• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

[SOON , A TITLE HERE ]

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
 this post, it's empty when I view it, and yet expresses more to me than you could imagine ! edit: now you fixed it thereby making me look like an idiot :confused: edit2: thanks for second poast :D

Last edited:

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread is apparently dangerous for me. I'm very tempted to post all the miscellany I've ever found interesting, like a digital ephemera cabinet. Maybe I need a blog. Here are a couple more and then I'll stop (for now). Love the textures in these (both from Stalker)

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]​

Matohu is a label known for taking a spin on traditional Japanese themes and concepts by reinterpreting them into modern-day fashion creations. Using fabric techniques developed by wealthy Japanese merchants in the Momoyama period --a fleeting era that existed from 1568 to 1603 ("It was the most attractive age to us in Japanese History. It was a brief span of free thought, chaotic fashion, foreign influences and trade, which gave birth to an elegant, minimalist style")-- each collection takes its cue from a specific historical era or from antique objects (old painted ceramics, dyed paper,...).

The F/w 2009 collection draws its inspiration from Kabukimono

Kabukimono were groups of flamboyant rogues mainly comprised of increasingly bored samurai from the Keichō era (1596 to 1615). Kabukimono is often translated into English as ‘strange things’ or ‘the crazy ones’, believed to be derived from kabuku meaning ‘to slant’ or ‘to deviate’. Most were young men on the fringes of the samurai class. Many were younger sons who were not in line to inherit, while others were low-ranking samurai, servants, or ronin. As a sort of proto-punk movement, the Kabukimono refused to behave by society’s rules. They defected from their masters and chose to dress and act with passion and reckless abandon.

They were noted for wearing loud, gaudy kimono and otherwise violating fashion norms (some wore women’s kimono), engaging in wild behavior, including loud conversation, and singing, dancing, and brawling in the streets. Some of their stylistic features included hair grown long but not held up in a topknot, daring hairstyles, colorful and patterned garments combined with elements of European clothing, decorated and unusually large swords.

Their outlandish and excessive attitude was reflected in their outlook on life, considering their existence to have reached its apex by the age of 25 (an etching on a sword from this period, states "have lived too long at 25 ").

In 1615, the shogunate explicitly banned a number of behaviors and modes of dress in an effort to crack down on the Kabukimono who were perceived as disruptive. In addition to their loud activities on the streets, they threatenened societal norms by often demonstrating stronger loyalty to one another than to their actual samurai masters or families. The kabukimono phenomenon likely died out around the end of the 17th century. A roundup of two hundred members of a gang known as the “Greater and Lesser Gods,” and the execution of eleven of its leaders in 1686 is described as being the last major action against the movement.

BreezyBirch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how do you guys feel about temporary architecture/art? ie grand, beautiful stuff that is to be cathartically destroyed - or torn down only to be experienced for a short time

here's some stuff near and dear to my heart:

trojan horse (it was pretty huge...) - from burning man 2011

this thing was pulled by hundred of "slaves" driven by "spartans" out into the middle of the playa....then at night it was set ablaze in an awesome conflagaration. it was boiling hot from like hundreds of feet away

or this, the temple is different every year - this year it's said to have been the highest, foundationless plywood construction in the world...
i've seen some pretty cool stuff/places over the years. the temples at bman and the golden temple are the two most humbling and spiritual places i have ever experienced.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]
this thing took weeks to build...there's thousands of people watching this, yet everyone is silent.

this year the temple wasnt just a beautiful place for meditating, remembering, contemplating; it was also an instrument
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]
the center of it was full of bells - so much synesthaesia
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

this is "tv" - one guy and others in our camp were responsible for the creation of this giant TV of TVs with hours of random media ranging from a police instruction video on handling an emergency birth in the backseat of a car (no censoring), to clips of fresh prince and WWE. fuckin amazing
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]
im at 0:33 !

my camera kinda sucks in the dark, but we sometimes dress like this and go out in the "real world" and scare all the normal people

vids and pics mine cept the windharp and burning temple one

cheers

ps
black rock city from satellite

Last edited:

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of people say the temp art stuff is gimmicky, but I don't know, I really like it. It is basically the same concept as tibetan mandalas, which was amazing to experience them do live

**Turn down your sound

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

They have coloured sand in those sticks/tubes, and by rubbing it with another stick, they're able to control the amount of sand that comes out. It's incredibly painstaking work.

After it's completed, the sand is sand is brushed together and spread everywhere...impermanence

Last edited:

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score

anyone would be this happy with a djellaba

whether you're a handsome young bearded warrior

or a wise sage

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd love to go to Burning man, had this friend in HS who went one year and told me all about it when he got back, sounded crazy at the time. Haven't watched the vids yet.

Also, yall need to center your posts, it's classy .

BreezyBirch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it's the greatest time of all time, hands down. let me know if you ever decide to go. this year we are thinking of doing an artcar in collab w/ another camp

Ivwri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This could quickly turn into an art and animation dump for me...

Okay, so let me start by offering some great animation -

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

then a comic strip I worked on with a friend of mine (awesome art is his, story, concept etc. including horrible dialogue is mine) -

and finally, a strip from a comic based in Nigeria called Light, Sweet Crude -

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score

Van Beirendonck ~ out-Vibskoving Henry ?

hoozah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
latex.php

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I once had a French professor who assured me that Baudelaire's Fleurs du Mal was about nothing more than finding beauty in even the ugliest of things.

TSE: “So far as we are human, what we do must be either evil or good; so far as we do evil or good, we are human: and it is better, in a paradoxical way, to do evil than to do nothing: at least we exist”

CB: "Ces plaisanteries nerveuses ne sont pas sans péril, et on peut souvent les payer cher. Mais qu’importe l’éternité de la damnation à qui a trouvé dans une seconde l’infini de la jouissance?"

Rejoinder: “The expected guest./ He, the young man carbuncular, arrives,/…The time is now propitious, as he guesses,/ The meal is ended, she is bored and tired,/ Endeavours to engage her in caresses/ Which still are unreproved, if undesired./ Flushed and decided, he assaults at once;/ Exploring hands encounter no defence; His vanity requires no response,/ And makes a welcome of indifference/…She turns and looks a moment in the glass,/ Hardly aware of her departed lover;/ Her brain allows one half-formed thought to pass:/ ‘Well now that’s done: and I’m glad it’s over.’/ When lovely woman stoops to folly and/ Paces about her room again, alone,/ She smoothes her hair with automatic hand”

HPL: "I said to myself, with all the ardor of a sculptor, that this man was a faun's statue out of antique Hellas, dug from a temple's ruins and brought somehow to life in our stifling age only to feel the chill and pressure of devastating years. And when he opened his immense, sunken, and wildly luminous black eyes I knew he would be thenceforth my only friend- the only friend of one who had never possessed a friend before- for I saw that such eyes must have looked fully upon the grandeur and the terror of realms beyond normal consciousness and reality; realms which I had cherished in fancy, but vainly sought. So as I drove the crowd away I told him he must come home with me and be my teacher and leader in unfathomed mysteries, and he assented without speaking a word. Afterward I found that his voice was music- the music of deep viols and of crystalline spheres. We talked often in the night, and in the day, when I chiseled busts of him and carved miniature heads in ivory to immortalize his different expressions."

BJSBQ.jpg

Detritus at the ECB: Rat's Alley, where the dead men lost their bones

***Addendum: "He moaned to himself like some baffled, prowling beast. He wanted to sin with another of his kind, to force another being to sin with him and to exult with her in sin. He felt some dark presence moving irresistibly upon him from the darkness, a presence subtle and murmurous as a flood filling him wholly with itself."

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads