• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

somet denim..

c00kz

Reaction score
Soak- the color of the water after your soak should be enough to convince you the right choice was made.

Mistral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cookz, please explain...

Why would the starch residue left in the water after soak convince anyone of a right choice been made?

c00kz

Reaction score
Um, depending on how much water you use (I used a washing machine), the water turns into a disgusting, incredibly dense olive/brown. It stains the pocket bags and the "SOMET" tag inside the waistband. I don't really mind about the staining but I would not like to have been letting that rub up against my body, clothes, furniture, etc.

Mistral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I soaked for an hour in a bathtub. The water was somewhat yellow from the starch. Didn't got my tag and pockets ruined by the way. Why you decided to put them in the washing machine?

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Washing machine is just dandy, actually. I've done my skulls, KMW and Momotaro that way. With unsanforized, I prefer a hot soak first though. I like watching the experience.

The agitation provided by the washer really gets all the gunk, indigo residue and starch out.

Initially, back in the day, I thought starch was all part of the process of raw. Now I realize it does nothing and probably causes more damage.

Excluding APC - (**** them and their 'extreme' sea wash bullshite), everyone from BiG and SE recommend initial washing and even machine drying.

Most of the MiJ raw jeans I've ever owned say "machine wash, tumble dry" on the tag. In fact, most MiJ jeans offered to the rest of the world are sold as one-wash. Raw seems to be a western thing. Ask Gordon.

blam89

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mlyngard
...everyone from BiG and SE recommend initial washing and even machine drying.

i thought machine drying was a nono for jeans? don't they shrink even more like that?

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blam89
i thought machine drying was a nono for jeans? don't they shrink even more like that?

No it's not a no-no. Read what I just wrote. Seriously, half of what you read about treating raw denim are myths or complete bullshit. Treat them like tough workwear jeans and they'll repay you. Kiya once gave an explanation of what 'one-wash' generally means with the MiJ companies he deals with. Your home machine won't come close.

Jeans will only shrink so much. Wouldn't you want to get all of that out of the way than have suprises later after you've spent months breaking them in?

Generally, machine drying isn't something you want to do very often unless you want to get the max shrink out of the pants. Otherwise, air-dry is more gentle.

blam89

Reaction score
No it's not a no-no. Read what I just wrote. Seriously, half of what you read about treating raw denim are myths or complete bullshit. Treat them like tough workwear jeans and they'll repay you. Kiya once gave an explanation of what 'one-wash' generally means with the MiJ companies he deals with. Your home machine won't come close.

Jeans will only shrink so much. Wouldn't you want to get all of that out of the way than have suprises later after you've spent months breaking them in?

Generally, machine drying isn't something you want to do very often unless you want to get the max shrink out of the pants. Otherwise, air-dry is more gentle.

i agree with trying to get all the shrinkage out. i'm more concerned with how the fit will change. if the waist and length shrink, so will the width of the whole pair of jeans (i.e. the hem and knee measurements etc will also be reduced), meaning the jeans will fit differently.

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blam89
i agree with trying to get all the shrinkage out. i'm more concerned with how the fit will change. if the waist and length shrink, so will the width of the whole pair of jeans (i.e. the hem and knee measurements etc will also be reduced), meaning the jeans will fit differently.

It's true, all dimensions get smaller.

Best to discover a pair is too small for you from the start. It's unwise to wear a pair of jeans unwashed (dry) just to preserve a fit. If it's too small or fitted, you should find out right away.

This is where sizing unsanforized (stf) denim gets tricky. It's best left for later, when you've already determined your ideal fit dimensions.

That said, Somet won't change much from their initial fit, but you lose a bit of dimension all over.

blam89

Reaction score
It's true, all dimensions get smaller.

Best to discover a pair is too small for you from the start. It's unwise to wear a pair of jeans unwashed (dry) just to preserve a fit. If it's too small or fitted, you should find out right away.

This is where sizing unsanforized (stf) denim gets tricky. It's best left for later, when you've already determined your ideal fit dimensions.

That said, Somet won't change much from their initial fit, but you lose a bit of dimension all over.

yeah I've always air-dryed my jeans simply because I want to preserve the fit as much as possible. the somet 003 in size 30 have the exact dimensions I'm looking for, so while I'm comfortable washing them, I just wasn't too sure about machine drying them. In my experience, machine drying tends to shrink jeans quite a bit (my APCs fit a lot slimmer post machine dryer), which makes sense (at least to me) since denim is basically cotton and cotton shrinks a lot when exposed to low and then high temps quickly.

Mistral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My 008's at almost two months:

front_734202.jpg

back_892979.jpg

side.jpg

First two pics are actual color. Last pic has to much light due to flash. But you can see the fades coming along really nice because of the strong light.

One soak, zero washes by the way.

RedDC5R

Reaction score
Mistral: how long did you soak for?

Did you somehow cover up the white leather patch so the dye didn't ruin it? Thanks.

Mistral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedDC5R
Mistral: how long did you soak for?

Did you somehow cover up the white leather patch so the dye didn't ruin it? Thanks.

I soaked it for about an hour... But only starch came out, lost zero indigo so the patch wasn't affected at all.

Mistral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My 003's have arrived, oh yeah!

Will take pictures of denim and fit, you'll see those later =)

Mistral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bump...

Btw, where do all the fitpics stay? Some peeps copped a pair didn't they? Be it 008 or 003. I'm curious!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads