. I would have thought the opposite. Thanks for the feedback.

5. Spex

Spex Well-Known Member

Kamakura recently released their Sciolto model shirt which features a 1-piece collar. Would Spier & Mackay be able to execute this type of feature? For those not familiar with this, note the absence of a collar band.

[​IMG]

6. ino68

ino68 Well-Known Member

Like the one Jiro wore in 'Jiro Dreams of Sushi'?

That one had a smooth line from placket to collar point, where this one seems to just have no collar band.

7. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Well-Known Member

I've asked for this, looking exactly for the Jiro shirt.

Rick said they are working on the pattern.

8. Spex

Spex Well-Known Member

There was a brief thread about Jiro's shirt: http://www.styleforum.net/t/331638/japanese-button-down-shirts-quite-different
    [​IMG]

Looking at the photo there it doesn't look any different than the Kamakura Sciolto button down collar. The thing I just realized is that the spread collar version has a top button so that it can be buttoned all the way up to be worn with a tie, while the button down collar has no top button so it's meant to be worn open.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  9. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Well-Known Member

The white button down version looks excellent. Pics remind me, I should get a few french placket shirts, one piece collar or not.

10. KWang94

KWang94 Well-Known Member

Quote:Just had S&M create a one piece collar for me. Very pleased with mine. Stands up like a champ.

11. Lancaster

Lancaster Well-Known Member

When's tie is worn with a popover, the difference between the popover and the button shirt more or less disappears. It generally will look like a tie worn with a button shirt. When a tie is worn with a polo shirt, it looks like a tie worn with a polo shirt. That is a pretty stark distinction.

1 person likes this.
  12. kammerer66

kammerer66 Well-Known Member

Tie or no tie, what are the benefits of the popover shirt, compared to a button up shirt? I am genuinely curious.

13. Lancaster

Lancaster Well-Known Member

I don't usually wear them with a tie but I like popovers because the lack of buttons where you'd expect to find them make them visually interesting. My friend wears ties with popovers and he likes them for their versatility. With a tie they look like their button down cousins and when he takes the tie off the popovers are a step down on the formality ladder from full button downs so he can feel/experience/project a range of formality with one garment by simple removing his tie.

1 person likes this.
  14. 7_rocket

7_rocket Well-Known Member

I wear a 34R in Lazio and a 38R slim in SM fit me

15. Spex

Spex Well-Known Member

As someone mentioned earlier, I'm wondering if a popover that fits like my custom S&M shirts would be difficult to slip on, considering the trim-ness and high armholes. I have no experience wearing pop overs, so maybe it's a misconception.

16. spiermackay

spiermackay Well-Known Member

Generally add 1" to your chest,waist, hip measurements. 1.5" if your shirts are really slim.

17. exfalso

exfalso Member

18. Spex

Spex Well-Known Member

That's exactly it. A popover would end up being a more casual, loose fitting shirt. I'm not sure I'd wear one with a tie, like my more tailored spread collar shirts that I buy for wearing with a tie.

19. The Dirk

The Dirk Member

@SPIER & MACKAY Sorry to bug ya if this has already been asked, but are all your suits in stock now made at the new factory? I know the ones with the basting over the lapel are, but I was wondering the the other older staples are all made in the same location. I'm trying to decide which suit to buy as my second Spier and Mackay suit, so I want to be certain I'm getting something from the new factory since it's a slightly better make.

P.S. Just bought 4 dress shirts from you guys, and wow! they are great! Got the Premium White dress shirt, and it's excellent.

Dirk

20. spiermackay

spiermackay Well-Known Member

No, we still have some older odds/ends kicking around. The ones with the basted stitch over the lapel hole are the new factory make. Stick to those if you want to make sure.

Thanks for the praise!