1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Soccer • Football • Voetbal • Futbol • Calcio 2011/2012

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Brian SD, Jun 21, 2011.

1. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Well-Known Member

Holy Canoli, this U17 third place game is fantastic. As an U16 I wasn't too far off from National Team eyes, and I can imagine the thrill for these kids playing in front of 100,000 people now that the stadium is full in anticipation of the final. Great stuff, on ESPNU here in the US.

2. the shah

the shah Well-Known Member

from 1-3 to 4-3 this is madness

3. NewYorkIslander

3rd place games are always entertaining.

4. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Well-Known Member

That US - Brazil game was insane. What a finish.

For some reason I was compelled to tune into a streaming broadcast even though I haven't watched a single WWC match this year.

This was the wildest shit I have ever seen, male or female. Maybe the Korea matches in 02 were more energetic with the huge crowds but this was off the chain...

5. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

As an U16 I wasn't too far off from National Team eyes, and I can imagine the thrill for these kids playing in front of 100,000 people now that the stadium is full in anticipation of the final. Great stuff, on ESPNU here in the US.

[​IMG]

6. NewYorkIslander

[​IMG]
    You're an asshole aren't you? I was captain and leading scorer for EDP for the state of New Jersey u-15, and then as a u-16 leading scorer for NYC Select. Scored in the Dallas Cup, the USA Cup playing against several top youth clubs from Europe. QPR, AC Milan, PSG, and Ajax academy squads. But what do I know?

7. StephenHero

You're an asshole aren't you? I was captain and leading scorer for EDP for the state of New Jersey u-15, and then as a u-16 leading scorer for NYC Select. Scored in the Dallas Cup, the USA Cup playing against several top youth clubs from Europe. QPR, AC Milan, PSG, and Ajax academy squads. But what do I know?
    [​IMG] You could have made it all the way if you didn't get injured though, right?

8. El Argentino

El Argentino Well-Known Member

I knew I liked you.

9. venessian

venessian Well-Known Member

I knew I liked you.
    +1. The thread-shitting is really annoying. Very nice win for Mexico today. What a scene at Azteca!

10. El Argentino

Very nice win for Mexico today. What a scene at Azteca!

It was a decent game to watch, but at around 42 minutes through the first half, you could just see that the altitude had gotten to Uruguay's midfield. That typical fire and bite disappeared, and they were walking around for the first time all tournament.

The MX captain, Bresino or whatever (#4), seems like a class-act. Hope he goes big.

Batista's getting there... finally... but still [​IMG]

11. tullytra

tullytra Well-Known Member

The women were so impressive today in how the played down a woman. When Julie Foudy, I believe, and Ian Darke were talking about the U.S. playing for penalties as soon as Buehler was sent off I thought they were crazy. I mean, 50 minutes playing a woman down while keeping level sounded a bit unrealistic. It was amazing how they were the aggressor from that point on. It was gratifying to see them overcome obvious misgivings by the refs. I honestly got chills twice while watching: once when Hope Solo [​IMG] saved the regulation penalty kick and then Wambach's goal of course. Never thought I'd get chills from a women's soccer match.

12. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

You could have made it all the way if you didn't get injured though, right?

Lol, I gotta admit I laughed reading this.

The women were so impressive today in how the played down a woman. When Julie Foudy, I believe, and Ian Darke were talking about the U.S. playing for penalties as soon as Buehler was sent off I thought they were crazy. I mean, 50 minutes playing a woman down while keeping level sounded a bit unrealistic. It was amazing how they were the aggressor from that point on. It was gratifying to see them overcome obvious misgivings by the refs. I honestly got chills twice while watching: once when Hope Solo [​IMG] saved the regulation penalty kick and then Wambach's goal of course. Never thought I'd get chills from a women's soccer match.

Same here. This was probably the best match I've watched male or female as well. I don't watch soccer like some that post in this thread though...mainly just watch international games.

13. venessian

It was a decent game to watch, but at around 42 minutes through the first half, you could just see that the altitude had gotten to Uruguay's midfield. That typical fire and bite disappeared, and they were walking around for the first time all tournament.

The MX captain, Bresino or whatever (#4), seems like a class-act. Hope he goes big.

Batista's getting there... finally... but still [​IMG]

True. Mexico was much snappier than Uruguay and deserved the win, esp. at home. Bresino was impressive; Casillas, that kid has some speed! The entire team looked very together.

El Arg, Batista must have read your ARG post!:
    Argentina coach Sergio Batista is changing his attacking players and tactics for Monday's decisive match in the Copa America against Costa Rica.

The adjustments will try to accommodate Barcelona star Lionel Messi, who has been largely ineffective in the first two group matches"”uninspiring draws against Bolivia and Colombia.

Batista is expected to move Messi into the role of attacking midfielder with Sergio Aguero and Angel Di Maria alongside. The lone striker is expected to be Gonzalo Higuain.

Just as you said.[​IMG]

14. El Argentino

El Arg, Batista must have read your ARG post!:

Just as you said.[​IMG]

PRECIOUS E-VINDICATION!

15. venessian

I just watched the replay on ESPN3. Incredible match. The cross from Rapinoe was perfect, Wambach perfect. Really amazing stuff, and really crappy refereeing.

16. NewYorkIslander

[​IMG]

You could have made it all the way if you didn't get injured though, right?

No, I could have if I worked harder.

17. StephenHero

No, I could have if I worked harder.

[​IMG]

18. El Argentino

19. venessian

Finally, finally...

Yes, but given the opponent and Hi[​IMG]g[​IMG]u[​IMG]a[​IMG]in, it should have been 6, 7, 8-0. Messi was absolutely fantastic, though, and Di Maria's goal very nice.

20. embowafa

embowafa Well-Known Member

Yes, but given the opponent and Hi[​IMG]g[​IMG]u[​IMG]a[​IMG]in, it should have been 6, 7, 8-0.

Yes. The FAIL was strong with him last night.

Word. In addition to being the most deadly scorer on Earth, he could give his boys, Xavi and Iniesta, a run for their money in the most deadly distributor on Earth category.