1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Skyscrapers

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by JetBlast, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Well-Known Member

I like The Gherkin a lot, my favorite of Foster's works. The HSBC Hong Kong building is not so great and the Millennium Bridge had that trouble with harmonic convergence. The Hearst Tower (New York) is pretty good: [​IMG]

2. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Well-Known Member

The Hearst Tower (New York) is pretty good:

[​IMG]

And it's a Green Building...also, my point of reference when navigating my first days in NY.

3. JetBlast

JetBlast Well-Known Member

4. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

Number one for me...

[​IMG]

Seagrams Building, NY

+1

I work a few blocks away and it is always a pleasure walking by

5. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    yikes - fugly! what an eyesore

HSBC, Commerzbank and Swiss-Re are much better office building works by Foster + Partners (IMO)

6. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Well-Known Member

Foster rather likes this X-shape frame. I suppose you won't like the planned The Bow (Calgary): [​IMG]

7. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

Kent - I don't especially like that rendering - but that's not based on the crossed mullion structure. I think Swiss Re is a successful building that found its place in the London lanscape. The Hearst is just plain fugly from all angles in NYC - it adds nothing to the landscape. I cringe everytime I drive by or see it from the Park. Many of my architect friends disagree with me btw

The Solow building is my second favorite NYC skyscraper
    [​IMG]

Portzamparc's LVMH tower is probably my third (mostly because of what he was able to achieve in such a narrow space)
    [​IMG]

8. spertia

spertia Well-Known Member

I have always been rather fond of the John Hancock Center in Chicago:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Sears Tower, on the other hand, I feel is pretty awful.

9. whacked

whacked Well-Known Member

Man, there are some ugly-ass buildings in this thread.

On the other hand a skyscraper will always be powerful because of its size, so the true art is to make it subtle. It is something that is rarely done as few architects will make a name for themselves out of sheer simplicity.

Couldn't agree more.

On another note, JetBlast's fascination with phallic-shaped objects never ceases to amaze me. [​IMG]

10. tundrafour

tundrafour Well-Known Member

Its never going to be known for its excessively tall buildings, but if that is your sole definition of a beautiful skyline, I think you are missing out. The Tokyo skyline is not defined by a few large buildings, it's defined by a carpet of buildings that stretches out as far as the eye can see, creating its own artifical topographic features. There are thousands of unique and beautiful examples of architecture hidden in this panorama of concrete and steel, but if all you look at is the tallest buildings, you'll never see them.

This is an awesome description of Tokyo; I agree completely.

11. jeansandtshirt

jeansandtshirt Well-Known Member

Number one for me...

[​IMG]

Seagrams Building, NY

The thread should have started and ended with this building. IMHO every other skyscraper will be second fiddle to this masterpiece.

12. LanAltec

LanAltec Well-Known Member

I have always been rather fond of the John Hancock Center in Chicago:

The Sears Tower, on the other hand, I feel is pretty awful.

I agree. Love the JH Center though.

13. Dragon

Dragon Well-Known Member

Not the most beautiful, but I like the design of these 2 skyscrapers, because they blend in very well with the local design themes.

Taiwan - Tapei 101:
    [​IMG]

Malaysia - Petronas Towers
    [​IMG]

14. EL72

EL72 Well-Known Member

The Solow building is my second favorite NYC skyscraper

It's my first. [​IMG] I love the graceful curves. Here is a street-level pic showing it in all its beauty. My wife worked for a consulting firm with offices there and I would go to NY for the weekend just to see the building.

[​IMG]

The Grace building on 42nd is also beautifully sculpted in the same manner. They are so unique and aesthetically pleasing.

[​IMG]

15. spertia

The company I work for in Chicago (I'm a telecommuter) used to rent space in a rather nondescript tower, but now I'm happy to call this skyscraper home when I'm in town:

[​IMG]

It was designed by Edward Durell Stone and is the third tallest in the U.S.

16. spertia

It's my first. [​IMG] I love the graceful curves. Here is a street-level pic showing it in all its beauty. My wife worked for a consulting firm with offices there and I would go to NY for the weekend just to see the building.

The Grace building on 42nd is also beautifully sculpted in the same manner. They are so unique and aesthetically pleasing.

Wow, those are both great. Who were the architects?

17. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

Wow, those are both great. Who were the architects?

Skidmore, Owings & Merrill (Gordon Bunshaft)

I personally much prefer the Solow building - more elegant than the Grace and the location/setting is fantastic right at the south border of the Park. The park views from the conference rooms of the Solow building are just mindblowing

18. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Well-Known Member

I agree with the Seagram Building being the masterpiece, but why there's no love for the Lever House? 2 Masterpieces right across street from each other:

[​IMG]

19. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

LH is beautiful - some of the art that resides in and around the building now is dubious though... too bad because it's a great building

20. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Well-Known Member

But the installations, no matter how dubious, are only temporary.