1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by spiermackay, Mar 14, 2014.

1. chiggyv

chiggyv Well-Known Member

Seeing as the sportcoats are on sale I'm wondering what would be suggested for a (first and only) basic navy blazer?

2. sobecane

sobecane Well-Known Member

I notice their ties never get mentioned much by members or by Rick himself. Can anyone provide a review or recommendation? I would like to find out more regarding where they are made, the process, and the quality.

3. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

The hopsack I think would be a great choice, I really have no clue but I was eyeing that one.

http://www.spierandmackay.com/product_information/5412_blue_hopsack___contemporary_fit

I bought some a few years back and they are great, sadly I don't wear ties much so they sit around most of the time. I think Rick is planning some new ones with input from the guys here and that might include some color block styles, in which case I might try out wearing ties again haha.

4. Spex

Spex Well-Known Member

Burden's suggestion is exactly right. Your first an only basic navy blazer should be a solid hopsack blazer, and luckily Spier & Mackay offer one (well..technically two).

The one he linked to above is the one from the new factory (I think you can tell by the little white x stitching across the lapel hole). S&M also still have their older version from the summer made at the old factory. Both are great, I've tried the older one and it was really nice. If I hadn't bought a solid navy sport coat earlier in the year, I would totally buy one during this current offer.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  5. Ebichuman

Ebichuman Well-Known Member

+1 on the hopsack. I just picked up the newest one and it is an outstanding piece....

6. Mr Clemson

Mr Clemson Well-Known Member

I've also been looking at the hopsack. I want to pick up a navy f/w sportcoat, but I'm wondering if this is too light for f/w and more appropriate for s/s. Thoughts? Maybe a cashmere/wool option from somewhere like SuSu would be better for f/w.?

7. spiermackay

spiermackay Well-Known Member

Or a Wool/Cashmere option from us? [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. JayBeee

JayBeee Member

Edit

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  9. Ebichuman

Ebichuman Well-Known Member

Good one :)

Yes, the latest hopsack is rather light, more Spring/Summer than Fall/Winter.

10. Mr Clemson

Mr Clemson Well-Known Member

But do you have a solid navy option? I'm only seeing the blue herringbone as an option.

11. colHolm

colHolm Well-Known Member

Hey Rick,

Any other colours or stripe options coming for the casual cut oxfords?

Thanks

12. Mashfir

Mashfir Member

Not an expert on ties by any means but I received the Navy Polkadot tie as a gift from their grand opening party. Can't comment too much on the quality but it's a very good-looking tie, I've received many compliments on it. I should also note that it holds the knot and dimple very well. My only other point of reference is a Kent Wang grenadine. It's not as 'crunchy' or weighty as that one but that is to be expected.

13. Weathered

Weathered Active Member

Hey everyone, looking for some wisdom here on the S&M trousers.

I ordered a pair of their Contemporary Fit dress trousers in the Blue Pinhead Texture in 36 based on matching the measurements to my favorite pair of dress pants (JCF Bedford Slims). The S&M pants are significantly trimmer than the Bedfords, and based on some quick measurements this morning, are slimmer than the measurements posted on the S&M website (the waist appears to measure at 36.5/37). Is this typical based on what everyone has experienced, or have folks found that they typically run closer to the stated size on the S&M website?

14. spiermackay

spiermackay Well-Known Member

They should match the size on the chart with minor variation that doesn't affect fit. If they are off spec, send them back for an exchange.

A 36 marked waist, will measure out to 37.5" or thereabouts. Was it just the waist or the seat and thigh as well?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  15. NickInTO

NickInTO Well-Known Member

Not sure if this has been asked, but is the blue striped brushed oxford available for custom?

16. Spex

Spex Well-Known Member

I was just about to ask the same thing. I am also considering ordering some custom spread collar Oxford Cloth shirts [​IMG]. Not sure about this yet, though. Thoughts anyone?

17. Weathered

Weathered Active Member

I'm going to measure the seat and thigh as well, but just based on trying them on, the seat and thigh seem to be slimmer than expected as well. I'll send a note to customer service once I have better measurements.

18. Pepetito

Pepetito Active Member

Anyone have the mélange shirt (or that material) that just dropped on the website? Curious on the fabric of it.

19. tonster

tonster New Member

Hi Rick, were you able to find out if I can order the sportcoat through MTM? Also, will I be able to place my order through the website, or do I have to go in store? I've already been measure in-store for shirts.

20. JayBeee

JayBeee Member

Rick can you comment on this? Is it denim/chambray because that would be an instacop for me.