1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Small boutiques... (a short rant)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GQgeek, Jul 7, 2003.

1. cristobal

cristobal Well-Known Member

You may be referring to me here. My intention was not to bash the French; I value France's contributions to culture, cuisine, and the creation of the U.S.A. very much. I tend to consume and purchase a substantial amount of French food, beverage and clothing. I was just reflecting on my own personal experience in dealing with their foreign ministry while working for a French conglom, and I went off on a rant. I was simply trying to say that no one's got the moral high ground in this world. Sorry if I ruffled some feathers.

As for the original topic, I thought I'd elaborate on my point about the helpfulness of the Neiman Marcus staff on Michigan Avenue. One of their salespeople always calls and lets me know when the pre-Last Calls and Last Calls are kicking off--usually giving me a day or two head start on the masses. (Marks items down to sale price before the sale, etc.) He tends to know of my preferences, and calls when something that may be of interest to me comes in.

2. cristobal

cristobal Well-Known Member

Happy Bastille Day, by the way.

3. Steve B.

Steve B. Well-Known Member

I concur with Ay's observation. However, because there are three separate threads within a thread running here (i'm counting Joe's car observations), I can't really move the thread...

How about we agree to start a new thread on the oil and America and car thing, and leave the sales people issues here.

4. aybojs

aybojs Well-Known Member

Whoops, I didn't mean to sound like I was singling you out, and sorry if it seemed like a potshot of its own. I was just trying to make up a good stock example based on recent current events, such as the whole French boycott fuss, and had no idea. So my apologies if I inadverently put you on the defensive; it surely was not intended [​IMG] My observation was just that there's no need for anyone to drop one-line political comments and take over topical threads when there's another forum here for people to flesh out their ideas. I'll stop rambling now, so (as someone with no French heritage) happy Bastile Day to you too. Re: salesmen, I was curious as to how your treatment from salespeople tended to vary based on demographic. As a younger consumer with a limited budget, I'll notice an even split between patronizing salesmen who think I'm not wealthy or refined enough for their time and especially amiable ones who are trying their darndest in the hopes of snaring a future clotheshorse early.

5. vero_group

vero_group Well-Known Member

I realize that this horse is dead, but I thought I'd beat on it a little more with some facts published recently in the "American Housing Survey" by the U.S. Bureau of Census, and reported by Gene Epstein in this week's "Barron's":

The poverty line is a family of four with an annual income of $18,900.

There are 14.6 million households (11.7% of all U.S. households) officially listed as living below the poverty line.

Of these 14.6 million poverty-ridden households:

- 73% own a car or truck
    - 46% are homeowners
    - 56% live in manufactured housing or single-detached homes
    - The median housing unit is 1,400 square feet (40% more living space than for the average resident in Japan, the world's second largest economy)
    - 65% own a washing machine
    - 56% own a dryer
    - 73% own a microwave oven
    - 78% have air conditioning in their homes
    - 33% own a dishwasher
    - 7.5% hold liquid assets worth $25,000 or greater, excluding the equity built up in their homes

Mr. Epstein adds, "Some are foreign-born who now account for 15% of those officially in poverty, and from their standpoint, what they have [here in America] is far better than the alternative, a fact of life that pious liberals should bear in mind."

If you want to read the entire article, "Put Me in the Poorhouse -- Please.", it's on page 32 of the July 21, 2003 issue of Barron's -- $3.50 at newstands this weekend.

6. VMan

VMan Well-Known Member

Pertaining to the original subject...

I was in chicago yesterday with my family, and after visiting some of the museums there we did a bit of shopping on Michigan Ave. I stopped in at Neiman Marcus to check out the last call sale - not too many good things left, and the prices were still very high. Saks was the same, but they seemed to have some nicer stuff. Also stopped in the 900 Building and Watertower place: great shops there but again too expensive for me at my younger age. However, I couldn't get over the sheer rudeness possessed by the sales people. It wasn't as if I was dressed shabby, but I guess a stylish Armani Collezioni vertically striped shirt, Diesel jeans, and Aldo shoes don't cut it with them. Nobody even had the courtesy to speak to me; at Sak's (the mens store) I said 'hi' to a passing sales person (couldn't have been more than a year or two older than me, maybe 21) and he just laughed and walked on. I don't know what their problem is. It's not like they have tremendous amounts of money themselves just because they work in a high-end store, I guess they feel they can look down on those with 'less' than their usual customers. After reading the posts by other members on this topic, I had not experienced this rude treatment as they had up until today. My city has some high-end shops, but nothing like what Chicago has (i'm used to smaller mens stores which I would have thought would be even ruder than a large, somewhat generic store like saks). It makes me feel that I'm not good enough to wear nicer clothes, even though I enjoy them and don't wear them as status symbols or for attention. I guess I'll stick to online shopping, beats dealing with the salespeople.

Eric

7. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear that these stores have bad service. Anyways the majority of experiences I have had were quite good The Hermes stores, Vuitton, Gucci, and other high end establishments. I actually found the Versace store somewhat too presumptuous in their service but it wasn't bad though.

The worst service I encountered was in the Shanghai Dunhill store. Apparently I asked for a catalogue, and they said they didn't have any. But then there was a very large stack just on the table behind the sales person.