• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

zinc2162

Reaction score
Just came home to find my first shirt waiting for me in the box. First impressions:

1. The fit is great! I don't know if I have S&M or myself (due to good measurements) to thank! Haha.
2. The construction is very good. It looks like I made a mistake and chose "hidden placket" when I meant "french front", but this might grow on me. I will change that for the other shirt which I also mistakenly chose hidden placket for.
3. The material is nice. I chose the "indigo pinpoint". It is a bit shiny, though. Does this shininess disappear over time, or is it just a characteristic of the cloth?
4. The collar looks good in terms of point length, shape and spread (I chose the classic semi-spread with a note to make it 3.25"), however it feels like it's fused with cardboard. Super stiff. I hope this becomes softer with washing. Yes, this is with the collar stays removed. I have a fused Van Laack shirt that is way, way softer than this collar. I'll give it a wash and see what happens. If there is not a substantial change I'll have to instruct to create a different collar for my other shirts.

Overall this is looking quite good!

I have the indigo pinpoint as well. It still has a bit shininess after a couple of wash but it is not as much as when it was new. I actually like the pinpoint fabric a lot. The collar will soften up but not to the same level as the OTR OCBD shirts.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Where did you see that?

On their IG account.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else having issues with Google Chrome and accessing the website? It has a big warning saying the site contains malware then I get an access denied page.

@spiermackay - Any ideas why?

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Anyone else having issues with Google Chrome and accessing the website? It has a big warning saying the site contains malware then I get an access denied page.

@spiermackay - Any ideas why?

Not Sure. Just called my web developer and server host. Trying to get it resolved ASAP.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Just came home to find my first shirt waiting for me in the box. First impressions:

1. The fit is great! I don't know if I have S&M or myself (due to good measurements) to thank! Haha.
2. The construction is very good. It looks like I made a mistake and chose "hidden placket" when I meant "french front", but this might grow on me. I will change that for the other shirt which I also mistakenly chose hidden placket for.
3. The material is nice. I chose the "indigo pinpoint". It is a bit shiny, though. Does this shininess disappear over time, or is it just a characteristic of the cloth?
4. The collar looks good in terms of point length, shape and spread (I chose the classic semi-spread with a note to make it 3.25"), however it feels like it's fused with cardboard. Super stiff. I hope this becomes softer with washing. Yes, this is with the collar stays removed. I have a fused Van Laack shirt that is way, way softer than this collar. I'll give it a wash and see what happens. If there is not a substantial change I'll have to instruct to create a different collar for my other shirts.

Overall this is looking quite good!

We purposely use a stiffer Interlining. It add more support and keeps the collars more sturdy when not wearing a tie so they don't limp or go floppy. That said, you can request softer, lighter fusing, or unfused or even unlined in Custom. Yes, they will soften a bit in the wash, but they were designed to be a bit stiffer than what is generally found on the market, but still remain comfortable to wear.

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not Sure. Just called my web developer and server host. Trying to get it resolved ASAP.

Rick one more suggestion. View All button after the 1,2,3,4,5 pages button. It used to have one, doesn't anymore.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Rick one more suggestion. View All button after the 1,2,3,4,5 pages button. It used to have one, doesn't anymore.

The site as is, is archaic. It was a custom build that we had done when we first started almost 6 years ago. Since then, it's just been getting bloated and not working efficiently. We are in the middle of a full redesign on the Magento platform that should be ready to go by March. We start testing the new site by next week. It will be much, much more user friendly, intuitive and most importantly viewed properly across different platforms.

Spex

Reaction score
We purposely use a stiffer Interlining. It add more support and keeps the collars more sturdy when not wearing a tie so they don't limp or go floppy. That said, you can request softer, lighter fusing, or unfused or even unlined in Custom. Yes, they will soften a bit in the wash, but they were designed to be a bit stiffer than what is generally found on the market, but still remain comfortable to wear.

Yeah, sorry for sounding like a real jerk in my post!
peepwall[1].gif

I'm sure for those who wear the collars without tie the stiffer version makes a lot of sense style wise. I only wear my spread collars with a tie, and have become so accustomed to my unlined ones that I'm not used to anything else! I do appreciate the level of customization you guys offer. Simply fantastic. I've PM'd you to work on the changes to my shirt. I'm in no huge hurry and want to get it right so that I can order future shirts with ease...

xcaber11

Reaction score
Full time lurker, first time poster haha. Actually created an account because the site was down.

Just wanted to say, I've been a big fan of Spier & Mackay. Got my first taste when they rolled out the slim fit dress shirts. At first the quality wasn't the greatest (weak material quality, buttons literally falling off) on the off the rack shirts, but they've improved significantly.

Closet is slowly being flooded with them as they're my go-to for work. Really like the subtle improvements recently with the second button being positioned higher, etc.

Sort of dabbling in the off the rack suits, the slim line is ok so far, I think they could narrow the pant leg at the ankle a bit, and increase the sleeve length on the jackets a tad. Also, in my opinion, the pants have too many belt notches around the waist. Just my small suggestions but I can't complain, considering it's not MTM or bespoke. Overall these guys are doing big things.

Best of luck Rick, all the best for 2016!

thinksnow

Reaction score
I just got my Navy Model 2 suit and thought I would get some fit feedback. Based on my limited knowledge, the suit seems very nice considering the prices during their 20% off sale and the current exchange rate. This size is a 40S. My only other suit to compare is a 38S Napoli.

What I see:
1) I get very slight pulling at button/ waist. I can make it look right in the mirror, but the second I move it shows up. Should this be let out some? Is there material to do this?
2) Sleeves need to be shortened 3/8"
3) Jacket length is something I am generally confused about. I debated weather I need a short or not, but a standard length would involve more serious sleeve shortening. I am not sure how well the button detail removes and the sleeve vent (if that is what it's called?) would need to be moved.

Note that I didn't undo the rear vent stitches yet as I don't know if a return is okay after doing so.

Chambertin

Reaction score
Congrats! I think the fit is pretty great. I don't see a problem with the length or the waist/buttoning. Agree sleeves could be hemmed a touch.

The shoulders seem a bit odd, like they're collapsing in on themselves. Look at the last pic from the back. I think it's caused by the fact that your stance looks like it leans back a bit (2nd pic.)
I wish I could suggest how to fix it though I'm nitpicking which I'm hoping is what you're looking for.

thinksnow

Reaction score
Thanks, nitpicking is what I came here for.

I think my natural stance has my shoulders pulled back my than average, which causes issues. I haven't found a brand/style that really addresses this. The back of the arms show this. You might be on to something about the shoulder/ back position causing the should funkiness.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads