1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

slimmer fitting inexpensive (aspossible) dress shirts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by JO3B, Oct 14, 2006.

1. JO3B

JO3B Well-Known Member

could anyone help me out?

not only on a budget, but also in a bit of a time jam.

Anything would be appreciated.

for reference, CHEAP = 50 or less. and id love to go to filenes but, im a tad small and skinnny as well and most of their shirts fit just a bitttt too big.

thanks again in advance,

2. Tomasso

Tomasso Well-Known Member

You can buy from a discounter, like FB, and then have a tailor trim them down.

3. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Well-Known Member

could anyone help me out?

not only on a budget, but also in a bit of a time jam.

Anything would be appreciated.

for reference, CHEAP = 50 or less. and id love to go to filenes but, im a tad small and skinnny as well and most of their shirts fit just a bitttt too big.

thanks again in advance,

since you're in a hurry, options are limited.

h&m is known for fitted items. no experience with them.

outside your range, but i would go with brooks brothers slim fit. $75 each,. 3 for $189. check the clearance section - typically 50% off, making it $37.50.

jos a. bank is at 2 for $119 for their tailored fit. no experience with them. not sure if they're only online, or at the stores.

paul fredrick also has some at $40. appears to be strictly online. no experience with these, as well.

4. NoVaguy

You can buy from a discounter, like FB, and then have a tailor trim them down.

typically another 10 to 20. I've done it for patterned shirts that don't come in tailored/slim fits.

5. Soph

Soph Well-Known Member

Steal Borrellis made for the European Market

6. billiebob

billiebob Well-Known Member

H&M has some of the slimmest cut shirts I've seen. Nice wide shoulders, tapered body and waist, no pleats in the back. The fabrics are nothing special, but not bad, either. These shirts are around $40.

7. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

Jantzen

Since time against you, then not really an option, but definitely note for future.

8. grilledcheese

grilledcheese Well-Known Member

if you're on a budget like that, try missoni if you can find them discounted (pay under $50 or it's not worth it). FB usually has them. i think that they are typically slim fitting and are (in most case) nice shirts.

9. kimizz0

kimizz0 Member

Honestly, I really like Express' 1MX shirts.

10. Arethusa

Arethusa Well-Known Member

Honestly, I really don't.

11. NoVaguy

Honestly, I really like Express' 1MX shirts.

the material really blows. the fit is slightly slimmer than usual, but the material really, really, really blows.

12. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member

For cheaper shirts:

Zara, H&M, Topman, in order of decreasing quality.

Zara occupies a very favourable cost vs. quality pricepoint I feel.

13. Roy Biggins

Roy Biggins Well-Known Member

Benetton and Sisley.

You might be able to find something on sale for $50 or less.

14. Henry Boogers

Henry Boogers Well-Known Member

My tailor does a fantastic job on my non-custom shirts for less than $10. It helps to not be in a major metropolitan area.....

15. Toiletduck

Toiletduck Well-Known Member

H&M > Topshop quality?

Its been a long time since I've been to Topshop, but the one H&M shirt I own is made of really material. As in, it doesn't become holey after 2 wears + washes, but it just feels dirt cheap.

:)

16. luk-cha

luk-cha Well-Known Member

zara use are ok for the money!

17. tiecollector

tiecollector Well-Known Member

I feel my Topshop (TopMan) polos are much better made than my H&M ones.
    The chest actually fits too. You need a concave chest to make the H&M dress shirts fit.

H&M > Topshop quality?

Its been a long time since I've been to Topshop, but the one H&M shirt I own is made of really material. As in, it doesn't become holey after 2 wears + washes, but it just feels dirt cheap.

:)

18. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member

I was in Topshop last week. The quality was appalling. I could see loose threads waiting to unravel, collars that looked as if an elephant had sat on them, etc, etc. Excreble. Really. Maybe I caught them on a bad day. All I wanted was a nice slim-fit lightweight cardigan for a good price and I couldn't even find that. The only one in a natural fibre that they had was a solid black and the nicer stripey ones were acrylic which I hate because of the static.

I was last in H&M about 4 or so months ago and was actually pleasantly surprised at the improvement. Still poor quality and disposable fashion rather than clothing to keep for more than a year or two but much better than what I saw last week in Topshop.

Anyway, just my opinion.

19. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

for $20, Target's Mossimo line of "vintage washed" dress shirts are surprisingly slim. I bought one in a size small and it fits my 38 chest, 33 arm perfectly with the kind of measurements I usually give my tailor to recut my blouse-y shirts into.

20. Carey

Carey Well-Known Member

Nordstrom often has their Boss line of shirts on sale. I don't care for the stiff cotton fabric, but the fit is very trim. I have one of these and although it looks great, it is uncomfortable and does not breathe. I can't recall if it has the slightest bit of lycra, but the damn thing makes me sweat.

Request a follow-up on your success in finding your requirements for an inexpensive, slim fitting shirt. My guess is everything RTW will involve a compromise - and most of these compromises will spoil the find - or your find will be one of fantastic, once in a blue moon stroke of luck. Just like I will never find fully canvassed Polo suits for $200 dollars, like I the four I found in '92 & '93.