1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Solito Angst

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Sep 15, 2010.

1. George

George Well-Known Member

Sucks. Sorry, man. I don't understand why it's so difficult for continental tailors to keep a hard travel schedule. I mean, it seems like it's a money making proposition.
    It's logistically difficult for them, hauling half finished suits around, carrying swatches, dealing with the requirements of new and existing customers, customs, fittings etc. it's hard work and a lot, at first, underestimate this difficullty. There are also cost & cashflow issues as well which they also may underestimate. As I said before, for something as costly and as personnal as bespoke clothing I personally don't beleive the hassle/risk is worth it.

2. Threadhead

Threadhead Well-Known Member

See, this is why you should order from a local tailor like David Reeves.

With every garment, you get an order of chicken tikka masala.[​IMG]

3. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Cant help but shake the Darren-ish fiasco feeling with this one.
    That is too harsh. I believe he is an honest man and he has delivered clothes that fit. That puts him light years ahead of Beaman. We will all get our stuff, of that I have no doubt, I just wish he made the trip more often and more reliably.

4. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

yes, I am his attorney.

I swear I will pay my bill come bonus time, you can call off the collection agency.

5. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Well-Known Member

isn't it brown enough to being with?

Yeah it is bad when you loose 50% deposit on something, its worse when you have 50% deposit plus your own cloth on the line [​IMG]

Just checked Orbitz: direct r/t flight to Naples from JFK is $703.

Given the current direction of this thread, may I take this opportunity to make a PSA?

Recently I see more and more Americans at Japanese restaurants eating tempura with their hands. Please don't be one of them.

Also, those hot, flat white things sent to the table with Peking Duck are not hot towels. Please do not wipe your face with them.

- B

6. TRINI

TRINI Well-Known Member

Given the current direction of this thread, may I take this opportunity to make a PSA?

Recently I see more and more Americans at Japanese restaurants eating tempura with their hands. Please don't be one of them.

What is it about eating with hands these days--in movies, on the Food Network ... everywhere. it's as though stopping to pick up a knife and fork (or chopsticks) betrays a lack of sufficient gusto.

Umm..isn't sushi traditionally a finger food and eaten by hand?

7. IndianBoyz

IndianBoyz Well-Known Member

8. aj_del

aj_del Well-Known Member

- B

What were you doing checking the economy class fares ?

9. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

Yeah it is bad when you loose 50% deposit on something, its worse when you have 50% deposit plus your own cloth on the line [​IMG]
    Oh jeezus, I didn't realize they had your money already. That's terrible. Did he say he's simply not coming back ever, or that he just hasn't planned his next trip? If they don't come back within a reasonable time period, I think it would fair to ask for your deposit back.
    It's logistically difficult for them, hauling half finished suits around, carrying swatches, dealing with the requirements of new and existing customers, customs, fittings etc. it's hard work and a lot, at first, underestimate this difficullty. There are also cost & cashflow issues as well which they also may underestimate. As I said before, for something as costly and as personnal as bespoke clothing I personally don't beleive the hassle/risk is worth it.
    I understand all that. But English tailors seem able to handle the back-and-forth across the Atlantic much better. Consider that Solito never committed himself to regular visits, whereas the English typically publish seasonal itineraries. Perhaps Solito's cashflows would both increase and become less volatile if they were more consistent. By being more predictable they'd get more clients and by visiting on a regular schedule they'd be able to collect on finished products more regularly as well.
    Also, those hot, flat white things sent to the table with Peking Duck are not hot towels. Please do not wipe your face with them.
    You know so little of our ways.

10. alliswell

alliswell Well-Known Member

That is too harsh. I believe he is an honest man and he has delivered clothes that fit. That puts him light years ahead of Beaman. We will all get our stuff, of that I have no doubt, I just wish he made the trip more often and more reliably.

This is why you'll enjoy using NSM - they're always here, reminding you of what you thought was a good commission four weeks ago.

11. voxsartoria

What were you doing checking the economy class fares ?

tutee is slim.

- B

12. A Y

A Y Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

13. voxsartoria

[​IMG]

- B

14. Despos

Despos Well-Known Member

- B

tutee is slim.

- B

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=199358

15. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

One of my debate antagonists, and debate partner at one event, in college is the guy who might very well unexpectedly saunter into the Senate from the great state of Delaware. We were having lobster once in some place in NYC back then, and they presented a live lobster to the table. It was greenish brown, of course. When it came back, he noted that this was not our lobster because this one was red.

Tea Party people: feel free to use this story in your attack ads.

- B

I take it the restaurant had no Michelin stars, otherwise you would have named it? What were you doing eating in a place like that?

16. mafoofan

I take it the restaurant had no Michelin stars, otherwise you would have named it? What were you doing eating in a place like that?

Well, he's not proud of it. Didn't you read they f*cked up the lobster?

17. aj_del

aj_del Well-Known Member

tutee is slim.

- B

So are you. I guess your problem of bespoke Italian summer suits/ jackets is solved ...

18. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I may go to Naples in Nov. Not sure yet. If so I am going to ship a bunch of cloth on ahead and ask Luigi to cut it all.

What are the home equity loan rates these days?

19. mafoofan

Holy crap. Take me with you. At least bring me back a new Tubo.

20. Nescio

Nescio Well-Known Member

I shipped cloth to Solito and it was returned 2 months later "non reclamato".
    Also my 10 day alteration of a jacket, has lasted 6 months now and still counting.

My one remaining jacket from him is wonderful, though.
    I would order another, if he returns to NYC soon.