1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Skoaktiebolaget – Carmina, John Lobb, Enzo Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin’s, Rubinacci – Offi

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Leaves, Feb 27, 2013.

1. stmaier

stmaier Well-Known Member

Patrik was trying to get me to go with almond country calf for the Alderley...this may be my next purchase...

2. DRAGUI99

DRAGUI99 Well-Known Member

Those boots are incredible! (especially the Galways) Do you know if there will be another MTO of that kind ?

3. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Well-Known Member

I think it is time again to have a group MTO for Galways... in Edwardian uppers and Almond Country calf for the shaft, flat welt, ALL eyelets, and double leather sole. :)

Who's with me? :slayer:

4. gordon86

gordon86 Member

5. meister

meister Well-Known Member

Leaves what Carmina last is closest to the EG202?

6. Leaves

Leaves Well-Known Member

I would prefer to do them in Antique Brown Grain, because I don't think Carmina does the dark brown Hatch Grain. And I would prefer to evaluate Hatch Grain a little more before we roll out more pairs, I heard AS had problems with their Hatch Grain although I think this was an unfinished version, Carmina finishes they Hatch Grain themselves. We've had no reports of any issues from any of our clients.
    In style or fit? In style it's kinda hard because Carmina does not actually have that very round, blunt last. Maybe Oscar but 202 is more blunt and bulby.

7. Vodking

Vodking Well-Known Member

Interesting news, I was waiting for those AS problems to blow over before placing a hatch grain order with Carmina.

8. Leaves

Leaves Well-Known Member

I just added Burgol shoe polish to our web shop, I know a lot of you guys have wanted to try this Swiss manufacturer out as a comparison to Saphir and other premium polish brands. What sets Burgol apart from Saphir Medal d'Or (I've used this product for several years) is that I find it easier to get a high shine faster with Burgol.
    [​IMG]

I've also added our long awaited restock of Carmina belts to the store.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. spicycho

spicycho Well-Known Member

Is the last one cognac?

10. Leaves

Leaves Well-Known Member

I think Carmina calls it Cognac Calf in English which can be confusing so we call it tanned calf. In Spanish it's called Vegano Cuero.

11. SHS

SHS Well-Known Member

I see that Bonafè's homepage describes goodyear construction as "Hand stitiching" and "The hand made shoe by definition":

http://www.enzobonafe.com/english/good-year-workmanship.html

That is oxymorons as I understand it.

Do you know if Bonafè is genuinely hand welted - like Vass, St. Crispins, various bespoke etc. - or Goodyear welted?

Perhaps the term "Goodyear" has become so pervasive as a sign of quality that even hand welted shoes has to be described this way.

12. Frank the sheep

Frank the sheep Well-Known Member

They are hand welted it's just the italians that call it goodyear. The reason is that "everyone" knows that goodyear means quality but few know what hand welt means.

13. SHS

SHS Well-Known Member

Thanks, I suspected as much.

14. Leaves

Leaves Well-Known Member

They are genuinely hand welted as can be seen in this video I shot in the Bonafé factory. They have a Goodyear production line system, just like EG, G&G or Carmina but where the Goodyear welting machine should be there are two old dudes hand welting. The amount of time that goes into just hand welting is staggering compared to a machine welted shoe. Just as Frank says, the Goodyear welted terminology is used widely in Italy whether the shoes are hand or machine welted, a bit confusing really.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

2 people like this.
  15. SHS

SHS Well-Known Member

Thanks Leaves. Nice video. Great that you are offering these shoes in Scandinavia.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  16. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

There's something wonderfully appropriate about hand welting being done by "two old dudes". [​IMG]

17. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

That's a great vid, thanks for posting that :nodding:

18. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Well-Known Member

Just wanted to thank the SkoAB team for helping me with Carmina/G&G size comparison and for pointing me in the right direction concerning a Carmina model they've stocked preciously.

Didn't place an order at their website this time as they had run out of the model and size I was looking for, but will pay a visit to the store in Stockholm late January. I'm looking for colors close to Vass Antique Cognac and/or Oxblood and hope to find what I'm looking for at SkoAB.

Thanks once again.

19. dlind

dlind Well-Known Member

How is the sole attached to the welt? by machine or hand? Obviously the video shows the welt being attached to the insole/uppers but is the sole attached by hand as well?

20. Leaves

Leaves Well-Known Member

Off to Pitti, back next weekend!