• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spectator Appreciation

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A recent purchase NOS and in my size!

1940s Roblee Ventilated Spectators with mild spade

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Brilliant! Congratulations, Meister.

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gettin' the Summer Specs outta the boxes and all tuned up. First the black & white and brown & white models. Is a dozen pairs excessive??? Nah!

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks Mimo and isshi - probably will have to be next summer as it is getting wintery here but sunny too.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last edited:

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gettin' the Summer Specs outta the boxes and all tuned up. First the black & white and brown & white models. Is a dozen pairs excessive??? Nah!

Top shelf, 3rd shoe (brown and white) details??

looks like RL?

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
More Gaziano & Girling beauty

Adelaide spectators.....aaaargh....my EYES!

That's five portions of serious wonder right there, Nick. Are these all MTO or do you stock any of them? Are they yours? More details would be welcome.

Just realised that I am literally salivating....and this must be the only place I can say that without embarrassment!

Last edited:

Nick A

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Adelaide spectators.....aaaargh....my EYES!

That's five portions of serious wonder right there, Nick.  Are these all MTO or do you stock any of them?  Are they yours? More details would be welcome.

Just realised that I am literally salivating....and this must be the only place I can say that without embarrassment!

The top model is a MTO ready to ship to Canada.

The 2 images in the centre are the same pair in different lighting. Now being worn in Japan.

The Black calf and Ivory Nubuck pair are closer to home. Edingburgh, Scotland.

The second image down are both G&G Samples. Walkton and Astaire

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Top shelf, 3rd shoe (brown and white) details??

looks like RL?

RL has traditionally reproduced several U.S. vintage shoe styles, with C&J making some very nice ones.

My pair is a Johnston & Murphy Handmade from the mid 1940's. Handwelted, closed channel sole, all the fixin's.

Last edited:

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[/quote]
Spectacular.... the first and last ones in particular

du8ajuga.jpg

I agree 100%. A similar 100% handmade by Florsheim circa 1930. The welt edge is cut so close, it is virtually invisible.

alloy13

Reaction score
I really don't feel the allure of white in spectator shoes. There's so much contrast and just makes the shoes look like painted school shoes.

I would think spectators work well with colours of roughly the same hue.

I'm definitely gonna be flamed real soon, but wth I'm bursting to give my 2 cents worth.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads