• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Southern swoop haircut

imhotep

Reaction score
JOHNPARKERWILSON150.JPG

WHY DOES EVERYONE DOWN HERE HAVE THIS? PLS ADVISE.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Because, due to the combined effects of economic exploitation of the South by the North leading up to the War of Northern Aggression and the failures of Reconstruction, our economy still lags those of other regions considerably. This means we can't afford to replace our barber's shears or sharpening tools very frequently, and we cut our hair less often so that we can save money by making our hair-cutting accoutrements last longer. The "swoop," as you call it, is just a way to manage the fact that our hair is longer as a result of infrequent trims.

We do the same thing with pigs and chickens.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's what's referred to as a "hair helmet".

ctp120

Reaction score
Was raised in the south. When we visit my parents, my wife refers to this as "Memphis hair."

imhotep

Reaction score
What puzzles me is why so many have thought that it looks good (i assume they think this?), for so many years. Usually what seems to occur in North American is things like popular hairstyles go along with what celebrities have. I realize Bieber et al have a version of the swoop, but it is quite a bit different in how it is styled.

do girls down here see a well-constructed swoop and think OMG SO HOT?

do guys think it helps them fit in because 90% of their friends have it?

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah wow when i went on a road trip through the south i was stunned. everyone wears a ralph lauren button up, khakis and some type of shoe and that stupid hair cut. thats there fancy look. mean while i almost get into a fight for wearing a v neck but these guys have the gayest hair cut known to man but in the south its manly?

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imhotep
What puzzles me is why so many have thought that it looks good (i assume they think this?), for so many years. Usually what seems to occur in North American is things like popular hairstyles go along with what celebrities have. I realize Bieber et al have a version of the swoop, but it is quite a bit different in how it is styled. do girls down here see a well-constructed swoop and think OMG SO HOT? do guys think it helps them fit in because 90% of their friends have it?
A lot of girls down here like it. Which hick town were you in that people tried to start **** over a v neck? Edit: slow brain again. I need to sleep more. I just realized that this is the whole South and not just Texas. I take back the question on the v neck thing.

thatoneguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
its true, v-necks are considered very feminine "down here"

more so, if you wear a scarf you are GAY FOR SURE

edit: I don't have that haircut

imhotep

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HgaleK
A lot of girls down here like it.

Do you think this is a case of "lowered expectations"? Reason I propose so is because these same girls subscribe to the Hollywood created perception of what is attractive vs not attractive. They think the same male celebrities are attractive that a girl from the North would. However, when it comes to picking themselves out a Southern man (in many cases, his corresponding bank account), all of a sudden the swoop becomes a selling point.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you think this is a case of "lowered expectations"? Reason I propose so is because these same girls subscribe to the Hollywood created perception of what is attractive vs not attractive. They think the same male celebrities are attractive that a girl from the North would. However, when it comes to picking themselves out a Southern man (in many cases, his corresponding bank account), all of a sudden the swoop becomes a selling point.

The haircut isn't ubiquitous in Texas. I do know that girls here definitely don't have to lower expectations. There are a ton of attractive dudes- even the hick ones. It really doesn't have much to do with that. Girls calculate attractiveness in people they know based upon how so many different qualities. There are plenty of objectively hot guys who won't considered as bangable as the frat douche wearing plastic oakley+orange croakie/fishing shirt/bermuda shorts/sperrys to a certain segment of southern sorostitutes. Then there are the girls in Austin who get the hots for the objectively ugly scene kid who can't sing and can only play power chords on guitar. There's the whole inbetween as well. No one is lowering expectations, just shifting qualities that they value.

imhotep

Reaction score
^ From what I hear Austin is quite different than where I am at (MS)?

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ From what I hear Austin is quite different than where I am at (MS)?

Oh. Ooooooooooh. Damn. You're talking proper south. I'd go ahead and ignore everything I just posted because I know nothing about that area.

Austin is currently the only US city that I would settle down in. I've never been to San Diego or San Francisco though.

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That guy has abnormally small ears.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads