1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by spiermackay, Mar 14, 2014.

1. MSchapiro

MSchapiro Well-Known Member

That is not much of a shoulder modification! I guess if you can modify everything else it's easy enough to work around though.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  2. spiermackay

spiermackay Well-Known Member

More then that, then you'll be in MTM. The armhole, chest cross, back cross have to be modified, which affects the sleeve,etc. A lot more work. That is where the difference lies really.

3. MSchapiro

MSchapiro Well-Known Member

So to be clear you can modify everything but just the shoulder is limited? Or only the shoulder can be modified in MTO?

4. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

I really need to order a Model 2 jacket so I can be a part of these MTMs!

5. Ebichuman

Ebichuman Well-Known Member

Rick, do you have these swatches in the downtown store? Can I swing by, try jacket, pants, make order?

6. greyduck

greyduck New Member

Are these new OCBDs more versatile in the sense that they work better casually and you can still wear them in a business casual environment? Basically when would someone wear this one and when would someone wear the non-casual model? Also, any particular reason why the length was only shortened on the contemporary and not the slim fit?

7. zinc2162

zinc2162 Well-Known Member

They do have the swatches in the downtown store. I was there on Monday and saw them.

8. spiermackay

You can modify the chest, waist, hip, sleeve length, body length, sleeve width, lapel width, shoulder style, shoulder slope/square, square back and any other alteration you can normally do on an OTR suit. Plus you can tinker with pocket style, vents, chest pocket style, button stance, functioning cuffs, button front (1 button, 2 button, 3 roll 2, 3 roll 2.5, etc), lining preference (no lining, 1/4 lining, 1/2 lining). Also you can request canvassing style. Half as default, Full +$150 CAD, fully unstructured (for casuals and weighty fabrics), soft canvassing is a default or more structured.

Everything is in the shop. You can try everything there and get fitted.

2 people like this.
  9. fieldofdreams

fieldofdreams Well-Known Member

MTO can you do vests? If so, double breasted? Also, if so, what would the cost be? @spiermackay

10. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Well-Known Member

I have seen a striking Guabello grey POW double breasted waistcoat in store at one time.

11. spiermackay

We can do double breasted vests. They start at $150 for our stock fabrics which were posted a few months back. I'm trying to get a link on our site to get everything in one place. I should hopefully have that by early next week.

12. spiermackay

The new casual ocbd has no interlining. Its a softer more relaxed construction. The contemporary was shortened by 1" to better wear untucked. The slim was already 1" shorter than the contemporary.

13. Johnsson

Johnsson Well-Known Member

@spiermackay Rick,

Thanks for taking the time to post accurate photos. Do you know if these Fresco swatches correspond to the older books that a lot of people on this forum are familiar with? Did the index numbers just change or are they completely different suitings and new colours?

14. spiermackay

We have the North American Books. Most people look at the website and pull the numbers from there, which are the numbers from the European books. From what I was told, the colours are pretty much the same. Not sure why they did that. That said, you can order pretty much anything from the Huddersfield site as well.

15. Johnsson

Johnsson Well-Known Member

Thanks Rick.

Based on weight, composition and saturation, I'm guessing:

104322 = 0520
    104347 = 0516
    104348 = 0517

16. spiermackay

I can't say for sure. I'd have to confirm with Huddersfield first and get back to you.

17. jaidog

jaidog Well-Known Member

I ordered and received my first shirt from Spier & Mackay. It is a Size 15 Contemporary fit, and is now the best-fitting shirt I own (even better than an MTM I had ordered from Proper Cloth). The problem is that I don't see much of a selection on the website for Size 15 Contemporary fit shirts. Will more be added anytime soon? Would be nice to see a blue chambray, casual white, and other solid colors.

18. fieldofdreams

fieldofdreams Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a picture wearing a SM sportcoat? I'd like to see what the shoulders look like?

19. spiermackay

It's a bit more relaxed than the suits. Similar to the SS Lazio. The new hopsack has no shoulder pad at all.

I'm sure someone here must have one, we are almost sold out of them now.

20. spiermackay