1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

so i'm gonna try lucid dreaming

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by oman, May 8, 2006.

1. Garrett

Garrett Well-Known Member

So I had a lucid dream session last night. These past few weeks I have been constantly questioning myself "am I dreaming?" as suggested in this thread.

In my dream last night, my buddy and I were making chocolates out of Psilocybe Cubensis mushrooms. We ate the chocolates and I started to trip, but then I realized it was a dream. I managed to manipulate myself pretty well in the dream - I pinched my nose and when I was still able to breathe I knew it was a dream.

At first I had a hard time guiding my dream. I'd get a little progress, but realize it was a dream and wouldn't be able to do whatever I wanted.

Eveuntually I found a trick. I told myself I was on some sort of hallucinogen, and focused my brain to try and turn objects into other things (like you can do while tripping). I began to realize that I really could do everything I wanted. I can't remember everything I did, but one of the things was playing a sort of Grand Theft Auto scenario in a downtown area with some friends. I remember putting my hands out as if I was holding a rifle, then concentrating really hard and imagining what it should look like, and a shotgun appeared. I ran around playing a real-life version of the game...pretty cool.

I should really write the dreams down when I wake up. I can't wait to try it again tonight.

sounds awesome! Congrats =)

2. oman

oman Well-Known Member

whoa, sounds sweet, versace

how long did you have to ask yourself whether you've been dreaming? i still have had no luck, and it's been a little while

and yeah, practicing this REQUIRES a dream journal

3. VMan

VMan Well-Known Member

whoa, sounds sweet, versace

how long did you have to ask yourself whether you've been dreaming? i still have had no luck, and it's been a little while

and yeah, practicing this REQUIRES a dream journal

Two weeks, about.

My dreams have always been very vivid in the past, and left a big impact on me for the rest of the day. I was able to control them slightly, but not to the extent that I am able to now.

4. oman

oman Well-Known Member

one thing that concerns me is that it may end up being jsut a stupid waste of time

i mean, all the literature i read about this stuff says that it helps to "unlock your potential" but i don't know if that's leary-like pseudoscience

although the mind IS an incredibly powerful thing, does lucid dreaming help at all in the waking world?

i guess maybe leaving a "big impact" is sort of helpful, if it elevates the mood or whatever

5. j

j Well-Known Member

Get it working and find out. It really is amazing how it can change your outlook on your waking life. I've read about people using their dream time to practice real life skills and having, if nothing else, more confidence when it came time. The specific example I'm thinking of is of a concert musician, a violinist or cellist I think, who visualized himself performing solo, perfectly, in front of a packed house at Carnegie Hall. He reported improvement in his waking performance.

Anyway, it doesn't hurt to try. I don't think it really requires an inordinate amount of effort (no more than devout prayer.. [​IMG]) and it's not like it cuts into your time to do other things, right?

6. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Well-Known Member

Plus when lucid dreaming you can hang out with totally hot, rich, intelligent women who are sincerely interested in you as a person. I understand that this doesn't frequently happen to the average guy. It happens to me all the time. I don't know whats wrong with the rest of you. [​IMG]