• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Skyscrapers

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Foster rather likes this X-shape frame. I suppose you won't like the planned The Bow (Calgary):
Encentre-rendering1.jpg

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kent - I don't especially like that rendering - but that's not based on the crossed mullion structure. I think Swiss Re is a successful building that found its place in the London lanscape. The Hearst is just plain fugly from all angles in NYC - it adds nothing to the landscape. I cringe everytime I drive by or see it from the Park. Many of my architect friends disagree with me btw

The Solow building is my second favorite NYC skyscraper
SolowBuilding-001.jpg

Portzamparc's LVMH tower is probably my third (mostly because of what he was able to achieve in such a narrow space)
archi03.jpg

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have always been rather fond of the John Hancock Center in Chicago:

JohnHancockCenter-007.jpg

50_1.jpg

The Sears Tower, on the other hand, I feel is pretty awful.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Man, there are some ugly-ass buildings in this thread.

On the other hand a skyscraper will always be powerful because of its size, so the true art is to make it subtle. It is something that is rarely done as few architects will make a name for themselves out of sheer simplicity.

Couldn't agree more.

On another note, JetBlast's fascination with phallic-shaped objects never ceases to amaze me.
laugh.gif

tundrafour

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Its never going to be known for its excessively tall buildings, but if that is your sole definition of a beautiful skyline, I think you are missing out. The Tokyo skyline is not defined by a few large buildings, it's defined by a carpet of buildings that stretches out as far as the eye can see, creating its own artifical topographic features. There are thousands of unique and beautiful examples of architecture hidden in this panorama of concrete and steel, but if all you look at is the tallest buildings, you'll never see them.

This is an awesome description of Tokyo; I agree completely.

jeansandtshirt

Reaction score
Number one for me...

joh0-023.jpg

Seagrams Building, NY

The thread should have started and ended with this building. IMHO every other skyscraper will be second fiddle to this masterpiece.

LanAltec

Reaction score
Originally Posted by spertia
I have always been rather fond of the John Hancock Center in Chicago:

The Sears Tower, on the other hand, I feel is pretty awful.

I agree. Love the JH Center though.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not the most beautiful, but I like the design of these 2 skyscrapers, because they blend in very well with the local design themes.

Taiwan - Tapei 101:

Malaysia - Petronas Towers

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
The Solow building is my second favorite NYC skyscraper

It's my first.
inlove.gif
I love the graceful curves. Here is a street-level pic showing it in all its beauty. My wife worked for a consulting firm with offices there and I would go to NY for the weekend just to see the building.

solow9w57reflection3febfg9.jpg

The Grace building on 42nd is also beautifully sculpted in the same manner. They are so unique and aesthetically pleasing.

gracegx4.jpg

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The company I work for in Chicago (I'm a telecommuter) used to rent space in a rather nondescript tower, but now I'm happy to call this skyscraper home when I'm in town:

AonCenter-013.jpg

It was designed by Edward Durell Stone and is the third tallest in the U.S.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
It's my first.
inlove.gif
I love the graceful curves. Here is a street-level pic showing it in all its beauty. My wife worked for a consulting firm with offices there and I would go to NY for the weekend just to see the building.

The Grace building on 42nd is also beautifully sculpted in the same manner. They are so unique and aesthetically pleasing.

Wow, those are both great. Who were the architects?

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spertia
Wow, those are both great. Who were the architects?

Skidmore, Owings & Merrill (Gordon Bunshaft)

I personally much prefer the Solow building - more elegant than the Grace and the location/setting is fantastic right at the south border of the Park. The park views from the conference rooms of the Solow building are just mindblowing

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with the Seagram Building being the masterpiece, but why there's no love for the Lever House? 2 Masterpieces right across street from each other:

200592214544pf2.jpg

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LH is beautiful - some of the art that resides in and around the building now is dubious though... too bad because it's a great building

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But the installations, no matter how dubious, are only temporary.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads