1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Slimmest fitting OTR dress shirts?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by JRolley, Sep 28, 2012.

1. JRolley

JRolley Well-Known Member

I have fairly broad shoulders and chest but a narrow waist. I was the shirt to fit like a glove around my chest, shoulders and arms and then sit nicely around my waist. Any opinions on brands you've seen that fit like this?

2. ronish

ronish Active Member

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forums, i tried and searched a lot to get perfect fitting slim shirt but couldn't find any of one. I am little thin and taller. The problem i face mostly is short in length or short in sleeve. Any suggestions or idea which brand would give me perfect fitting in slim shirts

3. Midnight

Midnight Well-Known Member

It's difficult to give advice without more information, like your precise chest and collar measurements.

From my experience the OTR shirts which tailor in the most (i.e have the largest difference between the chest measurement and the waist measurement) are the TM Lewin Slim Fits. If you want the slimmest shirts (i.e. the shirts which have the smallest chest size for a given neck size) then Hugo Boss Extra Slim Fit is the slimmest I have found.

4. JRolley

Sorry about that I just measured them myself so I guess they're rough but I got 15inch neck and 39inch chest that seem about right? For pants I usually wear with 30/32 waist.
    Thanks for the info btw! What's the average prince points for TM Lewin and Hugo Boss shirts?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  5. Layered Player

Layered Player Well-Known Member

I'm a 16.5-35 with a 42 chest and 34 waist making it near impossible to get an OTR shirt that fits, period.

6. JRolley

7. kulata

kulata Well-Known Member

that's pretty much standard otr size 16.5 shirts measurements you got there. I am 16 with 42 chest and 34 waist, neck fits and chest is off or chest fits neck is too loose or sleeves too long.

8. Midnight

Midnight Well-Known Member

TM Lewin shirts tend to be around $50. Hugo Boss shirts are around $150 each. With TM Lewin, however, there are multi-buy deals and you can get 4 for $40. TM Lewin also do regular voucher code deals.

9. jamesphw

jamesphw Member

The slimmest fit I ever bought was a Hugo boss extra slim fit (and I regret it -- it's too slim for me). Second to that, TM Lewin's John Francomb shirts are your best bet (that I know of, at least).

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  10. House

House Well-Known Member

If you go here they will give you the measurements of different brands

http://www1.bloomingdales.com/shop/mens/dress-shirts?id=17647

And btw, Bloomingsale's on 59th is a top store.

Don't confuse websites that have to reach a much wider clientelle, or outlets or satellite stores in poorer areas with the real thing whether it's Bloomies, BB, Saks, NM etc

11. chet31

chet31 Well-Known Member

Calvin Klein extra slim fit (regular slim fit not slim enough) and Express slim fit (1MX?) are the slimmest shirts I have found OTR. The CKs are decent quality. Out of necessity, I have learned how to take my shirts in, it's one of the easier sewing projects.

12. Chase H

Chase H Well-Known Member

DKNY slim fit is much slimmer than the Express extra slim fit (1mx is a shirting line, not a fit). However, one must be careful to avoid the shrunken collar on many of their patterned offerings. It is wholly inappropriate with a tie.

13. Chase H

Chase H Well-Known Member

Their patterns are beautiful, though. I'm about to use the word rakish unironically, so brace yourself. The DKNY shirts can look positively rakish on a thin gentleman.

Anyway, some of their shirts have normal-sized collars, and the fit's just perfect on me.

NOTE: I am not that gentleman. I doubt anything I wear could be described as "rakish."

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  14. TonyThe Tailor

TonyThe Tailor Well-Known Member

John Varvatos' Star USA shirts are extra trim fit.

15. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Well-Known Member

oh dear god

16. RLiu818

RLiu818 Member

How are the quality of TM Lewin shirts? They are in the same price range as Zara and H&M here in the U.S. so does that mean they are of a lesser quality?

I have broad shoulders with chest size of 41, but size 32 waist. So far the only dress shirt that fits me perfectly OTR is the Prada Poplin shirts size 41/16. Would love to find a cheaper alternative.

17. yywwyy

yywwyy Well-Known Member

Try Kent Wang- Nicely slim indeed.

18. jamesphw

jamesphw Member

The price point certainly suggests pretty low quality. It's inconsistent in my experience. I have some TM Lewin that feel and look like nice shirting fabrics, and look brand new after 15-20 wears. Others look terrible after only 3-4 wears. Overall, I will buy from them again. If you like double cuff, Harvie and Hudson OTR might fit you quite well (my only real complaint for H&H is the sleeves are too wide).

Regarding size, I am 40 chest and 33 waist, and slim fit TM Lewin is probably the best fitting shirt I have found.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  19. vanperodhsy

vanperodhsy Member

Thank you for taking this bold step to talk about your challenge,you represent a good number of men out there who face same predicaments. Sometimes clothes are standardized as the manufacturers target the majority in any demographic group. What the they forget is that there are some men (considered a minority) with unique physiques. Unfortunately this minority group finds it difficult getting ready-made clothes that suit them. Well, to sort yourself, get a renown designer who can tailor your closet with trends that only suit your body shape. I've actually tried to research on available options for your body type without successfully.

20. chet31

chet31 Well-Known Member

I have not found the DKNY slim fit shirts to be slimmer than the Express. However, I have tried on about one of each, so I may have gotten outliers.