1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Small-timer car recommendation (under 25k)

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by intent, Oct 1, 2009.

1. epb

epb Well-Known Member

If you're an up and coming lawyer you won't go wrong with a CPO 3-series. Free maintenance is a real plus that you should factor into your price comparisons.

Yep, I could see an early E90 3-series for that budget. Personally, I'd be shopping for a used E46 M3, ideally a 2003 or newer with the LED lights. Since the new ones came out, prices are dropping steeply.

2. intent

intent Well-Known Member

New strategy: What about the cheapest new Corolla I can find?

3. tiecollector

tiecollector Well-Known Member

I originally went to get a Corolla but they nickel and dime you. The base models don't even have automatic windows or floormats. By the time you upgrade to some standard features, it costs more than the Impreza 2.5i. I was impressed with Subaru's service too. They drove the car in the color I wanted halfway across the state to get it to me the next day. Subaru comes standard with all the basic modern features too.

4. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

I originally went to get a Corolla but they nickel and dime you. The base models don't even have automatic windows or floormats. By the time you upgrade to some standard features, it costs more than the Impreza 2.5i. I was impressed with Subaru's service too. They drove the car in the color I wanted halfway across the state to get it to me the next day. Subaru comes standard with all the basic modern features too.
    Boy you got screwed by your local Toyota dealership: Corolla LE automatic has an invoice of $16100 - http://www.edmunds.com/new/2010/toyota/corolla/101140839/optionsresults.html?action=2 Subaru 2.5 with automatic has an invoice of $18400 - http://www.edmunds.com/new/2010/suba....html?action=2

5. KBW

KBW Well-Known Member

Yes, I definitely want a grown man car. Think Audi, except I don't have the money. It's funny since a friend of mine recently sold his G35.

Audi cars don't hold their value AT ALL. I almost bought an A8 but then looked at the used prices and it was crazy how much/quickly they drop in value. Of course I can't say much as I just bought my second Range Rover new last week and it'll be worth less than half what I paid for it in two years.

6. username79

username79 Well-Known Member

Yep, I could see an early E90 3-series for that budget. Personally, I'd be shopping for a used E46 M3, ideally a 2003 or newer with the LED lights. Since the new ones came out, prices are dropping steeply.
    An E46 M3 on a 25K budget would be a big mistake. They are not very expensive to maintain, but costs do add up, especially out of warranty. I have not seen 2006 M3s down to 25K out the door at dealers yet. I still think the suggestion of a black Mazda 6 is end of thread. I can't think of anything more appropriate.

7. Dmax

Dmax Well-Known Member

I'll try to hit the Subaru dealership sometime, but once again, why hood scoops?
    In case of Subarus, the hood scoops are actually functional since they direct air towards the intercooler that sits on top of the engine. The naturally aspirated flat 4 and flat 6 powered Subarus like Imprezza 2.5i or the Legacy 2.5i or 3.6R don't have the hood scoops.

8. il ciclista

il ciclista Well-Known Member

vw's are pieces of garbage, i used to be big into the vw scene aircooled and watercooled. Grandpa had a shop, let's just say he made alot of money working on them. Something is always wrong. Go for the scooby or something from the land of the rising sun.

9. TylerDurden

TylerDurden Well-Known Member

Even though I think there ugly and have crappy interiors, I'd have to recommend the Subaru Impreza WRX as well. For your location and price range, you'll get a great driving car.

10. modsquad

modsquad Well-Known Member

No mention of the Mazda 3 yet. Mazda does very good design and engineering and the Mazda 3 performs great for a low-priced hatchback.

11. tiecollector

tiecollector Well-Known Member

Boy you got screwed by your local Toyota dealership: Corolla LE automatic has an invoice of $16100 - http://www.edmunds.com/new/2010/toyota/corolla/101140839/optionsresults.html?action=2 Subaru 2.5 with automatic has an invoice of $18400 - http://www.edmunds.com/new/2010/suba....html?action=2
    Yeah, but is that the 'S' with the bigger engine (and still smaller than the 2.5 with about 50hp less)? I didn't fight too hard for the Toyota because I didn't really want it. I got my Subaru for below invoice after taxes [​IMG] The interior does suck though, but it's not that bad. The other thing that irks me is the keyless entry, it is infuriating at times.

12. intent

intent Well-Known Member

OK --- dumb question: When I buy a car at the dealership, so I have to have insurance first? Or do I drive the new car and get insurance soon after?

Also, should I not bother getting keyless entry for the Corolla LE? What is wrong with it?

13. SoulPatcher

SoulPatcher Well-Known Member

OK --- dumb question: When I buy a car at the dealership, so I have to have insurance first? Or do I drive the new car and get insurance soon after?

Also, should I not bother getting keyless entry for the Corolla LE? What is wrong with it?

Depends. If you are paying cash, no. Your insurance will generally cover you for up to 30 days (liability only) to give you time to set it up. You will have to back pay from the date of purchase, but you can do it. If you are financing or leasing, you will need to have insurance proof faxed, but you can do that on the spot. You just call and add the car right there and have them fax proof. Depending on the state, they may only require proof of insurance in general, not necessarily for that specific car.

14. CTGuy

CTGuy Well-Known Member

All your choices sound boring as hell. That you'd even consider a Kia suggests you might as well save your money and buy something as cheap (but reliable) as possible. Go for a Toyota Yaris or Honda Civic. Then, after five years is up and the car is worth next to nothing, you can at least congratulate yourself on having done dull motoring the most efficient way possible.

Then you can go for the Lotus Exige / Noble M14 / Caterham that will show you the delights of a car worth driving, rather than just an alternative to public transport.

That is some pretty much awful advice. My brother's GF's father has an exige. They are not practical at all and if you want to talk about not holding their value-- let's talk about exotic cars.

15. il ciclista

a civic holds it's value pretty well because they are generally very reliable cars.

16. spacepuppy

spacepuppy Active Member

At least look at the Mazda dealership. A co-worker chumped out and bought a civic and much prefers his girlfriends Mazda 3, oops. I checked out the Mazda 3 hatchback today and nearly loaded was only 23k! wow.

Mini cooper. Fun to drive without looking too boy racer. Does not look out of place at the ballpark or the Ritz or that you are trying too hard. Wearing a suit in it no prob and good resale. I think they still have the included maintenence. Also I had a good experience at the dealership I bought from. Happy shopping!

17. BP348

BP348 Well-Known Member

I would look at the Golf (non GTI and no I will not call it a Rabbit) and the Jetta TDI, I am biased as I am a VW fan.

I have a Jetta TDI & a golf TDI so you know what my vote is.

My next 'gas' car is going to be that new VW CC

18. theguy

theguy Well-Known Member

Im just starting my search for a car in that range as well.

Cars im looking at (used)
    2007-up g35 sedan
    lexus is350(may be too small)
    Acura tl or rl
    Volvo s60r
    2009 maxima(might be out of my price range)
    infiniti fx

have you checked any of these out?

19. Mannix

Mannix Well-Known Member

Get a used Lincoln Town Car...you won't regret it.

MPG: 20/28 is what I'm getting.

20. il ciclista

volvo's are awesome, cheap, and very reliable as well. Check those out like someone said earlier. It gives you the Euro comfort with the asian reliability.