1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

[SOON , A TITLE HERE ]

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by sipang, Dec 8, 2011.

1. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Well-Known Member

Just exposed bedrock (well it's painted but I'm assuming that's not what you meant with artificial design)

1 person likes this.
  2. g transistor

g transistor Well-Known Member

A Brief History of Fashion and the Beginnings of the National Audubon Society

In the late 19th century (around 1870s), large quantities of birds were being killed for their plumage to decorate women's hats. By 1886, birds were being killed at around a rate of 5 million per year for the millinery industry, and among the most popular of the feathers were the feathers of wading birds. Found abundantly in Florida, they were hunted and driven further south (the Everglades) and by the 1880s, no large populations of birds were found near any of Florida's major cities.

[​IMG]
    "The Cruelties of Fashion"

[​IMG]
    "Look ma, I got me a bird"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Everglades, a relatively inhospitable place and generally A Bad Idea to build things in due to its proclivity of having cycles of great flooding and then dry seasons, are a prime nesting area for many of these wading birds. Tons and tons of rookeries are found here due to abundance of food and prime nesting sites so many, many species of wading birds go there in vast numbers. There are stories of people who would just go out with a shotgun, throw some rocks and shoot wildly in the air and they would easily get quite a few birds, but I can't verify if this actually happened. Anyways, when wading birds get ready for courting and breeding season, the males have absolutely beautiful plumage called mating plumage. These are the prized feathers, long, fine, vibrant, and absolutely gorgeous. Now, I'm not actually sure how many of these birds it takes to make a gnarly hat, but it's probably quite a few.

[​IMG]

Snow Egret, Egretta thula, in breeding plumage

[​IMG]

Great Egret, Ardea alba, in breeding plumage

[​IMG]

Great Blue Heron, Ardea herodias, one of my personal favorites. Majestic as fuck, they're huuuge​

Anyways, the National Audubon Society began when the editor of Field and Stream became the leader of a movement to end the slaughter of all these birds for hats. "Membership was open to everyone refusing to wear bird feathers as ornaments and/or willing to prevent the killing of wild birds not used for food and the destruction of their eggs." In 1901, the Audubon Society successfully petitioned for the state to pass laws protecting Florida wildlife, especially the wading birds. Of course, the state wasn't in any position to enforce it, so the Audubon Society actually hired two people to be wardens of the area: two men by the name of Guy Bradley and Columbus McLeod.

Guy Bradley, who was assigned as game warden of the Everglades, was shot and killed in 1905 after confronting a man and his two sons for illegally hunting the egrets. One of the sons had already been arrested for poaching, and the father told Bradley, "You ever arrest one of my boys again, I'll kill you." Guy's body was found approximately 10 miles from the crime scene, having drifted so far after he bled to death.

Columbus McLeod disappeared and was presumed murdered in 1908.

[​IMG]

Guy Bradley, 1870 - 1905​

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
    8 people like this.
  3. KingJulien

KingJulien Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  4. el Bert

el Bert Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Something about this picture just draws me in.

4 people like this.
  5. colabear

colabear Well-Known Member

that looks Dahli-esque King Julien

6. 1969

1969 Well-Known Member

I've spent many long days with Charlie at his home/studio talking about his life (I'm not the interviewer here).

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Painting
    [​IMG]

Sculpture
    [​IMG]

This is the home he built from storage containers and pallets.
    [​IMG]

Some bio stuff
    http://www.marciaweberartobjects.com/clucas.html

1 person likes this.
  7. sipang

sipang Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    BAAAAAAAAAACK

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
    3 people like this.
  8. zapatiste

zapatiste Well-Known Member

persevering in trans-dimensional subconsciousness
    Thank goodness, I've had so much on my mind lately.

If someone is born blind, and you tell that person about a color, say, red, what does he think of????

How can you watch a photon, without absorbing it ; can't just hit it with other photons to image it. I really wanna see one the way we can image atoms, this makes me anxious :-(

9. sipang

sipang Well-Known Member

Pretty sure photons are red.

10. MS007

MS007 Well-Known Member

photons don't carry color, cmon guys.

Zap, you ever realized that for blinds speed of sound = speed of light?

They can timetravel.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
    2 people like this.
  11. slstr

slstr Well-Known Member

The rest of the videos on his channel are really interesting too.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
    2 people like this.
  12. zapatiste

that's pretty interesting to hear, color is illusory in any case -- just what the brain processes as it's exposed to photons of different wavelengths.

however "false" color may be, i thought this should fit in nicely given how beautiful it is. sorry for re-post but it may be deserving to revisit this colorful imagery!

stunning cinematography, the landscape shots are breathtaking and the dizzying heights leave you with a sense of anxiety. a powerful feudal lord divides his empire among his heirs, madness ensues...

Akira Kurosawa's Ran [1985]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8 people like this.
  13. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Well-Known Member

Three Laws of Qualia
    by V.S. Ramachandran and William Hirstein

http://www.ignaciodarnaude.com/espiritualismo/Biological functions of consciousness,Qualia.pdf

"...We also suggest that the apparent epistemic barrier to knowing what qualia another person is
    experiencing can be overcome simply by using a ‘bridge’ of neurons..."

1 person likes this.
  14. zapatiste

i was meaning to read this but forgot about it , thanks for the reminder !

but what i just skimmed over doesn't get to the root of the question i brought up above, the superscientist in the thought experiment still uses neural processing of photons of particular frequencies, he just uses someone else's V4 area of the brain. it still remains just some wavelength that is interpreted by an intermediary !

15. pickpackpockpuck

not sure what you mean. you want a method of experiencing something without neural processing? or maybe I'm not understanding what the intermediary is that you're talking about.

The paper starts from this premise: "In part, our argument is that the self is indeed something that arises from brain activity of a certain kind and in certain brain areas, and that this activity is also closely tied to functions related to qualia." If you're talking about the homunculus in the Cartesian Theatre idea, they do deal with that (Ramachandran is always very aware of this pitfall in everything I've read of his). That's basically the point of the quote: there's no separate "self" inside your head that has to interpret the photons as red. (Because then that "self" in your head would need it's own mini brain to do the interpreting, and so on in infinite regress until your head is a never-ending matryoshka doll.) The "self" basically emerges from a collection of neural processes, including the process that "experiences" red.

If what you're really after is just knowing what a blind person thinks of as "red," then that's easy. Just ask a blind person!

16. zapatiste

this is getting way too nerdy but anyway

no there were 2 issues :

1) imaging a photon, the same way one can image atoms, here using scanning electron microscopy. this uses a narrow beam of electrons with high energies (on order of 10 keV) that results in scattering blahblahblah
    [​IMG]

basically you can image using anything, electrons, light, toasters, just need to reconstruct an image based on how the beam of whatever you're firing is scattered which tells you about interactions with your sample.

i was trying to think of how you can image a photon. obviously when we see light we're absorbing it and creating an electric potential, CNS, etc etc that's not important.
    how can you image a photon without destroying it ? i have no idea but the best i can do is imagine a dot:

. <-- a photon :)

2) the color of light, which is nothing more than a consequence of our evolutionary adaptation to being able to different between, say, lions and baboons vs trees and berries in the african savanah back in the day. (ok ok eyes, vision, light detection, came much before but it's a more functional analogy, and also one that can help explain why quantum physics isn't as intuitive as classical, because if we were treating the lion as being in a superposition of states one of which is digesting us, that wouldn't do too well for escaping and proliferating!). so we see electromagnetic radiation, or a small fraction of the spectrum, as certain colors because of a wiring in the brain to process it as such. and so the blind superscientist uses the brain of another person to experience colors despite never having done so on his own before. but this is still using a brain, never mind whose. so what is a color in the reality that exists outside our perception through the brain ? no clue. probably just bunch of vibrational energy .... ???

edit: Schrödinger posited, "The sensation of color cannot be accounted for by the physicist's objective picture of light-waves. Could the physiologist account for it, if he had fuller knowledge than he has of the processes in the retina and the nervous processes set up by them in the optical nerve bundles and in the brain? I do not think so."

17. pickpackpockpuck

edit: after rereading 1) still no idea because i don't know squat about the physics involved, 2) ramachandran's neuron bridge does solve the problem, but yes, you do need a brain. i don't think that's an issue since that's specifically what we're talking about: how the brain perceives a color. can't have a brain perceiving without a brain to perceive...

18. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Well-Known Member

hey shah, you know where I can download "ran" with subtitles? found it on youtube but with the youtube subs and they obviously weren´t downloaded with the movie..

19. sipang

sipang Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

There's a great film-essay by Chris Marker on the filming of Ran / Akira Kurosawa

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viLYkhRfpMg[/VIDEO]

2 people like this.
  20. slstr

slstr Well-Known Member

Shah, a photon is a massless particle, so it would be nigh on impossible to keep it still enough to ever image it in the way you're thinking. I'm not an expert by any means, but as far as I know it's also a force-carrying particle (gauge boson), not a matter particle, meaning it has no size or physical presence whatsoever, it's only a force.