1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Spain in August

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Xericx, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Xericx

Xericx Well-Known Member

went in. didn't have chance to eat. will do in the next few days, they had a bunch of inexpensive small bites. the caviar bites intrigued me...wondering about the raw oysters though, its too warm for them to be any good i think.

did the pub crawl tonight...lets just say it was "well worth the money". :foo:

prob going to hit up the Prado tomorrow, maybe La Latina and another pub crawl.

looking for more upscale vibe. what is the "rodeo drive" of Madrid?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  2. Xericx

Xericx Well-Known Member

nm..saw Calle Serrano, might check it out for upscale shopping.

some pics from Mercado San Miguel...had some Jamon Iberico Belotta there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Xericx

Xericx Well-Known Member

Taking the AVE from Madrid to Barcelona tomorrow. How long before the train's departure should one arrive at the station? We have a 11:30am departure.

4. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

11AM should be enough if you have an idea where you're going / layout of station and have your ticket already. Without a ticket it's up for grabs given how long lines are. For AVE I usually cut it pretty close but I know the stations well.

5. binge

binge Well-Known Member

Thanks for the pics and descriptions...I'll be in Madrid and Barcelona for just under a week total, come October. Great inspiration in this thread.

6. Xericx

Xericx Well-Known Member

Yup. that was when they gave us the gate assignment. It was kind of expensive, about $170 one way for the AVE.

7. Xericx

Xericx Well-Known Member

madrid was great. it is much more "spanish" than barcelona which is more cosmopolitan.

i'll put more up.

8. texas_jack

texas_jack Well-Known Member

Fuck yeah

Yeah, I tell people go to Madrid if you want to see Spain, go to Barcelona if you want to see Europe.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  9. Xericx

Xericx Well-Known Member

this was in the La Latina section. the tapas bars seemed a bit intimidating for us non-spanish speakers but did wander into this great restaurant.

[​IMG]
    a bull themed bar
    [​IMG]

Callos...stewed tripe. Awesome and I hate Tripe. there was blood sausage and chorizo in there as well....perfect.

[​IMG]

Foie and Mushrooms
    [​IMG]

The stewed Ox/Bull Tail
    [​IMG]
    incredible. served with patatas. it reminded me of the poutin over at Animal restaurant in LA.

great meal. in Barcelona now, the women here are amazing looking.

1 person likes this.
  10. DLester

DLester Well-Known Member

excellent, you take better pics than I do! I miss it already : /

You sound like you don't need any advice, but here are a few Barcelona suggestions:

--Walk along La Rambla, a 4km or so pedestrian walkway along the west side of the historic district. Everybody does this; you would end up doing it even if I hadn't suggested it.

--While on La Rambla, go into the la Boqueria market, which has an entrance off la Rambla: http://www.barcelona.com/barcelona_directory/monuments/boqueria_market

--Visit the Barcelona Cathedral and take the elevator to the top, where you can walk around on the roof and get a panorama of the city.

--Go to la Sagrada Familia (Gaudi church) EARLY to miss the lines. In the afternoon the line streches around the block.

--Wander around the Gothic Quarter, both during the day and at night when the party scene gets rolling.

--I will get you a restaurant recommendation, but it may take a few days. I went to a special place where a friend knew the cook and I forgot the name of it.

-- Go to the Camp Nou (soccer stadium) if you are a soccer fan. The line is horrendous. Requires a cab ride from the historic district.

-- Miro museum, requires a cab ride. Good museum but Madrid is a better museum town.

-- Park Guell, the famous Gaudi park. Do not go in the heat of the day. Recommend cab ride. http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/gaudi/park-guell.html

La Sagrada Familia -- this is the view from the park across the street. Looks like the Wizard of Oz is remodeling.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. DLester

DLester Well-Known Member

double post!

12. Xericx

Xericx Well-Known Member

Yeah, staying in the Barri Gotic area...gotta find the beach to hang out here.....

might do that bus tour just to get oriented to the city and hear the audio tour. already checked out the Bernabeu stadium in madrid, it was a great tour.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  13. Xericx

Xericx Well-Known Member

uhhh...last night here. Did La Tomatina today. Love Spain. Its awesome. I'll get more deets when I'm back in LA.

:slayer:

14. Xericx

Xericx Well-Known Member

In Madrid, there was more of a focus on jamon than in Barcelona and Valencia.

a mixed cheese and assorted cold cuts tray. about 20 bucks at the Jamon Museum. also got a plate of jamon iberico

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sorry, only had an iphone with me that time.

15. Xericx

Xericx Well-Known Member

chocolates and churros. Its a latenight staple, but we opted more for the 2 euro 24 hour pizza slices...we went here in the middle of the day, nice and air conditioned inside. Chocolateria San Gines, which is one of the more famous spots right by the Plaza Mayor. It was really awesome, the chocolate was so thick and the churros absorbed everything nicely.

[​IMG]
    a bit touristy but nice nonetheless.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Xericx

Xericx Well-Known Member

In Barcelona we stopped off at this neighborhood bar where they had a lot of deep fried stuff. I liked it...nice frying!

this wasn't fried, just marinated octopus, kind of like a cerviche with a lemon based marinade.

[​IMG]

Calimari
    [​IMG]

some deep fried shrimp
    [​IMG]

grilled shrimp. sucked the brains out, good stuff!
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. Xericx

Xericx Well-Known Member

This is all in La Boqueria. It was a lot smaller and touristy than I imagined, not a real central market but catering mainly to tourists.
    [​IMG]

We did have a kitchen in our apartment so I did buy some items here. Chorizo, Jamon iberico belotta, assorted cut fruits, several fruit juices and even eggs, which were really good.

I saw this bar on several shows like Rick Steves, but it was closed all month.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Xericx

Xericx Well-Known Member

Tapatac 24. The guy Carlos Abelleron is an alumni of El Bulli....this is his casual tapas bar....he has a more formal, multi-course type restaurant but didn't check out.

[​IMG]

Gazpacho with a Basil pesto Oil
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. ErnestoG.

ErnestoG. Well-Known Member

those croquetas got me all hard.

20. Xericx

Xericx Well-Known Member

I loved croquettes there. my brother and cousin who i went with didn't like them that much.