1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Soccer • Football • Voetbal • Futbol • Calcio 2011/2012

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Brian SD, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

Neither Pool nor Spurs will have an easy time getting into the CL, but if Spurs keep Modric and Bale while bolstering a few spots I think they have a good chance. Liverpool can play very well under Kenny Dalglish, even with their current squad, which has several glaring weak points - literally no real left back, two CBs with big weaknesses, and no wide players.

The big stink about Andre Villas-Boas is that he's like a born manager. He has all the qualities that make a really top level coach. He reminds me of Juanma Lillo, but with the potential for much greater success. I think he'll be an instant hit at Chelsea.

2. xudisco07

xudisco07 Well-Known Member

1st: Man City 2nd: Man Utd 3rd: Chelsea 4th: Liverpool
    Uhhh, Man City in first? [​IMG]
    I don't see what the big stink with Villas-Boas is. He had a spectacular year, yes, but only one, and he's going to cost Chelsea 15m euros - no manager is worth that much.
    I believe Jose cost more for Real, but your point is valid. They need a coach to kick the players in the ass and hopefully he can.

3. El Argentino

El Argentino Well-Known Member

Ugh... I really don't want to come off as racist or anything like that, but it really disturbs me that a "home" game in LA has more Mexican fans turning out than those for the USA. And what's more, this rivalry just makes me angry every time I watch a run-in between the US and MX. Just cheap shots going everywhere, no flow to the game, and it looks to me like it's all Mexico's doing every time. I mean, seriously... pouring urine on Donovan as he walks out of the tunnel at the Azteca to shouts of "I just fucked your mom!"? Way to stay classy, Mexico. My wife is Mexican, and therefore my daughter 1/2. But WTF?! (then again I could just be looking for excuses as to why the US sucked it up this tournament...)

4. Brian SD

Ugh... I really don't want to come off as racist or anything like that, but it really disturbs me that a "home" game in LA has more Mexican fans turning out than those for the USA. And what's more, this rivalry just makes me angry every time I watch a run-in between the US and MX. Just cheap shots going everywhere, no flow to the game, and it looks to me like it's all Mexico's doing every time.

I mean, seriously... pouring urine on Donovan as he walks out of the tunnel at the Azteca to shouts of "I just fucked your mom!"? Way to stay classy, Mexico.

My wife is Mexican, and therefore my daughter 1/2. But WTF?!

(then again I could just be looking for excuses as to why the US sucked it up this tournament...)

Small country mentality.

5. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

Why was the game in Pasadena to begin with? 40% of the LA metro is Latino, and 30% is foreign born. Couldn't we find a way to put it in Philadelphia or Minneapolis or somewhere that would have made a home field disadvantage somewhat unlikely?

6. Dashaansafin

Dashaansafin Well-Known Member

Small penis mentality.

FTFY

7. embowafa

embowafa Well-Known Member

8. El Argentino

Was really excited to read about this signing by los merengues today...

More like it - start looking at the long term as opposed to just signing the best of the market.

9. Reynard369

Reynard369 Well-Known Member

Was really excited to read about this signing by los merengues today...

More like it - start looking at the long term as opposed to just signing the best of the market.

If he stays at the Nou Camp...

10. El Argentino

If he stays at the Bernabeu...

FTFY

11. Reynard369

Reynard369 Well-Known Member

FTFY

Yeah that haha.

12. romafan

romafan Well-Known Member

Another one bites the dust, and River fans are not happy about it! Can someone explain how Argentine relegation works? I assumed it was a seasonal event - bottom 3 teams go down, but heard that it is cumulative based on 3 seasons [​IMG]

13. surfnbank

surfnbank Well-Known Member

I'm hoping for Man U, I believe Liverpool is probably going to have the biggest upswing this year. I'd like to Arsenal spend some money and get some people but god knows if that will ever happen.

14. culverwood

culverwood Well-Known Member

I am not convinced by Mancini as a manager I do not think City will ever win the Premier League with him in charge. Injuries have so much effect on who is in the top 4 it could be any one of 6 including Liverpool and Spurs.

15. Brian SD

I am not convinced by Mancini as a manager I do not think City will ever win the Premier League with him in charge. Injuries have so much effect on who is in the top 4 it could be any one of 6 including Liverpool and Spurs.
    The worst thing about City making the top 4 is that they'll bring that bland soccer into the CL. Not looking forward to watching City's favorite "3 holding midfielders" formation in the CL. Interesting bit of stats concerning United's new 'keeper:
    I think he'll come good, but he's definitely going to have a trial by fire as United's run in to the new season isn't a cakewalk by any means.

16. jstupple19

jstupple19 Well-Known Member

Neither Pool nor Spurs will have an easy time getting into the CL, but if Spurs keep Modric and Bale while bolstering a few spots I think they have a good chance. Liverpool can play very well under Kenny Dalglish, even with their current squad, which has several glaring weak points - literally no real left back, two CBs with big weaknesses, and no wide players..

I agree that if Spurs keep Modric and Bale they'll have a shot, but they desperately need a new keeper and VdV needs to play much more consistently for them to challenge. As much as I hate to say it, I think 'Pool have a great shot if they play more consistently, but too many times last term, such as against Spurs at the end of the season, they let their standard of play drop too far. I think Arsenal will have the most trouble of the current top 4 in staying in the CL places, because I can't see them spending any money, and Fabregas is almost certainly out the door, along with Nasri. United have spent 50 million pounds on 75 million pounds-worth of players. Jones is one for the near future, but Young and de Gea are ready for the big time already. Very sad to see Hargreaves leave, as he was by far England's best player in 2006 and was shaping up to be miles better than Fletcher and Carrick.

17. Dashaansafin

Dashaansafin Well-Known Member

18. venessian

venessian Well-Known Member

^ Yes, Van der Sar retired last month. de Gea is pretty good though.
    I am not convinced by Mancini as a manager I do not think City will ever win the Premier League with him in charge.
    I agree with that. I was so happy to see him leave Inter. He's really an arrogant guy.

19. El Argentino

I was so happy to see him leave Inter...

I was even more surprised at how quickly Leonardo packed up shop and bailed over to PSG.

20. venessian

venessian Well-Known Member

Yeah, that was a bit unexpected after one year, but Leonardo always had good rapport with PSG and he's going there in his preferred role. I don't think he loves the sidelines. I think Leonardo fits in well there and I would actually love to see PSG (and St. Etienne...Allez Les Verts!!!) become a top-flight team again.

Also glad that Inter signed Gasperini; I think he'll do well there.

Mancini was quite disliked in Milan; I don't think Moratti or many others were unhappy to see him go.