• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Snake in my yard

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Duff_Man
DSC00272.jpg

Nice! Always wanted one of these:
400px-Thunder_5.JPG
But I admit that yours looks a bit more elegant.
smile.gif

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BDC2823
Rattlesnakes

Yup, used to run in the hills and I stopped to tie my shoes. Heard some rattling in the grass and got the hell out of there.

Canberraman

Reaction score
I'll second the don't come to Australia comment. I have found Eastern Brown snakes in my garden a few times.
Quoted from Wikipedia:

"The Eastern Brown Snake is the second most venomous land snake in the world after the Inland Taipan.[2] Their venom is very toxic, and can be fatal; even juveniles have caused human fatalities. The venom contains both neurotoxins and blood coagulants.[3] Eastern Brown Snakes are also aggressive. Compared to most snakes that will flee when ever possible, Brown Snakes are much more likely to stand their ground, heightening the danger in an encounter. Without medical treatment, death is highly likely. [4]"

But hey, we don't get Taipans where I am so it's not all bad.

jaac

Reaction score
best addpost ever. i expected "we have snakes in our lingerie" however

Joe Cool

Reaction score
Kinda looks like a fresh coiled up dog turd
lol8[1].gif

I made a deal with snake kingdom long ago, we agreed to just leave each other alone.

Originally Posted by Steve Smith
I had not seen this one for a while. He is sunning himself on top of my 2008 Christmas tree. This is about 7 feet laterally from the mowed part of my lawn. I have never seen this snake anywhere except on top of this tree except for the time I moved him to take pictures. He stays on his own turf.

I am still fascinated by the color of this snake. I have seen hundreds of cottonmouths but never one this light in color.

3-7-1.jpg

spencers

Reaction score
Sweet pictures. Interesting color.

Bunch of ladies ITT.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would have killed him with fire. Luckily I live far enough inland in NC to be away from water moccasins. Copperheads, on the other hand. . .

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
The whole alligators/sharks/mutant Burmese pythons thing makes the Deep South my least favorite part of the U.S.
fing02[1].gif

Are all effete, sheltered, latte-liberal WASPs as wussy as you, or are you unique?

You really do crack me up. You're like the poster child for the Yankee city boys redneck dudes like to make fun of.

DSC00272.jpg

That is awesome.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deveandepot1
Amazing pictures!
We don't get any snakes here in California.

That's not true. As someone mentioned earlier, California is chock full of various types of rattlesnakes. Really depends where you live, I guess. Even in certain parts of LA (mainly, the Hollywood Hills area, where there is still a fair amount of wilderness interspersed with housing) have rattlers slinking around. I used to go running up in the canyons and hills around that area, and I'd see a rattlesnake every other week or so. Usually in the early morning hours. It's actually not the snakes that scare me, but the mountain lions. Those F***ers are stealthy and highly aggressive. You don't see them coming until it's too late.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TintoTerra
Good for you for not killing it! Cottonmouths put on a defensive display (opening their mouths to reveal the white lining thereof) in hopes of scaring you away. The word 'aggressive' is a real misnomer when you're talking about snakes because none of them (I don't care what your redneck uncle says) will make an effort to attack you unless you've stepped on them or nearly touched them (reached into a dark place etc.). Water moccasins, btw, don't have 'nests' and they don't chase people. Stepping within a few feet of a venomous snake will usually simply illicit it's warning response and not cause it to 'come at you'.

It really annoys me to see intelligent people talking about killing snakes. There are enough rednecks out there killing things for no reason without everyone else doing it.

I had to deal with about 85 venomous snakes at work today, and I can assure you, if given the chance, even the most defensive of them would rather turn and slither away than bite anyone.

I've been chased by cotton mouth before. I don't know anything about nests, but the bastard darted after my kayak until I swatted with my paddle.

I didn't have issues with snakes until my little sister, and I'm still torn. I moved a coral snake out of our driveway a few weeks ago, and we've found rattlesnakes all over the place, which is fine by me for the most part. We also have all manner of the non venomous types, which are great*. I don't like moccasins (not nearly as common where I am as rattlesnakes thankfully), and I don't like copperheads. At least rattlesnakes tend to have the courtesy to tell you to **** off before they bite.

*My little brother was freaking out over a mouse one night that had apparently been crawling on him while he was asleep. I started looking for it, saw it, and then it ran under his bed. I look underneath and it's been snagged by a rat snake that was chilling under there.

DRI

Reaction score
I don't think i would be able to sleep after finding a snake under my bed

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I saw a bunch of snakes in Virginia growing up, fortunately nearly all were rat or black snakes and are very docile. Ran across an Eastern diamondback up in the mountains, intimidating snake right there.

Water moccasins distress me though, see them pretty frequently here in Georgia. I stay out of the water, really have no desire to run into one on its own turf. I did see one eating a fish on a river bank, that was kind of interesting.

FStyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm noit afraid of men,
I'm not afraid of women
I'm not afraid of conflict
I'm not afraid Mountain lions
I'm not afriad of black bears
I've never ran into a grizzley, but if I did I'd prolly be scared

But I'll run like a bisnatch at the sight of one of those slitthery pieces of damned **** venomous or not.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DSC00272.jpg

The Judge. .410/.45LC. Just got the 3" mag version and it handles much better than you'd expect. Stay outta my house

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads