1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Skoaktiebolaget – Carmina, John Lobb, Enzo Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin’s, Rubinacci – Offi

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Leaves, Feb 27, 2013.

1. watchidiot

watchidiot Well-Known Member

To help imagine how it would look. Something similar to this but in brown hues I guess?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  2. MGD83

MGD83 Well-Known Member

I wonder if the 2102B, 804, and 74945 all fit the same.

3. enyn90

enyn90 Active Member

I notice there is very little to no split toe derby on skoaktiebolaget for carmina online.

any chance we could do a MTO or maybe the guys at skoaktiebolaget plan to bring in something similar, in brown or other friendlier color.

[​IMG]

4. canadianhockey3

canadianhockey3 Well-Known Member

How about a split toe loafer?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

I got in on the dark brown suede Rain last pre-order. I couldn't resist owning a suede cap toe after looking at the Friday challenge from a few weeks back of "The Uniform." I was going to do an EB MTO but didn't like the boot selection.

6. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Do people generally find EG and GG to be of similar quality? I know the former is considered more classic in terms of styling.

7. nickrut

nickrut Well-Known Member

From my experience GG is a bit nicer.

8. Bumble_Bee

Bumble_Bee Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about shoes. Depends on what your want. G&G definitely sleeker, more modern/refined, leather I don't know seems softer and thinner at the same time. EG has this classic elegance, feels sturdier, not as sleek. Slight price differential.

9. dddrees

dddrees Well-Known Member

Nicer in what way? Are we talking with regards to styling or are you referring to something such as materials, finishing, or attention to detail.

10. TtownMD

TtownMD Well-Known Member

I find them both excellent but style wise and I am going strictly by what soak have on there site stock model. G&G to be more sleeker if that makes any sense at least to my taste. It's a personal opinion I own them both & still adding more coming fall. But it's a very personal opinion but they both are excellent shoes :slayer:

11. TtownMD

You nailed it bud I also feel same way EG is very classy but I am not a shoe guru I am sure there are super sleeker EG shoes out there also.

12. Bumble_Bee

Bumble_Bee Well-Known Member

Figure you would know with the 890:)

Personally waiting for the 817. 82 never wowed me, trying to make a sleek 202 just weird me out.

13. TtownMD

890 antique olive is one classy shoe with a modern kick. Next on the menu is G&G Jodhpur & Sinatra wholecut this fall.

1 person likes this.
  14. Shouldaville

Shouldaville Well-Known Member

Yes, it can vary some by batch, but G&G's leather seems to be consistently softer and shows creases less than EG. They are shoes though, and I wouldn't let a crease stop me from getting a specific style I wanted.

15. Faster

Faster Well-Known Member

i would be interested

16. nickrut

nickrut Well-Known Member

I do prefer the styling but I feel that the finishing and attention to detail is a bit better with G&G. I don't have as much experience with EG so that could be somewhat limited though. Have you had a different experience?

17. dddrees

Currently I have only one pair of G&G shoes and 11 pair of EGs with a few of each on the way. So I really don't have much experience with G&G and their are probably many here who would say I have little with EG as well. I really couldn't make any comparisons at this time. So far I have gravitated to EGs style more as you can tell. However other than the obvious differences with regards to their style or Lasts and potentially the leather they use I wouldn't anticipate much difference. I would think both to be at the top of the heap pretty much with the exception of John Lobb and the leather they use. However I certainly would be willing to hear more from people with much more experience than I.

18. Ironist

Ironist Well-Known Member

It is very apparent that GG has better attention to detail and finishing. Fiddleback waist plus their lasts are also cut closer to the foot and tighter. Every single one of my GG shoes has better finishing than all my EG shoes. This is across the same time period and I think I have like 12 of each in various colors. You can very easily see the difference in burnishing. Much better consistency in color too. EG colors are random. GG is not. They are all the colors I would expect when I purchase them. That's a huge deal. When you buy a 1k shoe in dark oak you expect it to be in dark oak and not dark brown.

The best part is GG has come usually within 3-4 months while EG is consistently late. Often 5-7 months. I have had EG shoes rejected but I have yet to have a reject with GG. If they keep the prices the way they are, no reason to go with EG anymore. GG HF!

19. Steel28

Steel28 Well-Known Member

Strong statement.

There is no boot that can top EG Galway in my opinion.

I have yet to try GG yet but it's going to happened very soon. The two pairs of EG I have are true winners for me. Also third pair is coming this month hopefully according to original preorder ;)

20. dddrees

Yeah, I still can't believe they delivered solid brown Galways. Faux Pas, Faux Pas. Bad form guys at EG. I was also rather disappointed that the Falkirks that were received earlier this year had to be stripped and re-polished to look like what the originals that Skoaktiebolaget stocked. Hopefully when I receive mine I wont have to do that to get the color I anticipated getting.

Good feedback and all true from what I've seen. However I am still rather hooked on the more traditional English style over that of the Lasts that G&G uses. I have two G&Gs on order however and these will be a test for me to see how well I like the fit and the look on my feet.