1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Soccer • Football • Voetbal • Futbol • Calcio 2011/2012

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Brian SD, Jun 21, 2011.

1. El Argentino

El Argentino Well-Known Member

Anyone else pumped for the Copa America tomorrow? Does it merit its own thread...?

2. venessian

venessian Well-Known Member

^
    I am!
    That's always a great tournament; just reading the list of forwards (esp. ARG and BRA) is mind-boggling.
    Plus, half these guys are on the market and I think will want to show their best.

I'm interested to watch Neymar and see if he's as good as the talk. Forlan says he's in even better shape than he was in WC2010. Sanchez is motivated. It should be good.

3. El Argentino

That's always a great tournament; just reading the list of forwards (esp. ARG and BRA) is mind-boggling.

Yeah - I can't believe how stacked the Arg. offense is this year.

Messi
    Tevez
    Aguero
    Higuain
    Lavezzi
    Di Maria
    Milito

With all that talent, they'd better bring home some sort of trophy over the next 4-6 years.

Neymar I've only personally watched in a few Brazil friendlies and then throughout the Libertadores this year. He seems genuinely good - above his level in Brazil, but I think he'll turn into a Saviola-type upon reaching Europe. Especially if he opts for the Premiere League where his obvious diving won't be tolerated and the likes of Nemaja Vidic & co. will have a field day pushing around all 145 lbs of the rat-haired kid.

I will, though, be very interested to monitor the progress of this young, new-look Brazil. I became more and more impressed with Ganso's play throughout the Libertadores, and think he'll be a genuinely good European import. Silva and David Luiz could be a monster pairing at the back for years to come. I think Marcelo though warrants a place at LB rather than Andre Santos.

Yeah - I'm currently in Uruguay, so the whole world it seems is throwing hope behind Forlan, Suarez and Cavani. Could be a very lethal pairing up top for the Celestes.

Alexi Sanchez, though - don't know why he's valued at 50 million. Never saw him play for Udinense last year.

Too, for anyone who cares, all the Copa America games will be live-streamed for free at univisiondeportes.com. Don't know if they'll support replays though.

4. BDC2823

BDC2823 Well-Known Member

I've been having soccer withdrawals lately so I'll be watching when I can. I'm looking forward to seeing that Argentina offense. If they could only field a defense, they might be able to give Spain a run for their money. (thinking long term here....I know its Copa America right now)

5. venessian

Yeah - I can't believe how stacked the Arg. offense is this year. Messi Tevez Aguero Higuain Lavezzi Di Maria Milito With all that talent, they'd better bring home some sort of trophy over the next 4-6 years.
    And those are just the forwards! The midfield is very strong as well: Cambiasso, Mascherano, Biglia, Banega, Gago, Pastore. It looks like a battle between Argentina's attack and Brazil's defense. I am interested in the new Brazil as well, but besides the promise of Neymar up front the rest of the attack (Robinho, Fred, Pato) have not overly impressed lately. Their defense is rock solid as usual. Sanchez is very good, but I also think over-proced at 50M. Love Forlan, Cavani and Suárez (and Hernández). It would be great to see them play as well as last summer or better; they are such fun to watch. It would be great to see Colombia recapture the old flair again.

6. jstupple19

jstupple19 Well-Known Member

Ugh don't get me started on Suarez and Neymar...both players seem like Robinho's waiting to happen, especially Neymar.

7. acularw

acularw Well-Known Member

Will the America Cup be broadcast in the U.S. at all? If not, any streams available?

8. venessian

^
    The (crappy) game tonight was broadcast on TeleFutura 46 (Univision; LA) and streamed on Univision.

9. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

Can't believe Bolivia managed a draw against such an incredibly star-studded Argentina side. Messi can never seem to replicate the Barcelona magic when he's playing for the national team. Agüero's goal was badass though, and probably drove his transfer fee up a few mil. [​IMG]

10. Achillus

Achillus Well-Known Member

Manchester City should switch from brand. Drop Umbro and get Adidas. What would City fans think about it? I think the kits brands can be the last helping hand for the radiation to be an top club.

11. Reynard369

Reynard369 Well-Known Member

Can't believe Bolivia managed a draw against such an incredibly star-studded Argentina side. Messi can never seem to replicate the Barcelona magic when he's playing for the national team.

Agüero's goal was badass though, and probably drove his transfer fee up a few mil. [​IMG]

Wouldn't say Bolivia "managed a draw." They matched Argentina throughout and a draw was the fair result.

12. El Argentino

Argentina's Performance [​IMG] [​IMG]

Aguero's volley. [​IMG] [​IMG]

There seems to be a real short-circuit in the midfield for me. It leaves the front three rather isolated in their runs. I thought Lavezzi started out strong, managing around his defender and just outpacing/muscling his man out. Tevez got off some shots, but wasn't too much of a threat. Messi was marked almost out of the game, unless he dropped back past midfield.

Mascherano spent the evening looking like Busquets - dropping in between Milito and Burdisso, making it almost look like a 5-man defensive line.

I appreciate Batista trying to run the Barça offense, but it's just not working. Messi's not out there with Xavi, Iniesta & co. - passers of insane quality who can hold their own on defense as well.

For all intents and purposes, I think I'd personally even play a different formation. Probably something more similar to a 4-2-3-1. I'm not quite sure either why Walter Samuel wasn't called up (I think he was injured for a long stretch last year, but he's still the most solid defender Argentina has). I am glad though that Demichelis has finally been found out for the flop he is.

Lone striker up top - I'd probably start with Tevez as a lone man up top for the time being. His goals at ManCity (inspite of having Dzeko as a partner) were usually crafted with him being fed up through the midfield and going at it alone from just outside the 18. Although with Kun Aguero looking all the more potent, this could be up for some debate. My personal favorite of the whole bunch is Gonzalo HiguaÃn, but with him having been injured for some 4-5 months, I'd rather start with someone hot.

3 "Attacking" midfielders (as a FIFA video game would describe it). - Definately put Di Maria in on the left from the start. He adds pace and width to any attack, beyond his ability to cut in from the wing for his own shot. On the right... I'd throw Messi back out to where he started. He was originally a right-sided player before Pep dropped him into the center of the pitch over the last two seasons. I'd have Messi moving up and down the right - again, speed and an ability to stretch opposing defense. He's a good passer, but the more I see Messi play in the center, I just don't think he's cut from that true "playmaker" mold, the way Kaká (in his prime) or Zidane was. In the center of the pitch, I'd have two different options, depending on the game. If I'm looking for more immediate firepower I go with (most principally) Tevez, shifting HiguaÃn or Aguero up top to start as the striker. Tevez @ ManCity is prone to coming back deep to pick up the ball, so he can cover ground. He's also played this position at ManUnited when Rooney was set up more as a lone striker with Ronaldo and Giggs out wide - Tevez would play supporting man. In times of more possession or flooding the midfield, I'd start Pastore. He is the type of guy to kind of dictate what goes on through the center - something Argentina has been missing since Riquelme copped out.

2 more defensive midfielders - Mascherano is a fairly obvious start as one, but here you could probably get away now with fielding Cambiasso as well (who still isn't completely back from injury, it appears). Or, you could field Mascherano with Banega, with Gago, etc. A lot of Arg's midfielders play that role. Banega is probably the most versatile of the choices - inasmuch as he could support well in extended attacks as well.

4 on the back line. I think Rojo has a bright future from what I've seen - probably keep him by default because of the severe shortage of left-backs. Heinze could still play, but you want someone young like Rojo getting prepped for Brazil 2014. I think Milito's time has passed (being a literally unused sub for Barça through all his injuries and already in his 30's). I'd probably try to milk one more tournament from Samuel, as already stated, but otherwise I'd start Burdisso paired up with Spartak Moscow's Nicolas Pareja - he and Rojo already have a bit of playtime together. He's only 25-27 and brings a bit of height to the back line. At right back, I do love "old man" Zanetti, and think he's ridiculously consistant, and merits the spot, especially at 37 playing the way he still does. If not, you for sure throw in Pablo Zabaleta. I think the defense is where Argentina needs to focus the majority of its attention over the next three years. There seems to be a real drought of "world-class" defenders for the last many years.

Keeper - kind of goes to Romero by default, inasmuch he's the most experienced of the group. Don't know why Carrizo is in the squad, what with River having dropped to the B in the last week. Andujar I've never personally seen play. But I think in keeper consistency is key, so you leave Romero in until he begins to show he can't take it. I think Arg's tactical failings at South Africa 2010 were caused by Maradona's choices, resulting in the absolute goal-fest by Germany. I can't pin that all on Romero, even though he was between the sticks.

Anyways, just my thoughts for the day.

13. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

Good write-up!

Chile vs. Mexico was a great game. Very exciting to watch, even though the final ball was often lacking. Sanchez looks the business when he's in a forward position, but seems to send the ball astray when he's playing deeper.

14. tullytra

tullytra Well-Known Member

Liverpool have added to their midfield yet again: http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/060720...agreement.html The fee seems like a decent deal, but why another midfielder? Those 8M pounds could've gone toward securing a winger. Unless they're planning on going ManCity this summer without spending limits, it seems like this deal just cuts into the budget without shoring a need. They best get to unloading a midfielder or two.

15. El Argentino

Chile vs. Mexico was a great game. Very exciting to watch, even though the final ball was often lacking. Sanchez looks the business when he's in a forward position, but seems to send the ball astray when he's playing deeper.
    Agreed! I was really impressed with Chile when they started out keeping only 3 on the back line. They bounced that ball around the midfield, and spent so much time in Mexico's half that I thought I was watching Barça. The goal they surrendered to MX was a complete fluke, and I wouldn't have been surprised to see them 3-up. I do think Suazo had an off night - normally he's more clinical. I thought Sanchez was making good runs and really pumped for the game, but I have yet to see why he's (Udinese's) clamouring for 50 million...
    The fee seems like a decent deal, but why another midfielder? Those 8M pounds could've gone toward securing a winger. Unless they're planning on going ManCity this summer without spending limits, it seems like this deal just cuts into the budget without shoring a need. They best get to unloading a midfielder or two.
    I'd heard rumblings that both Maxi Rodriguez and Raul Meireles were headed out of Merseyside this summer. But I agree with you - Daglish should be looking elsewhere for coverage. Why they'd send Meireles packing after only one season is beyond me. He was great for a lot of last season.

16. xudisco07

xudisco07 Well-Known Member

Liverpool have added to their midfield yet again: http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/060720...agreement.html The fee seems like a decent deal, but why another midfielder? Those 8M pounds could've gone toward securing a winger. Unless they're planning on going ManCity this summer without spending limits, it seems like this deal just cuts into the budget without shoring a need. They best get to unloading a midfielder or two.
    I don't think he will perform at the same level when he was at Blackpool. He is good at a struggling club, but I do not see him doing well at Liverpool who have some decent players. Liverpool should look at improving their defense.

17. tullytra

I'd heard rumblings that both Maxi Rodriguez and Raul Meireles were headed out of Merseyside this summer. But I agree with you - Daglish should be looking elsewhere for coverage.

Why they'd send Meireles packing after only one season is beyond me. He was great for a lot of last season.

I completely agree. After watching Rodriguez do nothing for 4 months I was sure he'd be gone. I just hope the two hat tricks at the end of the season keep him at Liverpool. All I could think of while watching those was hopefully he'll fetch a better fee after showing some life and skill.

18. embowafa

embowafa Well-Known Member

19. embowafa

embowafa Well-Known Member

JHC, Argies...pretty damn crappy team you've got there.

Bunch of individuals who have no idea how to play with their teammates.

20. tullytra

They can take some solace in the fact that no one has looked particularly well in the tournament. People can say it isn't Messi's fault and others around him aren't playing well, but someone of his caliber should have at least a goal out of a pair of games against Bolivia and Colombia. Tevez has to be better at the top as well. Zero goals from those two after they score in bunches in the Premier League and La Liga is a bit confusing.