• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

[SOON , A TITLE HERE ]

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmm nothing comes to mind. How recent ?

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
she died a while ago, 19-something
i cant remember where i saw the article, magazine or online. if i find her i'll report back!

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

jwjp

Reaction score
last series of The Thick of It got off to a slow start but last few episodes were superb. penultimate episode was probably some of the best television ever

momentoftruth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
last series of The Thick of It got off to a slow start but last few episodes were superb. penultimate episode was probably some of the best television ever

QFT. I miss that show already

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still haven't watched the last one but yeah, the inquiry episode is monumental.

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sou Fujimoto architects winning proposal for the Taiwan Tower International Competiton (Taichung city), in collaboration with Fei & Cheng associates.

The project is comprised of two main elements – the grand structural frame and the roof-top garden. Inspired by the Taiwanese Banyan tree, the structural frame creates a shaded, semi-outdoor space as it encases the site. Simultaneously, the roof-top garden floats 300 meters above the city.

The exterior effect of the steel construction is produced with vertical and inclined perimeter, inner and intermediate columns as well as spiral beams and roof beams. the presence of leaning vertical elements - comprised of 80mm diameter hollow tubes - will provide lateral stability from wind and earthquakes loads. comprised of two intertwined units, the spiral beams stitch together the outer and inner row of columns from the ground floor to the roof plane, preventing buckling due to their slender proportions. a conic atrium is maintained within the center of the building's footprint spanning the entire height of the tower.

Last edited:

fishbones

Reaction score

OMOTE 3D is service and art installation that creates a likeness of an individual as a 3D figurine.
There are 3 different sizes available, and it requires a reservation in advance to order.
Using a 3D and image detection device, they are able to pick up the surface of the individual's clothing, skin, hair, etc.
Click through here for more information/photographs.

JuyLe

Reaction score
I've seen one of her installation at Arken in Copenhagen. Was quite impressive.
My picture
7ec91d806f54b43ecdd8b4671604da49.jpg

fishbones

Reaction score
Last edited:

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Late pass but I think this is pretty cool : one saxophone, one take, about 20 mics​

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Water is released from the Xiaolangdi dam to clear up the sediment-laden Yellow River and to prevent localized flooding

Last edited:

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Oldest Living Things in the World
Photos by Rachel Sussman

Welwitschia mirabilis (1,500 - 3,000 years old)

"I've heard everything between 1500 to 3000 years as an age estimate for the largest welwitschias," says Sussman about these strange plants. She photographed this example – probably around 2000 years old – in the Naukluft desert in Namibia.

"The welwitschias are strange and unique" she says. "Surprisingly enough, they're part of the conifer family and live only in the very specific climate along the coast of Namibia and Angola where coastal fog and desert meet."

To capture moisture from sea fog, the welwitschia, also known as tree tumbo, has evolved special leaves. These leaves become tattered and frayed with time – earning the plant the description of being "octopus-like". In addition, it has long tap roots that sip water deep underground and anchor the plant as it is buffeted by desert winds.

Its unusual appearance caused Friedrich Welwitsch, the botanist who discovered it for science in 1859, to "do nothing but kneel down and gaze at it, half in fear lest a touch should prove it a figment of the imagination".​

Mojave yucca (12,000 years old)

This may look like a clump of many different plants – but each "ring" is actually a single individual. This is the Mojave yucca (Yucca schidigera), a plant that clones itself by sending out underground rhizomes that sprout into genetically identical stalks.

Each ring, which can be as large as 6 metres across, forms as old stalks in the centre age and die. This particular specimen is probably over 12,000 years old, estimates Sussman. Whilst most rings of Mojave yucca contain around five stalks, older plants can have 10 or more.

Also known as the Spanish dagger, the Mojave yucca is found only in the Mojave desert in the south-western US. It grows at the leisurely rate of just 1 centimetre per year.​

Llareta (3,000 years old)

This llareta plant, parts of which are over 3000 years old, calls Chile's Atacama desert home. Llaretas can be found throughout the Andes in Peru, Bolivia, Chile and Argentina.

A relative of parsley, its moss-like appearance belies thousands of flowering buds on long stems which are so densely packed together they can take the weight of a human.

"When I saw the llareta for the first time I immediately recognised it from photos I had seen," says Sussman. "Many of them dotted the hillside, some more strangely formed than others, sort of like mutated topiary on steroids."

Because the llareta is dry and dense, it burns well, like peat. "Its function as fuel is endangering its survival, as even park rangers charged with protecting it have been known to burn it to keep warm on cold nights."​

Bristlecone pine (4,500 years old)

Some of the bristlecone pines found in the White mountains of California are over 4500 years old. A specimen known as The Old Man, is 4676 years.

Bristlecone pines receive very little water and food throughout the year: average annual rainfall in the White mountains is less than 30 centimetres, and the trees stand on dolomite, a form of limestone that contains few nutrients.

To survive on this ascetic diet, Pinus longaeva invests very little energy in growth. As a result, they're quite small despite their immense age – the tallest bristlecone is just 18 metres in height – and the trees' girth increases by just 0.25 millimetres a year.

"It shuts down all its non-essential processes," says Sussman. "This looks half dead most of the time, perhaps with just one branch that appears to be alive."​

The Senator - Bald cypress (3,500 years old) [RIP 2012]

Sentinel tree (2,100 years old)

Sagole baoban (2,000 years old)

Quaking aspen (80,000 years old)

Spruce Gran Picea (9,550 years old)

wurm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My grandmother lived in Rockport, TX and there's a 1000 year old tree at Goose Island State Park nearby. Not as old as the plants you posted, but still pretty cool to see in person. This is literally right on the Gulf coast, so it's survived countless hurricanes. It's massive. They have metal rods supporting some of its limbs.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads