1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Sole Welting

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Quarantanove, Apr 19, 2012.

1. DWFII

DWFII Well-Known Member

Why is that...may I ask?

Yohei Fukuda expressed much the same sentiment, once you get past the translation, when he said "...the machines were designed to do hand works. So the limit of hand works is the same as the limit of our thoughts and creations."

It seems to be a common...aspiration, at least...among most of the bespoke makers I've ever run across.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  2. ntempleman

ntempleman Well-Known Member

Because it's a video of a younger, plumper, me.

3. DWFII

DWFII Well-Known Member

Ah! Thank you for clarifying that.

I'll have to go back and look for you in the video...I was focused on Master Lobb.

I will say, again, how much I admired him...

Wasn't it Oscar Wilde who said "everything popular is wrong"?

Whether you agree with him or not...whether it's even objectively true...he was going against popular opinion to make such a statement. It took courage...and passion....and a confidence borne of experience and deep, deep understanding--probably all of a piece.

--

4. ntempleman

You'll struggle to miss me, I'm the one doing the main talk and tour for the presenter. My name appears in subtitles as my bit starts.

5. DWFII

DWFII Well-Known Member

Yes, I just got done watching it again...I should watch it often--lots of little gems of wisdom. Like where john Lobb says you can't learn this from books you have to sit down with a shoemaker and learn it by doing (or something close to that...I don't have a transcript).

As for "younger" ...as Lobb said, traditional shoemaking won't survive without we teach young people the Traditional techniques (paraphrasing again). Kudos to you for being open to learning.

"Plumper"? not by US standards. Wait til you get my age (69 in about a month) and it's all gone to your belly.

So...dinna fash yerself, laddie.

6. Nick V.

Nick V. Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard Nick.
    Thank you for sharing.
    We can use some open-minded, civil people that just want to share their experience and knowledge here!!!

7. DWFII

DWFII Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree...we can always use more real, experienced-based, knowledge. There's so little of it in the kibitzing commons.

As for civility, civil is as civil does--people who don't do the work themselves don't have any right...legitimacy...to criticize those who do. It's damn sure not "open-minded" and it's almost the definition of un-civil.

--

8. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

Hear, hear!!!

9. thelonius

thelonius Well-Known Member

Damn ! Caught napping again ! Been drinking too much whisky this weekend! Mind you, it's only William Lawson's. All I can afford these days.

10. DWFII

DWFII Well-Known Member

Lawson's has good commercials. I think at one point, a year or two ago, I had links to all their Youtube clips.

I prefer single malt myself and strongly peated Islays, at that, but not everyone enjoys the bog water.

11. chogall

chogall Well-Known Member

I like drinking peated iodine too. And i like them young. Laphroaig double cask? Carol Ila? Bowmore?

12. DWFII

DWFII Well-Known Member

Mostly Lagavulin 16 and Highland Park 12 although I recently had a friend bring me a bottle of Bunnahabhain Cruach Mhona from Scotland. And I had a bottle of Ardbeg Airigh Nam Beist one of my customers gave me for my birthday a couple of years back that was one of my all time favourites.

I also had a bottle of Craggenmore 12 for Christmas a couple of years ago--actually pretty nice if you like a Speyside...as good as the Macallen 12, IMO, at half the price.

I ran across a forum some years ago and one of the guys posting there owns an old and storied Inn in Dumfries. He did a whole series of articles...[COLOR=FF0000]here[/COLOR]...on single malt, how to get into it, and what to look for/expect. The guy is really knowledgeable...once you get past the local patois (which can be charming in and of itself).

--

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  13. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

Lagavulin rules all. I've found Highland Park disappointing of late.

14. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Well-Known Member

My favourites are Ardbeg Uigeadail; Bowmore 17 year-old (only available from the distllery); and Hakushu 18. For everyday drinking, Laphroaig Quarter Cask or Macallan 12, depending on mood.

15. ntempleman

[​IMG]

It's a shoemakers top priority when they open a workshop, isn't it?

1 person likes this.
  16. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Well-Known Member

What's the priority, books or booze? - Booze has been the downfall of quite a few talented shoemakers!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S. Your colleague "the talented Mr W" has posted this as his ultimate goal recently on his instagram page:

"One must follow in the footsteps of successful British shoemakers and die as broke alcoholics with questionable social skills."

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  17. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Well-Known Member

Laga 16 for everyday! Bowmore 17 is quite accessible here; I love it but the missus says it made me smell like the remnants of a peat fire!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

18. DWFII

DWFII Well-Known Member

I've never tried any of the Japanese malts although I hear they are pretty good. It just goes against my grain--like drinking pumpkin flavoured ales or radlers. If it's not made in Scotland it's beside the point (not even legally Scotch).

Like your collection of books...I have copies of the most of them--the first six from the left, skip two, then the next three, skip, then Salaman. Wright's a hoot and well worth reading. I also have several of June Swanns books--good information there, too.

I also have a signed copy of Swaysland, both of Thornton's books, the complete eight vol. set of Golding, all four Bordoli, etc.. I don't tell you this to brag but simply because they are so hard to come by in the States--titles that you may be familiar with but almost no one outside of select circles over here has ever heard of. Many had to come across the pond and I went deeply into debt...by the standards of my income and the times...to buy these. But as wrong headed as it may sound, they definitely took priority over booze.

I have been looking, although with less energy in recent years, for copies of John F. Rees (The Art and Mystery of a Cordwainer, London, 1813) and James Devlin (The Guide to the Trade, The Shoemaker, London, 1839)--like looking for the holy grail...either of them.

--

19. ntempleman

Fortunately I don't drink great deal - it's more of a slowly expanding, equally slowly depleting, collection. Some of that whisky must be older than the Bordoli collection underneath by now.

I remember that Mr.W quote from a few months back, we've each been exchanging the finer points of our respective shoes'n'booze collections for a while now.

20. ntempleman

That Hibiki is a blend, and quite reasonable too. I prefer Japanese blends to their malts for some reason, but theres good stuff coming from there.

1 person likes this.