1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

sleep paralysis

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by itskub, Jan 7, 2008.

1. sonick

sonick Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if that classifies as a hypnic jerk. From what I understand, Usually those require a muscle spasm in the limbs, possibly a response to the body thinking its dying or thinking its falling due to muscle relaxation.

Get any sound with that? Might be Exploding Head Syndrome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploding_head_syndrome

No, I don't get sounds with that. I'm pretty sure I get jerked awake, but not sure if its actually a spasm; but it for sure comes with a visual "flash".

I've also experienced the Tetris effect after a day of snowboarding. It's quite trippy.

2. Smartalox

Smartalox Well-Known Member

I've had this a few times, notably in times of stress. I'd wake up screaming at the top of my lungs, but my 'paralysis' prevented me from actually making noise and scaring the hell out of the neighbours. One benefit from being in a long-term relationshipis that this has not happened to me since.

Another sleep-realted anomaly was a recurring dream of running down a hall at a school I attended as a child, tripping at the top of a marble staircase, and launching into space in a full bellyflop. I always wake up before landing on the marble below, but often with a violent, body-wide spasm.

3. shibbel

shibbel Well-Known Member

Shit. This happened to me last night for the first time. "Woke up" eyes wide-open and was able to look around the room, but couldn't move my body. I didn't see, or hear anything, but felt terrified of something and imminent death- tried to scream, but obviously could not. The whole episode lasted about 5-10 seconds. I'm certain this is God trying to speak to me.

Here's an artist's rendering:

[​IMG]

I sleep naked in case anyone was wondering.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

^ my visitor usually wears a black cloak. but yeah, its the same wonderful experience.

5. lpalma121

lpalma121 Well-Known Member

This has happened to 3 times in my life. Pretty much the same exact scenario like most here except for the " person" next to me. I felt the presence of someone beside me on all 3 occasions . The worst one was about 10 years ago, it was raining , I'd say about 3-4 in the morning. Woke up, sort of... My eyes were open but I couldn't move anything. The worst part was feeling someone next to me and for while thinking my paralysis was cause by " him" holding me down. To make matters worse I heard a giggle, not even a giggle .. It sounded like an evil laugh like this was funny. All that coupled with the rain hitting my window made this by far the scariest moment in my lifetime. Back then( even today) I never even took a toke of anything and rarely had a drink so I can't say it was induced by substance abuse. Some here think I'm nuts by now but this is one of the only dreams I remember to this day and I know what I saw/ felt. The mind can play tricks on you I suppose.

6. lpalma121

lpalma121 Well-Known Member

Is it a designer cloak? Bespoke or otr?

7. acidboy

one time it was in burberry plaid. that was a real nightmare.

8. Tck13

Tck13 Well-Known Member

This. Strangely I just read about, or heard about this somewhere recently and it's happened to me only once or twice.

9. acidboy

3:50 in the morning, I woke up someone was tapping my leg and when I turned no one was there. dammit.

10. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Well-Known Member

Seems that those of you who experience the 'dead limb' syndrome are possibly sleeping in some creative positions that have inadvertantly led to cutting off your blood circulation. Upon waking, gently massage the dead limb back to life. This method is especially useful in achieving morning wood.

11. Tck13

Tck13 Well-Known Member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]