1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Soccer • Football • Voetbal • Futbol • Calcio 2011/2012

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Brian SD, Jun 21, 2011.

1. El Argentino

El Argentino Well-Known Member

Side note:

FIFA12 is bloody glorious.

Carry on.

2. grizzlybear

grizzlybear Well-Known Member

3. Reynard369

Reynard369 Well-Known Member

PS3 or XBox?

4. venessian

venessian Well-Known Member

INTER! :slayer:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  5. DLester

DLester Well-Known Member

This is ridiculous. It astounds me:

"Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini revealed striker Carlos Tevez refused to take the field as a substitute Tuesday during the club's 0-2 UEFA Champions League defeat to Bayern Munich.

The Italian boss said in his post-game interview the Argentine striker "let his [team] down" after staying on the bench -- and may never play for the Premier League club again.

"Tevez refused to come on to the [field]," Mancini told Sky Sports. "I can't accept this one player refusing to go on.""

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/...ty-vsbayern-munich-roberto-mancini-ucl-092711

6. venessian

^ Tevez is a grade-A a**hole. (Dzeko wasn't much better today.) Mark Hughes is a complete douche, but Graeme Souness rocks! :slayer: [VIDEO][/VIDEO] It's worth listening to the entire piece. That team looks like it's in trouble, and I wonder if Mancini can hold it together....

7. ANIKETOS

ANIKETOS Well-Known Member

However this looks,I think this is the begining of the end for Mancio. He isnt good at dealing with conflict or pressure and he is under both right now,especially if he doesnt get out of the group stage. Mancio had Mihajlovic deal with the players when he was at Inter and left with some bad relationships. He is also too emotional and showed that after Inter lost to Liverpool by resigning and then backing out. Unfortunately I think its his last season there unless he wins the league. City cant afford all this talent wasted and usually its the coach that is the easier sacrifice.

No excuse for both Tevez and Dzeko and I think the club should fine both a hefty sum to teach them a lesson. This however can be great for Inter as they really wanted him,and now they can probably get him for cheap. I just hope he doesnt continue this crappy attitude at Inter.

8. KitAkira

KitAkira Well-Known Member

Tevez got passed up for the national team in the next two matches as well

9. El Argentino

A few thoughts in regard to the Tevez antics:

In Argentina - I think this guy has effectively called time on his national career. With the wealth of attacking talent possessed by the ANT, ie. Aguero, Messi, Higuain, Di Maria, Lavezzi, etc, the national side will operate effectively with or without him. His trouble with the NT is directly influenced by his actions at his club.

@ ManCity - I can see a few different sides of this argument at once. Having worked overseas without my family (wife and child) I can admit how dehabilitating it can feel at times. IF that's the real reason for all of this business, I can't blame Tevez's motives having been there and experienced that. Especially when one has small children. Now, that being said, I can't support this guy at all despite his talent and what he's meant to the NT, City, and United while there. He is a phenomenal talent when out on the pitch, and no one can deny that he gives 110% while out there. Consequences for his whining and drama off the field are catching up with him, inasmuch as you now have a proficient Dzeko beginning to fire, Aguero lighting up the goal, and Balotelli (at least without any incident since the failed backheel in preseason). All these people brought in initially to support Tevez in his role as (former) captain and talisman have overshadowed "the man." That's going to be a blow to his ego. Having almost singlehandedly been responsible for Man City's rise in the BPL standings last year, I'd assume Tevez is feeling betrayed. Ok, sure.

But when you're on some $300,000 a freaking week, then you get over your fucking problems and do your job. This guy is making more money per week of playing a game than I'll likely make per year in a law career. Problems or not, I think City's upper levels need to just drop him - not send him off to another club, just drop him into the reserve team, and don't even let him show up on the field. If he gets a move, then he and his constant bitching has won. I don't love the idea of paying him to do nothing, literally, but you need to teach this guy that the team isn't revolving around him anymore. He gave up that privilege with all his whining last December about wanting away. Let him sit and rot until his contract expires.

Likely he'll be hired again, at phenomenal wages. Another team will likely have to deal with the same thing. The more this drags on, the more I'm amazed at Fergie's insight into not picking him up full time. I think it's inexcusable to not leave the bench when you've come there specifically to play, in the freaking Champions League nonetheless, and you actively deny your boss' request.

In that video, I want to think Mark Hughes is covering himself and his former employers at City a bit by playing devil's advocate, and I do doubt that there's any bad blood between he and Tevez - he doesn't want to stir personal shit up, which I can only imagine happens to Tevez often. He'll be defensive of his choice to bring him on, and that's fine. I do agree wholeheartedly with the first panelist (forgot his name) that Tevez needs to be effectively dealt with. Suspend him indefinitely without pay; I'm sure by actively denying to go out and do his job that he was in some sort of contract breach. I'd have my lawyers all over that and exploit any means necessary to just shut Tevez up, and cut out his support. If he doesn't want to play, he doesn't warrant his contract.

Just a bit of stream-of-thought, as I'm still completely dumbstruck by these clips and commentaries.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  10. venessian

Agree. Mancini is an an arrogant, pompous guy who has never really shown the ability/charisma to gain the respect of his players. Anyone think Materazzi cried when Mancio left Inter? But, please no Tevez at Inter. It would be a disaster.
    Dang, EA, how did you get the dream job of being Graeme Souness' SF sock??? How much does he pay you per freaking week? :lol: Seriously, though, you're 100% correct, from an emotional point of view, but I think keeping him on the team in any manner is going to cause problems down the line if he has any influence at all on other players. At least City today have suspended him while they investigate and have banned him from all matches, practices, facilities. My guess is that he will stay suspended the full 2 weeks, then sit on the bench for awhile (or for the rest of the season if Mancini has his way...and if Mancini doesn't have his way even bigger problems loom) and then be traded in January...to Real? I don't know how these things work in the EPL; can Tevez be fired outright? Meanwhile, the weasel is now denying that he refused to enter and is calling it a "misunderstanding." Uh-huh....What an insult.
    Now, for something more entertaining: [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  11. El Argentino

A year ago, I would have been all for it. Now, not so much. I'll bet his wife just happens to LOVE France though (despite not knowing that language either) and will adjust quickly at PSG.

12. El Argentino

Apparently rumours are circulating (at least on Univision) that Brazil might have it's WC taken away and given to the USA because of construction issues and mass counterfeiting of WC products that's already cropping up throughout Brazil.

13. embowafa

embowafa Well-Known Member

14. DLester

woo hoo isn't the US also supposed to get the 2022 Qatar WC too due to corruption?

15. venessian

It seems Mou still loves Tevez (at least according to La Gazzetta), but I could also see PSG going after him. It seems that he is no longer wanted anywhere in the UK. The jerk is getting a serious bashing there.
    Yes, talks with Blatter scheduled for next week.
    No confederation can host the WC for 2 events after hosting, so the US (or any CONCACAF nation) would not be allowed to host both 2014 and 2022. Frankly, I would prefer that Brazil keep 2014, Russia 2018 and the USA (or AUS) host 2022, with Sepp Blatter, Carlos Tevez, Byron Moreno, Jack Warner, the entire Qatari WC bid committee (actually, let's just make it ALL FIFA governors/committees + Tevez + Moreno) be banned for life to the as-yet unbuilt host city of Lusail for life, effective immediately. They can all meet for informal pick-up games in this ridiculous stadium. [​IMG]

16. DLester

were you the one talking up Mou to PSG a few weeks ago? I have noodled over that a bit, and it makes some sense to me now. PSG was bought by the uber-rich, they will have euros to spend on players and staff, Mou is wearing out his welcome at current club, so why not?

Better question is, where else would he go? MCity? Anzhi Makhachkala (had to look up spelling)? Not likely.

The man is a hero to me and a monumental pain in the ass. But regardless of how you feel about him, we can all agree that it has to be mountains of fun to be Jose, right? Never around for long, jumping from one great club to another. Yawn, what is Paris like this time of year?

Who will name their stadium after him one day? 5 clubs or none? Tip of the hat to you Mou. You are the man, but never never never come back to coach Chelsea. Never.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  17. El Argentino

No one involved in the production of this image can be in their right minds... can they? I am honestly all for "spreading the game around", but the reason football took off as it did in Western Europe was because of stability and means of communication and transportation. Since Football's establishment, there have only been a few regions of the world whose infrastructure has risen to meet and/or surpass Europe - North America, and the Far East (inc. Australia). I'm pleased that South Africa's games went off without any hitches, but you're really going to host a WC in the former gulag and then in the middle of the freaking desert? Fans complained that games in the Rose Bowl were too warm, let alone in the Qatari wilderness. Mourinho will stick with Madrid this and next season. Whether he wins or not, I think he'll be gone afterwards.

18. venessian

Yes, I had read that rumor...but there are so many rumors about Mou. He definitely is a polarizing, interesting guy and fantastic coach. We are all lucky to have him around. I don't have any clue as to where Mou would go after Real, but we all know the minimum criteria are: The league has to be a major league. (No Russian or Bulgarian league for the Mou.) The city has to be a major city and media market. (No Getafe or Freiburg for the Mou.) The team has to be a CL-level team. (No Glasgow Celtic or Bari for the Mou.) The team has to have $$$ to spend. (Only the best for the Mou.) So PSG, provided they do well now, could definitely be a future possibility. He enjoys controversy, so a return to a rival of a previous team (so, say Arsenal, Liverpool, Juve, AC Milan, etc. could be possibilities; although if he were to return to EPL Ferguson has stated many times that he would like Mou to replace him at ManU). The only major Euro language he doesn't speak (but he could certainly learn) is German, and I don't know if the Bundesliga interests him. Then again, if the Qatar WC gets awarded to Spain/Portugal somehow, we know exactly who Mou will be coaching in 2022. It is fun to speculate about the guy. You think that stadiums will be named after him though? I don't think he has been in one place long enough.
    Yep, that is a real idea/project. It's absurd: they are projected to cost $500,000 each minimum (so $4.5M for the 9 stadia, but I bet they would cost more); seem dangerous; require parking hangers; and what, reduce the heat from 122 to 110??? Big deal; it's still bad. I was at the Rose Bowl WC Final in 1994; it WAS brutally hot. 2 OT periods and the players were wrecked. I hate every single thing about the Qatar WC. The corruption, the lack of any soccer culture/history; the heat in the summer; the fact that nothing required (airports, transport, stadia, etc.) even exists yet; the prejudice against Israelis, women, gays, etc. Plus, how many fans from around the world will actually travel there? I really hope that enterprise falters.

19. El Argentino

Juventus/ACMilan rather bland first half, but I like Juventus' pressing. I think maybe 70% of the game thus far has been played in Milan's defensive half.

20. comeonyouspurs

comeonyouspurs Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Well done young son. Not the greatest NL Derby ever but it's always a great one when Spurs win. [​IMG]

Adebayor's work rate was God awful. VDV did well early on but after his goal he faded hard. Harry made some good tactical changes. Scott Parker has the energy of a coffee riddled child. It looks like we're finally playing good ball as we should, though.
    HOW DOES IT FEEL TO LOOK UP THE TABLE AT SPURS YOU FUCKING GOONER SCUM!?!?

Now, to comment on non-Spurs news. FIFA is so ass backwards I think the only thing that keeps things half on track is the Football Gods (Yes, I believe in them). I've heard stories of the Euro 2012 construction back ups and strikes, the ones in Brazil, and the outrageous decision to hold a World Cup in fucking Qatar. Russia, eh ok. Qatar? Fucking Qatar?! Venessian pretty much gave the rundown on why it's such an awful place to hold a WC. If Russia loses their WC and it's in any place in Western or Southern Europe, I'll be there for sure. If North America gets 2022, even better.

LOL @ what I think is Katy Perry being played before second half kick off at Juventus stadium. Good match so far. That new Juve stadium is gorgeous.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011